The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161488 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #180 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:29 PM »
so i picked up a  k drill ( for a very good price from a member)  today got to order an adapter for the clam plate to make it work i can't wait for ice it's a 6" but on their website if you need bigger it has a pilot point i'll drill one beside it if i'm jiggin for walleye i'm so stoked yeeeoowww ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought about a k drill........looked nice but kinda expensive. Just like a nils........

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #181 on: Nov 30, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Huh......wonder why clam has the lazer style blades on the augers that come with the plate. I have a 7in shaver worked well gonna try a 7in lazer.
            Thought the same thing , got the clam auger and they look like lazer blades!!

luv2fish2

« Reply #182 on: Dec 01, 2014, 04:22 AM »
Yeah  new price was a little high  for me plus already a mora 7/8" and lazer 6"  but i got it for 80 bucks  from damn yankee so i'll have a dedicated auger for the clamplate i can't wait to try it

Offline buttontate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Dec 02, 2014, 02:36 PM »
First time poster here.

Although I have not used my setup yet (18v Porter Cable on Lazer 6") I thought I would create a cover to keep the battery warm. I plan on throwing a hand warmer in the bottom of the insulated cover. Just need to do a little testing to see if there is any performance improvements.

http://imgur.com/aWbpNrf
http://imgur.com/t4cYFxt

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Dec 02, 2014, 07:02 PM »
First time poster here.

Although I have not used my setup yet (18v Porter Cable on Lazer 6") I thought I would create a cover to keep the battery warm. I plan on throwing a hand warmer in the bottom of the insulated cover. Just need to do a little testing to see if there is any performance improvements.

http://imgur.com/aWbpNrf
http://imgur.com/t4cYFxt
Welcome to the Shanty buttontate. Will you be using lithium ion batteries???

Offline buttontate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:55 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty buttontate. Will you be using lithium ion batteries???

Thank you, glad to be here. I will be using NiCD batteries.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Dec 03, 2014, 12:24 PM »
You will absolutely want to keep those nicads warm. At some point you will probably want to upgrade to lithium ion batteries and a drill capable of 400+ inlbs of torque. I highly recommend the clam auger plate when you upgrade the drill. The clam plate will protect your drill and should extend the life of your drill as well. I went electric last year with the Milwaukee fuel and clam plate on a mora with 7" blades..... absolutely love it. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. ... Again welcome aboard!!!

Offline buttontate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Dec 03, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I highly recommend the clam auger plate when you upgrade the drill.

I'm sorry I did not mention before but I do have the Clam Drill Plate and I do have a Milwaukee m18 Fuel drill however I do use the drill often and do not want the hassle of swapping the chuck every time I want to use it. I purchased the Milwaukee because the price of the Porter Cable batteries were almost as much as a new drill. So basically I just want to prolong the life of the Porter Cable batteries and keep my Milwaukee free to use.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #188 on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I would use the Milwaukee fuel on the auger and keep the porter cable for the drill projects this winter... you can always throw the chuck back on in the spring to use the Milwaukee fuel for the remaining 9 months. You will be much happier on the ice... My 2c worth...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #189 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:26 PM »
I would use the Milwaukee fuel on the auger and keep the porter cable for the drill projects this winter... you can always throw the chuck back on in the spring to use the Milwaukee fuel for the remaining 9 months. You will be much happier on the ice... My 2c worth...
x2

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Dec 03, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I'm sorry I did not mention before but I do have the Clam Drill Plate and I do have a Milwaukee m18 Fuel drill however I do use the drill often and do not want the hassle of swapping the chuck every time I want to use it. I purchased the Milwaukee because the price of the Porter Cable batteries were almost as much as a new drill. So basically I just want to prolong the life of the Porter Cable batteries and keep my Milwaukee free to use.

if you already have a Milwaukee fuel and the batteries and charger for it why not just buy another Milwaukee Fuel as just the bare tool without the batteries and charger. I run Dewalts and that is what I did when I upgraded to the brushless drill this year. one thing to remember thou is if you do ever plan to put the chuck back on you will want to put anti seize on the adapter before you put it on the drill. actually you should do this even if you don't plan to switch back and forth as it will help with removing the adapter should something happen to the drill and you would end up having to replace it.

now for a updated review I have now had mine out two times and have driled only like ten holes during those two times out but I have noticed the brushless full size drill is better then the cheap brushed compact drill I had on the plate last year. from now one if I set up anymore of these I will only be using the Dewalt 995 Brushless drill or the Milwaukee F18 fuels.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #191 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:17 AM »
I read somewhere that the brushless fuel drills don't like moisture.  Has anyone had an issue on damp days?  Do you cover the drill if its wet?

luv2fish2

« Reply #192 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:27 AM »
I read somewhere that the brushless fuel drills don't like moisture.  Has anyone had an issue on damp days?  Do you cover the drill if its wet?
yeah i was kinda wondering if i should come up with a cinch sack to put  overbthe drill when i'm traveling in and out

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #193 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I wanted to give my end of season final review on my Clam ice auger with the Milwaukee Fuel 18v hammer drill and a 8" Mora auger.
I have been using my setup with the Milwaukee drill for well over a month now. I am using a 8" Mora auger and have been drilling about a dozen holes each trip through 24-28" of ice on Saginaw bay. I have been out probably about 12-14 times with it. The drill does shut down when it heats up, but not nearly as much as the Rigid drill. I can get 1-2 holes before it does this, however I am using an 8" auger. When I tested the 6" auger, I drilled 54.5 holes in a row with no shut downs. When it does shut down, I just wait a few secs then continue to drill. I can say this, I am more than satisfied with this setup and will not go back to gas unless this fails me over time. I also rarely ever have to use the second battery, since I can get 12-14 8" holes on one battery. It has been a crazy winter, with insane ice thickness, so I feel under normal ice conditions, this setup will be even better than currently.

Good luck to anyone building/using a cordless drill ice auger.
HI Pointerguy,  I'm getting ready for the coming ice season and trying decide which way to go. Looks like you settled in with the clam drill plate, you stated clam drill auger but I'm thinking you meant drill plate ?  Milwaukee hammer which I now have and your using a strikemaster Mora 8" correct?    I have an old Mora 7" but don't think it will work,  handle and auger thread together, maybe you have a suggestion for that problem.  Last year I used the rigid hammer with the 6" K drill 30" of ice, worked well but I don't like fishing in less then a 7" hole.

1- do you think the 7" or 8"  lazer would be to aggressive.

2 - I thought one of your posting I read said your were going with a 7" Mora

3- Did you get an extention for your setup ? if so which one.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

CHI

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #194 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:52 PM »
1- do you think the 7" or 8"  lazer would be to aggressive.

7in lazer....no. 8in lazer....not sure prya be ok.

2 - I thought one of your posting I read said your were going with a 7" Mora

I have been using a 7inch shaver, then converted it to a 7in lazer. works well No problems.

3- Did you get an extention for your setup ? if so which one.

Yes. clam adjustable extention. It's $15 why get anything els?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

no problem. sorry i wasnt pointer guy.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Dec 10, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Used a 7" laser with a 20volt dewalt all last season and never had an issue. Tried an 8" and smoked a drill on the second hole in 20"of ice. Tried a 6" and it worked great but the holes were just to small for my liking.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Dec 11, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Anyone tried the new Makita hammer drill with 1090 inlbs?

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #197 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:57 PM »
one thing to remember thou is if you do ever plan to put the chuck back on you will want to put anti seize on the adapter before you put it on the drill. actually you should do this even if you don't plan to switch back and forth as it will help with removing the adapter should something happen to the drill and you would end up having to replace it.

Exactly, I hand this happen this spring when i tried to remove the adapter

What  I found was the adapter end  locks tight against the drill  over time while drilling holes and causing it to be tough to remove so i ended up putting a thin plastic washer between the adapter and drill .

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #198 on: Dec 11, 2014, 06:58 PM »
                Afraid to ask the price on the Makita!!

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Exactly, I hand this happen this spring when i tried to remove the adapter

What  I found was the adapter end  locks tight against the drill  over time while drilling holes and causing it to be tough to remove so i ended up putting a thin plastic washer between the adapter and drill .

Seems like this would hinder the ability of the drill to turn the adapter.

Offline ready2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #200 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:36 PM »
Not sure why you think this would

All this is a washer placed over the threaded drill shaft and then the adapter is threaded down tight, then you install the small  torx headed screw 

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #201 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Looks sweet! I might just pull the trigger on one and find out.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:33 AM »
Boing! New sheriff in town...

http://youtu.be/Ek0LiNVWjS8
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline Willpkfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:35 AM »
I looked at getting a clam plate. I already have a good milwaukee drill.
But I went with this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/231409101050?_mwBanner=1
I though it was cheaper in the long run. No buying batterys and wearing out my drill.
And it turns a 8inch auger like nobody's business
I made a adaptor out of pipe and a machined insert that connects to a hand auger.
For the price I think it's the best deal out there.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #204 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:23 AM »
Not sure why you think this would

All this is a washer placed over the threaded drill shaft and then the adapter is threaded down tight, then you install the small  torx headed screw

I would think if you were having this problem the only way to fix it would be to grind off some of the end of the adapter so it didn't engage so far.  Sounds like a manufacturing defect.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Dec 12, 2014, 07:22 AM »
Just bought the Makita on Amazon! $257 shipped.

Offline XN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:35 AM »
Just bought the Makita on Amazon! $257 shipped.
What's the part number you got? I don't see any of the ones that have 1090 inlbs at that price range. Sure you didn't get the 750 inlbs hammer drill or 450 inlbs drill?

You want either XPH07Z (hammer drill) or XFD07 (regular drill) FYI if it has a M after the part number that means the kit has 4Ah batteries.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Dec 12, 2014, 09:26 AM »
What's the part number you got? I don't see any of the ones that have 1090 inlbs at that price range. Sure you didn't get the 750 inlbs hammer drill or 450 inlbs drill?

You want either XPH07Z (hammer drill) or XFD07 (regular drill) FYI if it has a M after the part number that means the kit has 4Ah batteries.

XPH07M   This would be the model # for the Kit- Make sure your get the 4.0AH Batteries.          http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.com/makita-xph07m-18v-lxt-4-0-ah-cordless-lithium-ion-brushless-1-2-in--hammer-driver-drill-kit/mktnxph07m,default,pd.html

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Dec 12, 2014, 01:09 PM »
XFD07MLXT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.