Author Topic: Backpack ideas  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Bigjaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Backpack ideas
« on: Nov 17, 2013, 06:43 AM »
I know this is probably the wrong spot to post this and I am sure it will be moved. My buddy and I fish in some locations that it is not a good idea to bring a sled. We both have flashers and our rods and were looking for a backpack that would hold the flasher and have a way to hold protect the rods while we trekked to the ice. Looking for a light setup. What options are out there?

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
Re: Backpack ideas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2013, 07:40 AM »
I have one, not sure who makes it, but it is a green  hard plastic top loading model. It holds my Marcum, rods, tips and odds and ends. The pack even doubles as a place to sit.
It is what it is....

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2013, 08:00 AM »
I have long since thought that about this exact topic.

I think if you were able to rig a five gallon bucket to an aluminum frame pack that you would be able to carry everything you need into remote areas.  Kinda like a pack basket that you can sit on.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:52 AM »
I think if you were able to rig a five gallon bucket to an aluminum frame pack that you would be able to carry everything you need into remote areas.  Kinda like a pack basket that you can sit on.

Now that there is gonna get someone's creative juices flowin!!! Well played Ice Beard, well played.
I's sure that there are some backpacks out there that could accommodate a bucket..and I remember having an old military pack frame, long since gone, that might have be a good platform for a bucket. Man, I like the idea..
It is what it is....

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Ha...thanks man, I appreciate it.  Well let me add a little more then...

Have you ever seen the Sonic Ice Hopper system at Sportsman Direct.  If not, you certainly should check them out.  Well...I was thinking that you could mount that entire system to the pack frame with one of those mechanical latch hoop rings (sorry, I do not know the official name for them) that you sometimes see used to attach the lid on a 55 gallon drum.  I am fairly certain that they would make one that would fit a five gallon pail.

I think that this would work...at least it seems to in my imagination.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2013, 12:08 PM »
I think that this would work...at least it seems to in my imagination.

That is a pretty neat set up, and that's what I love about the Shanty. Tons of ideas coming from all different people from all over.
It is what it is....

Offline Bigjaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Lots of great ideas. I like the bucket on a frame idea that might be the ticket. I also like the Crichton bag because it won't involve any tinkering and that drives My wife nuts.

Time to get looking for materials and see what I come up with.

Offline scmuskies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2013, 09:54 AM »
I had the same idea!  I'm in the process of modding an external from hiking pack I got off Craigslist for this very reason.  Going to get it set up to carry the locator, rods, tackle, bait (still looking for a low-profile, watertight container for minnows), and somehow get the auger mounted vertically on the back.  Waiting on some pieces to arrive and I'll post pics of the before/after when done.

sc

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:36 AM »
I just use my my usual backpacking backpack. An old Kelty 5500 cu.in.   Everything fits except the spud bar.  Gotta have room for clothes, food, etc. I dont worry about sitting.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:04 AM »
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2013, 11:28 AM »
what about the new bag from rapala
http://rapala.ca/products/universal-flashercamera-pack

thie only thing i would tinker with is. place my rods in a PVC tube for protection.
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2013, 02:03 PM »
i took an old medium size alice pack frame and lashed a 5 gallon bucket to it. holds vexilar 2-3 poles and couple tip-ups. has a 3/4 snap on seat/lid. get to my spot just take out what i need and then have a seat. works greats on them long hulls thru the thick woods. i'll try and find a picture of it.
fish on!!!

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2013, 08:08 AM »
An old Alice pack frame with a plywood box  built into it and a compartment to fit the flasher two or three rip up a San a couple rods plus a track flat fit in real easy
go hard or go home

Offline scmuskies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Finally got around to completing the project.

Started with a new, external frame off craigslist for dirt cheap:

It needed some modifications, so I went to work.  I wanted to have a solid "floor" on the bottom & between compartments (was originally fabric between compartments) & an additional internal frame to hold it all.  Made the box pvc frame in 2 pieces out of 1/2" sch 40 & the "floors" with some 1/4" ply I had lying around.  Add to order the 3-way connectors online for the corners (formufit.com has TONS of stuff for a pvc tinker person!) to tie it all together.

Sorry, forgot to get a pic of the frame before it was assembled.  Couldn't get it into the pack in one piece so had to put in the lower, then install upper & glue together.  The pack also had pre-existing ski-pole holders that worked awesome to install some pvc fishing rod holders.

Fully loaded, I was able to get my bait jug, locator, tackle, 3 rods, seat, gloves, cleats, picks, & extras inside the pack & 2 tip downs & seat lashed to to the bottom.  No pic of this, but the hand auger lashed nicely to the back vertical.  I tested it out this weekend & it worked great!  Better than pulling a sled through the woods & up and down hills for the 20 min walk in.  Only tweaks coming are some I-bolts to hook on bungees & maybe a cover of some sort for the reels.

sc

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2013, 11:18 AM »
very nice!
fish on!!!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Nice! I will tey and post the hard side back pack that I have..but I dig the ingenuity!
It is what it is....

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
It is what it is....

Offline dcf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2013, 09:35 AM »
a pack basket would work very well..... like what trappers use. google "basket pack"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.