Author Topic: Ice Fishing Courtesy  (Read 1788 times)

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Courtesy
« on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Soon hopefully many folks including families will be out enjoying ice fishing what a great time is all’s I’ll say. Some are seasoned ice fishing anglers while others are brand new to the whole ice fishing experience.

Here’s some basic ice fishing courtesy recommendations:

-If you take a pet, keep the pet on a leash or make sure they stay with you. Make sure you pick up after them. Nothin' worse than dog rockets all over the lake. In that light if they pee on any of my stuff don't expect me to be very friendly. Its not my responsibility to keep Buddy from getting into any exposed hooks I may have lying about. If Buddy is overly aggressive and tries to nip expect that I’ll defend myself. A gentle "shoosh" with a boot to start and more to come if they persist. I don't usually blame the pet. Unruly pets are usually a reflection of irresponsible owners.

-If you take children please watch them for safety reasons and please don't allow them to run all over the place yelling and screaming. You may think it’s okay but again others are out enjoying and don’t appreciate children running around and carrying on like they are on the elementary school playground. Unruly kids are usually a reflection of irresponsible parents.

-If you packed it onto the ice, pack it off the ice. If you see trash do your part and pick it up not only on the ice but trails leading to the ice and parking lots. Your drilled ice hole isn’t a garbage disposal either…so don’t shove beverage cans, propane bottles, bait containers etc, etc in the hole.

-If Mama Nature calls be prepared have toilet paper, plastic bag, container (plastic coffee cans with lids work great the same goes for 2 liter soda bottles)...several times in the past we’ve come upon ripped up clothing left on the ice covering the human waste...totally disgusting.

-If you have a tendency to pound a few brewskis and/or drop a few choice words, please be mindful of others around you especially families with children. Just because you’re in a tent doesn’t mean you can’t be heard.

-If you use an ATV or Snowmobile please keep your distance from folks setup and fishing. Also again be mindful if you're allowing children to use these vehicles and for them to be respectful of others fishing and maintain their distance.

-If you night fish and use an ATV or Snowmobile don't overdrive your headlights and drive slow. Always be mindful of others out night fishing and some may be in ice tents that have reflective tape you may not see if full throttle at 50 MPH plus including in snowy/foggy conditions.

-Don’t drill other fishermen for information. It's enough to simply ask someone how the fish are biting. If they then wish to share info like lure/bait/depth, thank them for the info.

-Don't crowd other fishermen just because you may see them catching fish. Give them and yourself some distance. If you then interact with them and they are okay to the idea of you moving closer than by all means do so.

-When approaching an ice tent or shelter...give out a friendly 'hello' to notify the occupant of your presence.

-Don't use someone else’s freshly drilled holes without their permission.

-Don't ask to use another angler’s auger. If your auger isn't working politely ask another angler if they'd mind popping a couple holes for you.

-If you see someone having difficulty lend a helping hand especially if they are having equipment issues. Just never know when the time will come that you may need a little help.

-No matter the conditions always, always, always use those ice stakes to secure your ice tent as a breeze or wind can happen at any time. Have seen many times anglers chasing after their tents on the ice.

-Always tell other ice fishermen about any ice safety issues you've encountered.

-Finally always let someone know where you going and when to expect you home and if at all possible don't go alone.

These are just a few reminders when out on the ice with others. Please share your recommendations. Have a great hard deck season!!!

Offline viajoe25

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Fishing Courtesy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I'm not quite an FNG to ice fishing but not a seasoned guy either, so its nice to see some proper etiquette suggestions from other ice fisherman. Thanks for this!

Offline carsonc1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2015, 07:35 PM »
ettiquette is important. I personally like my space. I wont crowd you, please dont crowd me. This weekend i was at my favorite tiger spot where i fished a  part of the morning with good results.  then came not 1 or 2 groups, but 3. I was having great success until they came and began spudding holes in the ice, running around, and screaming and cussing up a storm. Normally these things are all fine, unless you decide to park it 35 ft from someone already fishing. the bite died off and i decided to leave. Who knows if i can contribute the bite falling off  to these guys, but it sure has seemed like itand had it happen on more then one occasion.  FISH DONT LIKE NOISE ON THE ICE EITHER!

Offline crappeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 09:23 PM »
Please put this on the general chit chat page so every one can see it!!!!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:16 PM »
Geart post lets see how the season goes thanks for the post

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 10:30 PM »
Hey I like this a lot good post

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Hit the nail on the head ! A great reminder..
Thanks

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2015, 01:43 PM »
Great post!  Though I think it might be better worded that if you take your kids out fishing make sure to keep your distance from others trying to enjoy.  Keeping a 3, 5, and 10 year old in front of their pole for hours simply isn't going to happen.  Teach them to respect others and steer clear of other people in the area fishing, absolutely.  Saying your a bad parent for letting your kids have a little fun on the ice, can't say I could agree with that, but I can definitely tell you I would put my kids in their place if they were being disrespectful to others. 

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:05 PM »
Great post!  Though I think it might be better worded that if you take your kids out fishing make sure to keep your distance from others trying to enjoy.  Keeping a 3, 5, and 10 year old in front of their pole for hours simply isn't going to happen.  Teach them to respect others and steer clear of other people in the area fishing, absolutely.  Saying your a bad parent for letting your kids have a little fun on the ice, can't say I could agree with that, but I can definitely tell you I would put my kids in their place if they were being disrespectful to others.

x2 on that one

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Great post,my buddies dog nipped me a few years back  >:(.

Offline 49desotoman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2015, 01:42 AM »
Awesome post I don't know if I have all the luck but it seems like sometimes when I'm fishing the Crowds move in  it's crazy how people let their kids come over and play with all the stuff on the outside of my tent so I try to do a lot of my fishing during the week and stay away from the weekends thanks for this post I wish they can pass this out when people buy a fishing license during the season
Stay warm and stay dry

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:04 PM »
Amen.....
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Captain Ahab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2015, 06:45 PM »
Great post, this should be posted at some of the local spots!

Offline Icehuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2015, 10:31 AM »
I love this post. I second everything said. Nothing is more annoying than when your are enjoying fishing, than someone who doesn't have any etiquette.

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Great posts! Thank you for sharing!

Offline foulguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:36 AM »
well said and great advice thanks for sharing!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Thats great !    This should be posted at every lake and in every fishing regulation handbook.   
But I will also add that I do enjoy seeing kids running around and having fun...  Just not too close to me   ;)

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:50 AM »
Hit the nail on the head ! A great reminder..
Thanks
Hit the nail on the head indeed !!!  Could'nt agree more with each and EVERY point ! Tugs and tight lines !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.