The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161494 times)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #510 on: Oct 31, 2015, 09:08 AM »
I just don't get it. I just went to the Home depot web site to check on battery prices for the Ridgids. Still $99 bucks a piece. The thing is, they have the 18v hammer drill with an impact drill and 2 4ah batteries on sale for $229 with free shipping. So I either can spend $200 for a pair of batteries with 3 year warranties or spend $230 for a new drill and impact and a pair of batteries And a friggin tool bag with lifetime warranties. Why are the batteries by themselves so expensive? It makes no sense. >:(

Offline zip7111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #511 on: Oct 31, 2015, 04:42 PM »
Will I have any trouble mounting my 6" strikemaster lazer up to this unit?  I am guessing most of you guys are using the extension as well?  It looks pretty short without one.  Thanks,
Steve

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #512 on: Nov 01, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Just bought the new plate for 66.99. Wasn't interested in taking my drill apart so this will work great. Any idea how many holes I'll get with my 18v milwaukee fuel with 4 ah battery using an 8 inch fin bore?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #513 on: Nov 01, 2015, 05:33 PM »
Just bought the new plate for 66.99. Wasn't interested in taking my drill apart so this will work great. Any idea how many holes I'll get with my 18v milwaukee fuel with 4 ah battery using an 8 inch fin bore?

Depends on ice thickness. I drilled around 30holes in about 2ft of ice and battery left. They were spread out and not one right after the other. I also would keep my auger in the back part of my sled in a heated shack when really cold out.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #514 on: Nov 01, 2015, 05:36 PM »
Depends on ice thickness. I drilled around 30holes in about 2ft of ice and battery left. They were spread out and not one right after the other. I also would keep my auger in the back part of my sled in a heated shack when really cold out.

That's not bad! I have two batteries also. If I could get 50-60 holes through 2 feet of ice I'll be happy

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #515 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:02 PM »
That's not bad! I have two batteries also. If I could get 50-60 holes through 2 feet of ice I'll be happy

You should get close to that with two batteries if they are 4amp+. The big ticket item comes out in Jan I believe with Milwaukee releasing a 9amp battery. That should add some serious # to the amount of holes a guy can cut on a battery. I was using an 8in nils when cutting my holes.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #516 on: Nov 01, 2015, 06:04 PM »
You should get close to that with two batteries if they are 4amp+. The big ticket item comes out in Jan I believe with Milwaukee releasing a 9amp battery. That should add some serious # to the amount of holes a guy can cut on a battery. I was using an 8in nils when cutting my holes.

Yeah I read that. The new 5ah cost 125 I can't imagine what the 9 will cost.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #517 on: Nov 02, 2015, 12:04 PM »
The Milwaukee 18v batteries always seem to run at a consistant price of $120ish retail. I have never paid anywhere near the retail price.... It has been my experience that new 4-5ah batteries can just about always be found in the $40-50ish range on Ebay or Amazon. I'm hoping this is the case with the 9ah battery as well. :tipup:

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #518 on: Nov 02, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Regarding the M18 batteries , I heard that new 6ah batteries are ready, and I suppose marketing is waiting for the right time to release.  As far as the future 9ah batteries, I thought I read somewhere that they will not fit the current series of Fuel drills that use the "XC" design batteries.  The 9ah is strictly for certain high power need tools…saws, etc. 

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #519 on: Nov 02, 2015, 01:59 PM »
Regarding the M18 batteries , I heard that new 6ah batteries are ready, and I suppose marketing is waiting for the right time to release.  As far as the future 9ah batteries, I thought I read somewhere that they will not fit the current series of Fuel drills that use the "XC" design batteries.  The 9ah is strictly for certain high power need tools…saws, etc.

If this is true about the 9ah all I can say is boooooooooooooo

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #520 on: Nov 02, 2015, 02:32 PM »
That information is incorrect.The 6ah and 9ah Milwaukee batteries are due out in January and they will fit the Fuel line of tools. The only difference will be the 9ah pack is deeper due to the extra row of lithium cells that have been added. The 9ah pack will be the cats meow on the Clam plate/Fuel auger as its claimed that the 9ah will be able to provide twice the run time that a 5ah pack provides due to a cooler running temperature due to more cells in the pack.

luv2fish2

« Reply #521 on: Nov 02, 2015, 04:47 PM »
i want one  :o hope they're not out of this world money wise sure would be nice to take only one battery and know you've got enough juice for the day  ;D

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #522 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:14 PM »
Is Clam sale'ing the new adaptor to convert the old one to the new style so we don't have to take our chucks off anymore?  Or are we out of luck, and have to buy the new one?

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #523 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Is Clam sale'ing the new adaptor to convert the old one to the new style so we don't have to take our chucks off anymore?  Or are we out of luck, and have to buy the new one?

I don't think so dude but I would be pissed if I were in your shoes.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #524 on: Nov 02, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Call Clam and request one.... I know that one is not currently available however if enough people made them aware of this issue they may choose to make them available.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #525 on: Nov 02, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Call Clam and request one.... I know that one is not currently available however if enough people made them aware of this issue they may choose to make them available.

Would probably be a pita conversion would be nice if they offered an exchange program where people could pay the difference then they could modify and resell but I'm sure that's wishful thinking

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #526 on: Nov 07, 2015, 03:36 PM »
I called Clam,

and had a nice curtest call.  New one is totally different design, and the center part is small and would not line up or fit.  Sorry, you will have to buy the new model if you don't want to take off your chuck.

Oh well, it was worth a try.  I might go ahead and buy a new one, and give the old one to my ex-brother in-law.  Lol

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #527 on: Nov 07, 2015, 04:03 PM »
I called Clam,

and had a nice curtest call.  New one is totally different design, and the center part is small and would not line up or fit.  Sorry, you will have to buy the new model if you don't want to take off your chuck.

Oh well, it was worth a try.  I might go ahead and buy a new one, and give the old one to my ex-brother in-law.  Lol

I would just buy a second bare tool, and leave the one on the old clam plate. Cost would be about the same.

luv2fish2

« Reply #528 on: Nov 07, 2015, 06:43 PM »
yeah thats what i did a dedicated drill for my old style clam plate second bare tool for summer time drilling i like the fact it's not possible to round of that shank on my old style
I would just buy a second bare tool, and leave the one on the old clam plate. Cost would be about the same.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #529 on: Nov 07, 2015, 07:35 PM »

Not sure if that's true on a milwaukee 18v though.

Edit: especially with batteries

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #530 on: Nov 07, 2015, 09:01 PM »

Hey your mail box is full. Did you have any luck getting the shaft for the old clam plate drilled and tapped for the new 1200in/lb milwaukee

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #531 on: Nov 08, 2015, 12:07 PM »

Being made over there, getting parts would be sometime mid-next-year. And I'm sure Clam is not that interested in selling us a $10 part that will eliminate the need for us to buy a new model. There is also the taller plate that the drill clamps to.
Repeating myself, I think some will have issues with the new shaft as the material will need to be of better quality and heat-treatment. I'm guessing the new Clam shaft will give some users problems much like the Nils cordless drill auger did this past winter.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #532 on: Nov 08, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Hey your mail box is full. Did you have any luck getting the shaft for the old clam plate drilled and tapped for the new 1200in/lb milwaukee
Sorry about the mailbox being full... i guess my militia membership ran out??? I kinda thought I would get a notice when it was time to renew. The I haven't gotten my auger adapter back yet hopefully this week it will show up.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #533 on: Nov 08, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Sorry about the mailbox being full... i guess my militia membership ran out??? I kinda thought I would get a notice when it was time to renew. The I haven't gotten my auger adapter back yet hopefully this week it will show up.

Got your message your box is still full

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #534 on: Nov 08, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I paid it tonite... Hard telling how long it will take to get my mailbox back.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #535 on: Nov 09, 2015, 12:17 PM »
Has anyone seen any videos of a clam plate paired with a 6" or 8" k-drill??

luva
Let's fish it.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #536 on: Nov 09, 2015, 06:10 PM »
I removed the retaining bolt and chuck from the new Milwaukee drill tonite.  I didn't think it was much tougher to get off than the 725 in/lb model was. There is a rumor that my 9/16-18 threaded adapter will be in my hands tomorrow...

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #537 on: Nov 09, 2015, 07:27 PM »
I removed the retaining bolt and chuck from the new Milwaukee drill tonite.  I didn't think it was much tougher to get off than the 725 in/lb model was. There is a rumor that my 9/16-18 threaded adapter will be in my hands tomorrow...

Sounds good. Are you adapting to last years Clam Plate?
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #538 on: Nov 09, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Yeah... I have a Machinist working on it... He has it a couple weeks and I should have it back tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to get it put together.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #539 on: Nov 09, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Not sure if that's true on a milwaukee 18v though.

Edit: especially with batteries
i

why would you buy more batteries? You'd already have the ones for the drill on the plate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.