The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Big slammer perch are Back at lake bomoseen  (Read 13745 times)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
The Big slammer perch are Back at lake bomoseen
« on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:48 AM »
For the last three years i have gotten some real nice perch from bomo and yesterday was one of those days. I got to the point where i was throwing back 8-9 inch perch and keeping the slammers of 10-14 inches. If want to get into some real nice perch then Bomo is the place to go. There are some secerts to catching these monsters , just shoot me a message and i will be more than happy to help you out .
I caught 30-40 perch from 10-14 inches yesterday in about 2.5-3 hours of fishing and i threw back 10-15 perch that were 7-9 inches.
Capt:
Joe
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
Re: The Big slammer perch are Back at lake bomoseen
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:20 AM »
For the last three years i have gotten some real nice perch from bomo and yesterday was one of those days. I got to the point where i was throwing back 8-9 inch perch and keeping the slammers of 10-14 inches. If want to get into some real nice perch then Bomo is the place to go. There are some secerts to catching these monsters , just shoot me a message and i will be more than happy to help you out .
I caught 30-40 perch from 10-14 inches yesterday in about 2.5-3 hours of fishing and i threw back 10-15 perch that were 7-9 inches.
Capt:
Joe
;D

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:41 AM »
help me out Wiggles.We can't seem to get more then 5 or 6.We are in the wrong place,wrong jigs,or wrong bait.I cant get around the lake good because of a accident last year but i try.I need my ATV to get me around so please include ice thickness.Thanks

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:01 AM »
How many PM's did you get??? haha
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2012, 10:32 AM »
a few so far, ;D ;D, just trying to help my local fisherman catch more fish and have doing it.  ;D

You're a better man than me!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:26 PM »
thanks
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:58 PM »
Seems like i am getting allot PM's on this subject which is fine because i love to help my local fisherman. so i will post a detailed description on here how i catching these big slammers on bomo. My profile picture to the right are some the ones we caught last year out there and i will post new pictures soon of what i caught yesterday. Fish On
Thanks
Captain : Joe

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Guess we know where all the perch jerkers are going to be this weekend.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:35 PM »
   I thank you very much for the tips Wiggles.I was wondering how much ice there is out there.Is it safe for a wheeler?

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:03 PM »
there is 8 inches of good ice everywhere and there were a few people driving 4 wheeler on Sunday out there

Offline Timbertrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:09 PM »
We caught a few big perch today at Bomo too! ;D

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Last year I caught some of my biggest perch out of bomo 14inch to 16 inch. But not a whole bunch of them where you out deep or in shallow.  Last year I caught them in 30 -40 ft or more. then later in the year when they move shallow much harder to get them to bit on jigs.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 08:08 PM »
CrappieVermonter
Well its good to hear that you caught some of these slammer perch from bomo last year and i caught a bunch last year  every time i hit this one spot on bomo, not to brag but i was consitently pulling up 12-14 inch perch every time..  Bomo has some giant perch in there and i know this for fact becuase of two reason i scuba dive and snorkle that lake in the summer and i have seen schools of real big perch swim right by me in the summer and the second reason i know there giant perch in there becuase i have caught them time and time agian. if you ever google deep water perch you will see why some the biggest perch of the ice fishing season are caught in deep waters so when i am fishing these perch i wont fish shallower than 25 feet but i usally stay in the range of 35 to 40 feet deep and thats where i found the monster love to roam the deep water flats of bomo. my secert bait is using tungsten jigs tipped with Nuggies. Good luck catching more monster out of Bomo.
Capt:
Joe

Offline booner1108

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where are they Gord?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:42 AM »
I was off of crystal beach all weekend. 4 inches of ice maybe...... Capt Dave, you seem like a nice guy, but Ive fished Bomo for thirty years
and a simple I had a good day at Bomo would have been sufficient. I hope you don,t give away your favorite deer hunting spots too.

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:18 AM »
Thanks for the info I never tryed the nuggies fore perch thought you had to use minnows.last time I used a jigging rap with spikes on the treble hook and only used friskas and nuggies for catching gills and crappie. Hope to see you out there slaming them some time.

Offline booner1108

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where are they Gord?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:06 AM »
Capt. Joe ,sorry.

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:34 AM »
hi i dont fish bomo mutch  only 3 to 4 days a week but i know for a fact that there is not 8 inches of ice on the whole lake so dont tell people that there is. there is 4 inches  on the main lake and 6 to 8 inches on the north end and sandbar  .if you can catch fish like that every time out  you should show me how to fish cause i must be doing something wrong .         andrew

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Andrew
you are probably right about the ice thickness . out in the middle of the lake there could be less than 6 inches of ice. i know where i was fishing when i slamming the big perch south of eckly point there was a good 7 inches of ice and when i looked south i saw two different people driving 4 wheelers around . I would love to show you how i catch those big slammer perch every year . It helps when you have the right equipment like electronics and you do you home work . like i said in a earlier post i also scuba dive and snorkle in that lake in the summer , so i have watch the fish behave in different ways and study their patterns . I am sure you could catch  perch in other parts of that lake but i have had my best days fishing for the deep water perch that belly hunged on the bottom of the lake . Good Luck
Captain :
Joe

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:25 PM »
capt. joe i was being sarcastic about not not catching mutch i have a vex20 fiskas and nuggies and maki plastics thats what i use and i get my shere of perch .    ;)                   andrew

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:51 PM »
OK, I'll bite. Not knowing much about perch fishing (and I probably will never get down to Bomo to do any ice fishing so hope you don't mind my asking "what are nuggies?? Is this an artifical bait?? Does it come in different colors?? and do you fish with this using anything other than just a hook and sinker?? Thanks for any info. ??? ??? ???

Offline perchslayer1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:10 PM »
nuggies are a plastic bait that we use with fiska jigs and no sinker because the fish are not right on the bottom you can get them at toms bait in bomoseen vt they come in many colors and sizes

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Thanks for the info...I'll have to check a couple of the northern fish shops to see if they carry these products. Tight Lines to you!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2012, 09:14 PM »
I never knew they left :blink:  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:13 AM »
Andrew
you are probably right about the ice thickness . out in the middle of the lake there could be less than 6 inches of ice. i know where i was fishing when i slamming the big perch south of eckly point there was a good 7 inches of ice and when i looked south i saw two different people driving 4 wheelers around . I would love to show you how i catch those big slammer perch every year . It helps when you have the right equipment like electronics and you do you home work . like i said in a earlier post i also scuba dive and snorkle in that lake in the summer , so i have watch the fish behave in different ways and study their patterns . I am sure you could catch  perch in other parts of that lake but i have had my best days fishing for the deep water perch that belly hunged on the bottom of the lake . Good Luck
Captain :
Joe
Old school bucket auger jig pole years of home work. :roflmao: :icefish:

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:17 AM »
if you GOOGLE nuggies you will see that are made by atomic (i think) and they are very small plastic bait with very small thin tail but have big round head . i put these on small but very heavy tunsten jigs. these nuggies have incredible action on the tail and you barely have to move the jig in the water to get that action. For the last two years now , i fish plastic baits rather than live bait becuase plastics are much easier to work with and i can fish them faster and i dont have to keep rebaiting my hook. i believe more and more people are fishing plastics these days becuase of those facts. Give them a try and i bet you will see the difference. Good luck!!
Captain Joe

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:21 AM »
Andrew
have used those maki plastics yet i bought some from Scott the owner of the company on Saturday at the yankee sports classic and i used a few on Bomo sunday to catch those big slammers but it seem like i was still better hits on the nuggies.. so have you used the maki plastic with any success .. whats you favorite one? like i said i bought 22 different packs at the show.. Lets go fishing sometime.. Good luck
Captain Joe

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:23 AM »
you can also buy those nuggies on line i think bobbersdown web site has them along with others.. check them out..

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:02 PM »
sounds like fun capn joe.  me thinks my 23 yo son has a different definition of nuggies than you do. 

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:11 PM »
lol .. i know what you mean.. that's what i was thinking when i first heard of Nuggies

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Ok for the all of you that are wonder what Nuggies are here are few web site where you can buy these and get a idea of what these plastics look like . Also Toms bait shop has these for sale in castleton

http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/mainplastics.html

https://www.sportsmensdirect.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=193

http://www.fishingurus.com/Nuggies*pID_393-products_details

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Little-Atom-Jumbo-Nuggies-p15642.htm

Copy and paste the links into your browser url section on the top. Good Luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.