The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Go-to plastic baits  (Read 874 times)

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
Go-to plastic baits
« on: Jan 06, 2024, 02:50 PM »
What's everybody's go-to when it comes to plastic/rubber lures?  I've done well with Gulp Minnows in the summer but have never gotten them to produce on the hard-water.  I have decent success with the classic twister-tail grub for trout when I'm not using maribou jigs.  Perch, walleye and pike remain a mystery to me altogether because I live in Anaconda, but I have caught perch on tiny tube jigs from time to time.

Thoughts?

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Go-to plastic baits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2024, 02:36 PM »
I use crappie fluke and have great success on perch and walleye open water and through the ice, wax wiggler tail on a small jig work well also.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2024, 02:45 PM »
Awesome.  I've never seen the wax wigglers but they look like they'd get some kokanee on Georgetown.  I'll be acquiring some shortly! 

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2024, 03:57 PM »
Yes, both work on salmon too.

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2024, 04:10 PM »
Check out beaver tail bait. They are pretty durable like a plastic and super active in the water but you get the meat part from them. If you keep them in fridge they last a long time. I am still using some from 3 years ago. Down to my last pack so I just ordered few more packs the other day.

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2024, 12:52 PM »
If they glow, they are a go!
Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2024, 04:22 PM »
Maggots and wax worms  ;D 

All joking aside, I tend to use live bait throughout most of the season. Perhaps it's a confidence thing, but they seem to produce better for me. I typically switch to maggot-like soft plastics during late ice when it seems like they'll bite anything and I'm looking for durability and not having to rebait constantly.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2024, 12:52 PM »
Maggots and wax worms  ;D 

All joking aside, I tend to use live bait throughout most of the season. Perhaps it's a confidence thing, but they seem to produce better for me. I typically switch to maggot-like soft plastics during late ice when it seems like they'll bite anything and I'm looking for durability and not having to rebait constantly.

For most of my life my entire bait portfolio consisted of maggots and white shoepeg corn.  They still always come with me and the have a permanent spot in the refrigerator door.  Just broadening my horizons.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2024, 01:14 PM »
The little .75" Powerbait Fry work really well for me at times, not so great others. I cut about half the head off to stick them on a 2mm jig. They work fine as-is on 3mm.

The little Atom Micros catch fish too, but they aren't durable enough to be worth the cost to me. Seems like they just get ripped off the hook a lot more than the Powerbait.

Gulp waxies have been my go-to for panfish a few seasons now. I don't even bother buying live wax worms anymore.

Offline mt-mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2024, 02:41 PM »
one inch gulp minnows on a rattle spoon one on each point of the hook. works great for everything.

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2024, 05:48 PM »
Good advice all around!  Per one of the suggestions I bought a few packs of Beavertail Bait and I'm pretty stoked about them. Haven't been used yet but there are plans in the works!  The action of the longer leech strips is crazy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.