The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161517 times)

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #540 on: Nov 10, 2015, 05:43 PM »
While I was at the VA hospital (getting what I hope is the last chunk of shrapnel cut out from Afghanistan?), a idea came to me.  So today I bought a 1/2" fine thread harden bolt 2 1/2" long.  I took my drill off, and tighten the bolt in and loosen up the side plate.  I then cut the head off the bolt and ground 4 flat sides on it, then screwed down my 19.2 volt hammer drill with a 4 ah battery, and tightened the side plate, and used some velcro to hold the drill.  I had to move the trigger plate out a inch, and away 1/4" and drilled a new bolt whole for the trigger paddle.  Works great in the air, and I can get my drill off quick.  Cant wait for ice to see how it works this winter, or if I need to buy a new Clam plate?  Lol

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #541 on: Nov 11, 2015, 07:33 AM »
yup. I did the same thing last year. Worked great!

Thank you sir for your service.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #542 on: Nov 13, 2015, 11:09 AM »
The adapters and plates are still throwing me off. 

If I buy the M18 and a lazer, I'd like to try it witout the clam plate first.  What adapter would I buy to use these 2 together?

It sounds like a lot of you guys will recommend buying the Clam plate, but I'm thick and I'd like to try drilling holes with just the side handle on the drill first.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #543 on: Nov 13, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Hold the drill lightly in case the auger binds in the hole. Otherwise it will damage you wrist.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #544 on: Nov 13, 2015, 01:05 PM »
Am I hearing correct that even with a Clam plate, the new 1200# torque Milwaukee can still be a handful occasionally if the auger bites ?  That you still better hang on tight.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #545 on: Nov 13, 2015, 03:44 PM »
solid advice gents.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #546 on: Nov 13, 2015, 09:14 PM »

If I buy the M18 and a lazer, I'd like to try it witout the clam plate first.  What adapter would I buy to use these 2 together?

Ice Master auger adapter
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #547 on: Nov 17, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Am I hearing correct that even with a Clam plate, the new 1200# torque Milwaukee can still be a handful occasionally if the auger bites ?  That you still better hang on tight.

The current Gen 1 M18 Fuel drill already is a hand full when it bites.  Best be ready when that happens or you will be thrown and shook like a rag doll on the ice.

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:47 PM »

It sounds like a lot of you guys will recommend buying the Clam plate, but I'm thick and I'd like to try drilling holes with just the side handle on the drill first.

Although I can't speak for your exact drill/auger combo (I use a 6" Mora and a Dewalt 18v drill) I drill without the plate with no issues.  I forgot my drill handle the first time I used it and it drilled so easy I didn't bother putting it on.  I used it all of last season.  I can't remember what adapter I bought but I think they're one size fits most.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #549 on: Nov 17, 2015, 07:40 PM »
I have used that same combination but found that sometimes the auger jams. When that happens the drill gets wrenched from my hands and if I'm not careful my hand/wrist gets wrenched and injured too. I think the Clam plate would at least partially protect from that type of hazard.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #550 on: Nov 30, 2015, 09:10 AM »
I went to check on the battery prices at Home Depot. They had the Ridgid 4amp batteries still listed at $99 a piece.... or... I could by a set of 2  4amp batteries for $99!!! Tough choice, I bought a pair.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #551 on: Dec 02, 2015, 02:48 PM »
Am I correct in saying we need to go from a 1/2"-20 female to a 9/16"-18? If so there is plenty of material, as the tap drill is 1/2 to 33/64". Piece of cake. Just getting back on the site, guess I have some catching up to do. Don't throw away the old clam plates, they can be modified for sure.  ;)

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #552 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:03 PM »

The current Gen 1 M18 Fuel drill already is a hand full when it bites.  Best be ready when that happens or you will be thrown and shook like a rag doll on the ice.

I just got the 1200# model in today.  I will post a review after I have a chance to try it out.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #553 on: Dec 02, 2015, 07:29 PM »
Am I correct in saying we need to go from a 1/2"-20 female to a 9/16"-18? If so there is plenty of material, as the tap drill is 1/2 to 33/64". Piece of cake. Just getting back on the site, guess I have some catching up to do. Don't throw away the old clam plates, they can be modified for sure.  ;)

You do need to take .120 " off the end of the clam adapter or the LH screw will not engage properly and drill thru .328 (21/64) clearance for the new
8mm LH thd. chuck screw.
ALSO bore and thread 9/16-18. If you drill and tap, the new thread will not run concentric with the 1' diameter which fits inside the bearing.
Not running concentric will cause the auger to spin in a larger circle and rob cutting power from your drill/auger.

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Leave Some For Seed

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #554 on: Dec 07, 2015, 08:29 AM »
Ok guys been out of ice fishing for a long time. 63 years old and this clam plate and this forum caught my eye, first post. I have a milwaukee 18v fuel already. Would a Srikemaster lazer 7" work or is there something else in 7" that would work better? Would really like to go bigger than 6". Glad I found this forum!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #555 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Ok guys been out of ice fishing for a long time. 63 years old and this clam plate and this forum caught my eye, first post. I have a milwaukee 18v fuel already. Would a Srikemaster lazer 7" work or is there something else in 7" that would work better? Would really like to go bigger than 6". Glad I found this forum!!!

I believe Clam recommends a 6 inch or less drill unit .Also the Lazers tend to "bite " at the bottom of the hole .

I would love to see pictures of the "newly homemade adapters " for the older Clam plate design.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #556 on: Dec 07, 2015, 05:17 PM »

If it is the brushless fuel with 725in/lbs or more you can run a 7in lazer. I started with a 7in Eskimo shaver last year, converted that to a 7in lazer, then went to an 8in blue nils with a red cutting heat. Unit cut fine with all of them.

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #557 on: Dec 07, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Did you get more holes with the 7" lazer or the Nils?
Thanks for the fast responses guys.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #558 on: Dec 07, 2015, 06:49 PM »
Did you get more holes with the 7" lazer or the Nils?
Thanks for the fast responses guys.

Can't really tell you for sure. We just kinda fished and moved around. My guess is I would get somewhere around 25-30holes on 2 foot of ice. With a 4amp battery. I always had a spare battery in a soft pack cooler, but never needed it. I personally think the 8in nils cuts easier then the 7in lazer plus it doesn't catch on the hole when breaking through the bottom. Both work fine. Just make sure the drill is set correctly.

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #559 on: Dec 08, 2015, 03:31 PM »
One more question. How deep can you drill with a blue Nils without extension?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #560 on: Dec 12, 2015, 10:04 AM »
One more question. How deep can you drill with a blue Nils without extension?

50in until you would be at the top end of the auger shaft.

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #561 on: Dec 14, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Does the 7" lazer hang up on the bottom? Thinking of going 7" mora read they don't hang up like a lazer. Worried the 8" nils is to much for the drill. Maybe could drill more holes with a 7" also.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #562 on: Dec 15, 2015, 05:55 AM »
Does the 7" lazer hang up on the bottom? Thinking of going 7" mora read they don't hang up like a lazer. Worried the 8" nils is to much for the drill. Maybe could drill more holes with a 7" also.

8" Nils will be less on your drill than a 7" Mora
Gunnerdog

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #563 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I haven't used it yet, and I understand the reviewers on Amazon may not be the best market for reviews on a tool, but so far, the 4 reviews on the m18 Gen2 are ugly.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #564 on: Dec 17, 2015, 04:29 PM »
I haven't used it yet, and I understand the reviewers on Amazon may not be the best market for reviews on a tool, but so far, the 4 reviews on the m18 Gen2 are ugly.
                           I have a m18 (2604-22) I think, 6" lazer and have had no problems, as well as 3 buddies have the same set up with the clam plate,(lazer also) and they have had no problems either!  Don't know there might be a couple lemons out there!

Offline daman4799

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #565 on: Dec 20, 2015, 06:23 PM »
I bought the new clam plate no chuck removal. Having problems with the way it fits. The shaft for the auger is about .705  The opening on the auger is .750. The auger wobbles which I think would take away from battery life. Was the older plates made the same way?

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #566 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:09 PM »
I bought the new clam plate no chuck removal. Having problems with the way it fits. The shaft for the auger is about .705  The opening on the auger is .750. The auger wobbles which I think would take away from battery life. Was the older plates made the same way?

Common issue when using different brand ice bit.  Use black electrical tape and wrap around just enough on the shaft that it stops the wobble.

Offline rolfe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #567 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Use strip of aluminum can as a shim. Cut to size and wrap around shaft.

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #568 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:33 AM »
The bad reviews from DIY'ers and Contractors on the Gen 2 Fuel keep coming in.  Are any ice fishermen using it yet, or is everyone still using the Gen1?

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #569 on: Jan 05, 2016, 09:10 AM »
The bad reviews from DIY'ers and Contractors on the Gen 2 Fuel keep coming in.  Are any ice fishermen using it yet, or is everyone still using the Gen1?
For cutting ice, the 750 or 1200 both do well with not too much torque. The side handle is poorly designed for hole saws above 5" as it has enough torque to break the connection and damage the body of the drill where the handle connects. Makita side handle is a much better design and has no problem keeping up with the M18 1200. The only reason I choose to take the M18 over the Makita on ice is that I use other Milwaukee products while fishing and can keep the same battery system for everything else. Where are you reading the reviews and what problems are others having? I just ordered an M18 Super Hawg and will be using it with a 10" Nils. Should be a fun experiment...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.