The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161477 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #270 on: Dec 25, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Question....when drilling on the slow speed, do you guys pull the trigger all the way to maximize the drill speed or do like 1/2 way?

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #271 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!! The only problem is I only have (1) 4 am/hr batter and would likely need around 3 for all the holes I drill each outing.  The 790 is a brushless drill, however you still would suggest moving up to the 900 series?

Use what you have. If you burn it up ( I doubt it), you can go on fleabay and just get a drill without batteries cheap.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #272 on: Dec 25, 2014, 11:43 PM »
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!! The only problem is I only have (1) 4 am/hr batter and would likely need around 3 for all the holes I drill each outing.  The 790 is a brushless drill, however you still would suggest moving up to the 900 series?

all I can say is try it once and see how it works for you. if it doesn't perform to your liking then at that time look at getting a 900 series drill. the big thing to remember when putting the plate together is to make sure you put some anti seize on the shaft of the drill where the adapter that comes with the plate attaches. I didn't with the 771 and had to order a new replacement adapter from Clam since I couldn't get it off the 771 after it was on it.  one other thing is  if you do use the 790 then go no bigger then a 6 inch auger.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline madball13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #273 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:25 AM »
im thinking of this one:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-DCD985M2/204210929

I have a need for a decent drill and I don't see many other drills with the speed settings and the 4ah lithium batteries.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #274 on: Dec 27, 2014, 07:34 AM »
A lot of guys are using this.  The lowest speed setting is still pretty fast, so I don't know that the extra speed buys you anything (good for an auger that is).   

I have a hitachi drill which is fine for anything I need to do around the house.  I felt kind of bad taking the chuck off my new Milwaukee Fuel drill and putting it on a clam plate knowing that may make it a permanent ice auger, but I still have the hitachi for almost anything else (except the hammer function, I may want that).  And I am certainly going to be buying a bare fuel circular saw  too (Milwaukee makes a brushless 7 1/4" cordless saw now).

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #275 on: Dec 27, 2014, 11:37 AM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #277 on: Dec 27, 2014, 02:32 PM »

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #278 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Keep in mind this drill is brand new and reliability isn't proven yet for our application.
No Clam adaptor required with the Makita. It is the real deal. Turns an 8" Nils at least as well, if not better than the Milwaukee. Longer handle makes the Clam unnecessary at best and a waste on money at worst. On other augers that create more torque, the Clam may have some merit When it comes to safety. I am ready to put a 10" on the Makita just out of curiosity.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #279 on: Dec 27, 2014, 03:34 PM »
BTW, the chuck on the Makita is not as good as the Milwaukee IMO.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #280 on: Dec 27, 2014, 06:31 PM »
This is the second year as far as I know this topic has been going strong. Thanks to guys like pointerguy who did a lot of testing, all the new guys going this route and suppiling info we should have a good handle by  season end what works well and what doesn't.  I'll be using the Milwaukee fuel with a 7" SM Lazer, or my 35 year old 7" Mora. Might buy the 5.0Ah Battery, That's if we get ice here in western NY  >:(  Took a look at the Dewalt link but can't find the In/Lb rating  :-\

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #281 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:32 PM »
This is the second year as far as I know this topic has been going strong. Thanks to guys like pointerguy who did a lot of testing, all the new guys going this route and suppiling info we should have a good handle by  season end what works well and what doesn't.  I'll be using the Milwaukee fuel with a 7" SM Lazer, or my 35 year old 7" Mora. Might buy the 5.0Ah Battery, That's if we get ice here in western NY  >:(  Took a look at the Dewalt link but can't find the In/Lb rating  :-\

Dewalt 900 series are at 705 in/lbs of torque, and Dewalt 700 series are around 400 in/lbs of torque!! Hope this helps!!

Also, has anyone paired up a drill with the clam plate and 6" hills? wondering how it works!!
Let's fish it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #282 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:48 PM »
Yeah the nils will cut like butter. If you can get the adaptor.......ebay has a guy selling the adaptor he makes for $29.

I've got an 8in nils i'm going to try with the milwaukee fuel.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #283 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:59 AM »
Yeah the nils will cut like butter. If you can get the adaptor.......ebay has a guy selling the adaptor he makes for $29.

I've got an 8in nils i'm going to try with the milwaukee fuel.

Thanks sir, just got a 6" nils and the clam plate in Cabelas for good price, plus $20 off!  I will check into the adapter on ebay.

Thanks sir!
Let's fish it.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #284 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Keep in mind this drill is brand new and reliability isn't proven yet for our application.

This line of Makita is contractor grade equipment. I have no doubt it will perform for the long haul. I have 200+ inches (8" nils) of ice on my first battery and its still showing full charge. Every time I'm out I want to go over and drill holes for guys using their gas auger.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #285 on: Dec 28, 2014, 04:00 PM »
just put another 160" on the same battery (makita 4ah battery) 360+ inches and the battery shows 2/3 full... I won't charge it until I drain it  ;D

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #286 on: Dec 28, 2014, 04:23 PM »
So I just bought the clam plate, and noticed the bearing is cock-eyed...has anyone had this problem? And do you just need to straighten it out or take it back and get another one?  Thanks!!
Let's fish it.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #287 on: Dec 28, 2014, 04:29 PM »
So I just bought the clam plate, and noticed the bearing is cock-eyed...has anyone had this problem? And do you just need to straighten it out or take it back and get another one?  Thanks!!

the bearing will move and adjust. when you put thdrill on make sure the shaft shoots straight down then tighten the u bolt around the drill handle.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #288 on: Dec 28, 2014, 09:58 PM »
the bearing will move and adjust. when you put thdrill on make sure the shaft shoots straight down then tighten the u bolt around the drill handle.

Thank you, wondered about that but wasn't for sure! 

Thanks guys for all the wonderful input, very helpful.
Let's fish it.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #289 on: Dec 29, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Was going 4 the Ridgid, but can't argue w/ the torque of the Makita!  SOLD
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #290 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Was going 4 the Ridgid, but can't argue w/ the torque of the Makita!  SOLD

Heah kinda disapointed. I got my milwaukee.......earlie r.........now the makita sounds like the nuts.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #291 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Heah kinda disapointed. I got my milwaukee.......earlie r.........now the makita sounds like the nuts.
I own both. The Milwaukee can hold its own.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #292 on: Dec 29, 2014, 07:45 PM »

Good to hear.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #293 on: Dec 30, 2014, 01:02 AM »

Any noticeable difference in performance between the two?
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #294 on: Dec 30, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Exactly, I hand this happen this spring when i tried to remove the adapter

What  I found was the adapter end  locks tight against the drill  over time while drilling holes and causing it to be tough to remove so i ended up putting a thin plastic washer between the adapter and drill .

Rereading this post I wonder if the washer goes on the end of the 1/2-20 threaded drill shaft (like a spacer) or over the threads like you normally picture a washer being used.  Please clarify.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #295 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:37 AM »
Which one would you choose  ???

Milwaukee with the optional 5.0 Battery  725 in.lbs torque  Or the Makita 4.0 Ah Battery  1090 in. lbs torque.

Torque Vs. Ah

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #296 on: Dec 30, 2014, 09:41 AM »
Which one would you choose  ???

Milwaukee with the optional 5.0 Battery  725 in.lbs torque  Or the Makita 4.0 Ah Battery  1090 in. lbs torque.

Torque Vs. Ah

Torque is what turns the auger, the battery is the gas tank. Can you have to much power? Fyi it looks like Mikita is selling 5ah batteries in Europe so hopefully we will see them soon. P/n BL1850

Offline BobberdownLP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #297 on: Dec 30, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Just installed my older brushed Makita LXT BDF451 (560 in.lbs.) to the Clam plate and a 8" Strikemaster lazer auger.  Was surprised how well it did.  I was only drilling through 8" of ice but managed to drill 15 holes before I got too cold. (-25 windchill).  I cant wait until the XPH07 comes in! I ordered it Monday off Amazon and it was $25 off! I paid $104 for the tool (no batteries).  I have 3 3.0 AH batteries which I will make do until I get the 5's.  So far very impressed!

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #298 on: Dec 30, 2014, 06:29 PM »
Rereading this post I wonder if the washer goes on the end of the 1/2-20 threaded drill shaft (like a spacer) or over the threads like you normally picture a washer being used.  Please clarify.

The second part of your question is what i was referring to. " over the threads like you normally picture a washer being used."

Offline MJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #299 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Just got the conversion plate. Hoping my Ryobi 18vlt will get the job done. Way things are looking right now we will probably only see a few inches of ice this season (if any at all) :(
**HARD WATER MAFIA**

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.