The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161510 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #210 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Last year I used a 18v xrp dewalt with the 2.6 ah ni-cad batteries, with and 8" mora, I could drill about 7 holes through 20" of ice on a new bat with a fresh charge.  It worked ok, but it was hard on the drill, and I burned up multiple switches. Lucky me, being a contractor I have parts drills laying around to scavenge from.  I tried a 20v max compact dewalt, the 2 speed drill spun way to fast and drilled 1 hole and I was done trying that!  Every hole I drilled last year I thought "man that thing spins fast"  at 450 rpm in speed 1 on an xrp, is just too fast.  Yesterday I decided to play around with the idea of a gear reduction mount for a cordless drill.  Theory being if I could make the auger spin slower at the head and stay at 450rpm wide open power on the drill, it would have more torque and not struggle with the 8" head.  Then it hit me, thinking of a gears on a mountain bike, so I figured thats what I would do.  So I took a cut off wheel to an old junk bike, cutting out where the crank goes through the frame and also cut the rear hub from the wheel of a 20" bike. That gave me two hubs with races and bearings.  Took the front gears from a adult 1 speed bike (48 teeth) and the sprocket from a kids 20"bike (18) teeth, which left me a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio. which at 450 at the drill leaves me 180 rpm at the head.  Which is a much safer speed anyway.  So I took various pieces of these 2 junk bikes and made a  2.5/1 gear reduction auger for a  cordless drill, it is lightweight, compact, comfortable to hold, oh I almost forgot...... the drill comes right off with a velcro strap and loosening the chuck and comes to work with me!  This thing is freakin cool!!! I will post a few picks after I give it a paint job.  This is what cordless drills need to drill 8" holes without burning up. Not more power, just spin slower!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #211 on: Dec 14, 2014, 09:53 AM »
That's a really good idea.  I'm surprised none of the "big boys" (i.e., clam) haven't built some sort of reduction gearing into their product. 

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #212 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:13 AM »
I just picked up a Hitachi drill for this plate.  Lifetime replacement warranty on the drill.  2 - 3AH batteries.  This is a brushless, hammer drill with 654 lbs of torque.  The part I really liked is that the Hitachi has a high/low switch on the top but it also has a button that provides you 4 speed settings for both the high and low ranges.  So, you end up with 8 total speed settings.  The torque is the same on all settings, it is just the RPMs that change.  You can really slow the drill down, even on the low setting.  Looks like the ticket for this set up. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #213 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:19 AM »
One other question; does anyone have the Clam auger extension for this unit?  I ordered one but started thinking about assembly.  How do you get the screw back into the end of the chuck with this extension on?  I'm talking the screw that goes into the post that the drill chuck screws onto?  Does the extension come in two pieces or is there some other way you get that screw back in?  Or, do you put the screw in before you screw the extension on? 

Thanks!
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:09 AM »
One other question; does anyone have the Clam auger extension for this unit?  I ordered one but started thinking about assembly.  How do you get the screw back into the end of the chuck with this extension on?  I'm talking the screw that goes into the post that the drill chuck screws onto?  Does the extension come in two pieces or is there some other way you get that screw back in?  Or, do you put the screw in before you screw the extension on? 

Thanks!

No problem.  The screw for the chuck goes in first, then you attach the extension.  The extension attaches just like the lower half of your auger.  You can use the big wing nut type thing or the socket head bolts (which I like since I don't plan on disassembling for travel).

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:42 AM »
That's a really good idea.  I'm surprised none of the "big boys" (i.e., clam) haven't built some sort of reduction gearing into their product.

I was unable to find any info on building it or seen anything quite like it.  Which brings to me the questions why?  It only makes sense, slow speed = more torque......Having the correct gear ratio is really important to maintain drills life. And it is effortless for the drill to spin it with the bearings, I built mine to fill a hole that the consumer market doesn't fill.  That is how I design most of my gear, I think it is important for products to be field tested by the average consumer, not pro's with unlimited budgets. Maybe if all goes well, I may make a few to sell. The kicker is the drill and auger come right off in a few seconds and the reduction unit only weights a few pounds.  2.5to1 ratio = 2.5 times the power I can't wait to get some ice here in Pa to pop a few. 

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Dec 14, 2014, 03:02 PM »
This guy has a gear reducing adapter already for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ice-kicker-II-geared-portable-ice-fishing-auger-adapter-/151479021963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2344da718b

Same sort of idea, but that one doesn't hold the drill, or give you much to push on, plus if it bound up it would break your hand, could use a few improvements but looks like a good concept.  My design is similar but has throttle control, holds the drill, plus gives you a sturdy platform to push on.  Thanks for posting it, good to see others on the right path with gear reduction for cordless drills. 

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #218 on: Dec 14, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I read on the package that the ball bearing "absorbs load from the auger so the drill is only used to spin the auger - not to support the auger torque- which greatly extends the life of the drill"

I think this is somewhat misleading.  The bearing removes the axial load from the drill but does nothing at all with the torque, except make it easier for the user to control.  The drill is seeing the same torque with or without the plate.  It does eliminate the possibility of unequal bending moments on the drill shaft which might happen without the plate.

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #219 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:11 PM »
I would think that a 4 wheeler starter and ring gear could be used as a great gear reduction device. Mounted between two plates would work.
But I have already built 3 knock clam plates.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #220 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:12 PM »
I read on the package that the ball bearing "absorbs load from the auger so the drill is only used to spin the auger - not to support the auger torque- which greatly extends the life of the drill"

I think this is somewhat misleading.  The bearing removes the axial load from the drill but does nothing at all with the torque, except make it easier for the user to control.  The drill is seeing the same torque with or without the plate.  It does eliminate the possibility of unequal bending moments on the drill shaft which might happen without the plate.
After running the clam plate and Milwaukee fuel most of last season, I like to think of the clam plate like drilling with a drill press vs drilling with a hand held drill without the plate. It is soooo much easier to control the auger with the plate, which makes for smooth consistent holes and less auger binding and catching...... There is no doubt in my mind that the plate can't do anything but help provide longer drill life.  :tipup:

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #221 on: Dec 15, 2014, 12:35 PM »
And for those guys thinking the bearing is crooked.  Its a self aligning bearing.  Just stick the drill and adapter in it and then line it up however you want.  Its made to have play.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #222 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:25 PM »
This really has me thinking hard about trying this out next year.  The question I have for you guys is that 6 inch hole.  I mainly fish for perch, crappies, and some occasional bluegill and walleye, but the majority being perch.  Do you guys think that the 6 inch hole would be that big of a factor?  I rarely go for big walleyes, and if I do would just use my fishing pals 8 inch.  Also, I'm in the neck of the woods where ice gets up to 2 feet of ice, but still, the fact that this unit weighs 13 lbs....we drill a lot of holes and weight is definitely a factor after the 40th hole.  Just wondering what everyone's opinion is....

1) Is 6 inch hole big enough for perch, crappie, and occasional 14-18 inch walleye?

2) Would unit be worth it with 3 batteries going through 24" of ice?

Thanks!
Let's fish it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #223 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Bigger is better, but almost any perch will come thru a 6" hole!!

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #224 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:33 PM »
This really has me thinking hard about trying this out next year.  The question I have for you guys is that 6 inch hole.  I mainly fish for perch, crappies, and some occasional bluegill and walleye, but the majority being perch.  Do you guys think that the 6 inch hole would be that big of a factor?  I rarely go for big walleyes, and if I do would just use my fishing pals 8 inch.  Also, I'm in the neck of the woods where ice gets up to 2 feet of ice, but still, the fact that this unit weighs 13 lbs....we drill a lot of holes and weight is definitely a factor after the 40th hole.  Just wondering what everyone's opinion is....

1) Is 6 inch hole big enough for perch, crappie, and occasional 14-18 inch walleye?

Thanks!
6" is big enough IMO, but I perfer at least a 7" auger. I have friends that use 4" & 5" augers, to small for my liking. This year I"ll be using a 7" SM Lazer with the 18V Milwaukee cordless hammer drill with 4.0 Ah batteries.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #225 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I fished most of last year with a 4.5" hole and caught plenty of big perch, gills, pickerel, bass, and even a handful of lakers up to slightly over 2'.  I'm looking forward to being able to use my large(r) 6" auger this year with the clam plate.  Clam outdoors says one 4 ah battery is supposed to be good for 700" of ice (almost 30 holes) through 2' of ice with a 6" auger but I've heard of guys doing even better. 

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Dec 15, 2014, 04:59 PM »
6" is big enough IMO, but I perfer at least a 7" auger. I have friends that use 4" & 5" augers, to small for my liking. This year I"ll be using a 7" SM Lazer with the 18V Milwaukee cordless hammer drill with 4.0 Ah batteries.

Do you get that many LESS holes with a 7" over a 6"?
Let's fish it.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Dec 15, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Do you get that many LESS holes with a 7" over a 6"?
Haven't used a 7" auger with a drill motor as of yet but do think # of holes will decrease, but won't  make that much difference  for one day on the ice.  Lots of variables to figure into the equation.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #228 on: Dec 15, 2014, 07:41 PM »

Thanks!
Last season on 1 battery I managed 44 holes through 16" of good ice with a 7" Strike master Mora auger powered by the Milwaukee fuel 18v with XC-4.0 4ah batteries mounted on a Clam drill plate. This is 704" total inches of ice on 1 battery. I'm not telling you what might or could be possible this was a factual test on a morning that was zero degrees. This auger drills effortlessly, no down pressure is needed while drilling, and as I stated in my earlier post It's like running a drill press with the clam plate.  I think a 6" hole would serve you well for all the species you have mentioned. If you were to go with a professional grade drill like the Milwaukee Fuel my feeling is that you could easily drill the number of holes you want easily on two of Milwaukee's new XC-5.0 5ah batteries.

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #229 on: Dec 15, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Fleet Farm is running a special on select Milwaukee drills; M18 Fuel hammer drill kit 2604-22 $299 in this week ad's with a free battery coupon ($129 value).  Great deal to get a 3rd battery for free.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Dec 15, 2014, 11:17 PM »
Is a hammer drill or just a regular brushless drill better?
Let's fish it.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Dec 16, 2014, 12:18 AM »
hammer drill, but what settings??

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #232 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:06 AM »
Low speed, drill mode.  Guys are buying the hammer drill for the perceived more rugged gearcase and the ability to have a hammer drill for summer time tasks (assuming you can get the clam off after ice season).  You will probably wreck your blades if you use the hammer mode for drilling holes.  Note - bare hammer drill is only $130 or so.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Dec 16, 2014, 04:25 AM »
The Milwaukee18V Hammer drill is a brushless drill.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:00 AM »

Has anyone tried using a 8" Nils with a cordless drill, if so what were your results.

Offline GatorNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #236 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:34 AM »
Personally, I had trouble getting a hole started. I'm not saying it won't work, and I love my 8" Nils, but I had a custom adapter made and rigged it to my Dewalt 18V cordless, all excited to rock and roll, and when I tried to drill a hole the blade wouldn't bite, even when I got the hole started by hand.

I thought that it would be perfect, because there's almost no down-pressure required on a Nils. Maybe others have had success? I've gone the route this year of picking up one of the 6" Nils adaptable drills that comes with it's own adapter as well as an interchangable handle. I'm hoping that the smaller blade and power point will help.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Dec 16, 2014, 06:50 AM »
Personally, I had trouble getting a hole started. I'm not saying it won't work, and I love my 8" Nils, but I had a custom adapter made and rigged it to my Dewalt 18V cordless, all excited to rock and roll, and when I tried to drill a hole the blade wouldn't bite, even when I got the hole started by hand.

I thought that it would be perfect, because there's almost no down-pressure required on a Nils. Maybe others have had success? I've gone the route this year of picking up one of the 6" Nils adaptable drills that comes with it's own adapter as well as an interchangable handle. I'm hoping that the smaller blade and power point will help.
what's the specs. on your 18V Dewalt. The drill plays a big part in the overall setup.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #238 on: Dec 16, 2014, 08:04 AM »
                              The 2604-22 is a hammer drill, and its brushless!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #239 on: Dec 16, 2014, 09:43 AM »

Has anyone tried using a 8" Nils with a cordless drill, if so what were your results.
I am using the orange one with great results. ice is like hot butter with the Milwaukee drill. Just got the makita drill from Amazon yesterday and will be trying it out this weekend. My pro 4 is becoming a paper weight because the cordless setup is so good. I will only use it for tip ups and thick late season ice from now on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.