Author Topic: Vex units  (Read 2273 times)

bigcat46

Vex units
« on: Dec 31, 2004, 02:02 PM »
I'm finally going to break down and buy a vex unit, what do you guys recommend, for the best price.

I seen a vex fl8-se blue box ice combo for under 300.00 at cabela's

is this a good unit?

Can i use this in open water also?

Where is the best place to buy one?

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Vex units
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2005, 09:45 AM »
Got my Fl-8 last year at Gander mountain under $300 is about the price. Mine works great. Yes the FL-18 maybe be a little bit better ?  Bottom lock feature ? You can adapt to open water use. They sell a mounting kit which includes a thru hull transducer. Going to Mount mine this year for open water use. These units sure make a difference when fishing for the eyes on the ice. All we need now is some ice on Erie.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2005, 02:34 PM »
try reed sporting goods family owned and prices are competive also!!!
Pull my Finger not my Leg

bigcat46

« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Thanks wojo

stinky fingers

« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2005, 06:43 PM »
    hay,  you might want to check out vexilar.com. they sell from there site , and you can compair between the 8 and the 18. what might better suit your needs. i use the fl-8 nice unit. good luck and tight lines                                    Big mean

perchpicker

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2005, 07:27 PM »
I've owned both and would definitely recommend the FL-18.  The seperation is easier to detect and your setting options are greater.  If you do get the FL-8 make sure you get the S-cable.  This helps you get better detail and less interference. 

Cheapshanty

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2005, 05:14 PM »
What is an s cable,and does it come standard or is it an extra? :tipup:

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:08 PM »
No  S-cable is a extra. Just bought one awhile back. About $23.00 ? It suppress the power. And makes it work better in shallow water. Hope to try it this weekend.

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2005, 04:02 PM »
I got one last year and tried it in shallow water. I couldn't see the difference with it. I was in 5ft water too. If you get it and notice anything diffrent about your vex, please post and let me know what it is. I feel like i wasted my $23.

Offline wojo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:55 AM »
used it last weekend. Seem to work nice in 5' of water. Even showed fish. Will try it this weekend out on Erie fishing for Eye's. I'll let you know if it makes a difference in deep water.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:17 PM »
could notstand it anymore like a pike watching a struggling minnow he can watch for a while but eventally he's going to hit it!!! Got deal on FL-18 with dual trans  9/19 degree Will go good with aqua vu scout. Should be here by Friday I hope. waiting to see if we going to get some ice at islands and clean water?

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:07 AM »
You won't be dissapointed gator , thats a good unit . Hope you get to use it this year .
                                                                             John

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2005, 06:32 AM »
I'll get to use it  I bought a truck with a atlas in it and compass  that points north!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.