Author Topic: Newby with questions on LMS 334C iGPS/X67C or something else???  (Read 4336 times)

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
New guy on the block and would like to say what a great site you all have.  I currently have both the units listed above on my boat.  I'm still learning about both of these units, ( they are allot smarter than me).  I'm fairly new to ice fishing and see that Lowrance has an ice machine set up for either unit for $175.00.  One of my question, (would I be happy with the $175.00 upgrade or should I just save my money and purchase a Vexilar or MarCum).  Thanks

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
Welcome to the forums
I got 344 last year and im very happy with it
Why buy extra machine when you can have one for hard and soft water

Check this link for some info
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=53400.0

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
the 334 is a better unit for ice fishing. Better than buying their kit, buy an ice ducer for the 334 off ebay about $70, and a genz blue box and vexilar float for $25 total shipped was 105 will send the link when i get home. Then buy a vexilar battery and charger and a genz soft case off vex's site for $60 plus ship.  The lowrance case is cheap and the vex case is much more durable. I just got done ordering this exact things for my lowrance 520c. Its the same price as the lowranc kit  but a much better setup. The Ice transducer arm is worthless, you are going to want a float. I had 2 gimbal brackets, so I didnt need one of those...

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
You can get everything off ebay from the one site.....call them and they ask for a price on the following:

Blue Vexilar Genz Box $20
Lowrance Ice Ducer for the 334c $70
Vexilar Float $5
Vexilar battery and Charger $45

He didnt have any Genz Box soft cases in stock, but can get one if you need/want one from Vex for $25 plus shipping. I plan on waiting til the end of the season this year, and checking out stores on clearance.

here is his ebay site..
http://myworld.ebay.com/fishelectronics

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
the 334 is a better unit for ice fishing. Better than buying their kit, buy an ice ducer for the 334 off ebay about $70, and a genz blue box and vexilar float for $25 total shipped was 105 will send the link when i get home. Then buy a vexilar battery and charger and a genz soft case off vex's site for $60 plus ship.  The lowrance case is cheap and the vex case is much more durable. I just got done ordering this exact things for my lowrance 520c. Its the same price as the lowranc kit  but a much better setup. The Ice transducer arm is worthless, you are going to want a float. I had 2 gimbal brackets, so I didnt need one of those...
Exactly what I did. Alot cheaper than the 175. And its a tougher setup.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the replies.  Hollywood703, from your comments it sounds as if the 334 would be the better of the two unit for ice fishing.  I like the idea of piecing together a unit that would be better and suit my needs.  My next concern would be the 334 has a nice colorful 5" screen and was wondering how would that effect battery life.       

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes, It is the better of the 2 due to the wider screen and GPS. The GPS is nice because if you find a hot spot you can mark it, and come back another day. If it were me, thats which one i would use. Battery life would be better in the x67, But I really think you will like the 334 better, especially for split screen with the flasher.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks to all for the replies.  Looking at the posts I received, I ended up piecing a unit together for the 334.  If for some reason the battery draw on the 334 for is to much, I always have the 67 I can fall back on.  The 67 will be a good backup if needed.  When I get the unit assembled, I will report back after a little time on the ice. Hopefully all will be good.  I went to the Lowrance site and down loaded there emulator for the 67 and the 334.  The 67 emulator worked great but the 334 emulator did not work very good on my computer.  The 334 emulator keeps coming up as a 480 unit, has anybody had a similar problem with the emulator?  I've down loaded the emulator three times and it keeps doing the same thing.

Offline bluegillsforever

• IceShanty Rookie
I have the LMS-522C iGPS and would like to convert over to the vexilar float. where can I pick one up or where can I find the material to make my own? Do they even make the 334 anymore?

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have seen people use a Pool Noodle, cut down...or do a search on ebay for vexilar float....the place I got mine was 4.99 + under $3 shipping....

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newby with questions on LMS 334C iGPS/X67C or something else???
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:31 PM »
The 522 took over the 332 series and such. Only difference I heard is it is better suited for saltwater usage. Some people just wrap a sponge around the cord and zip tie it...Works.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:19 AM »
the big advantage of the float is the adjustable stopper.....If you have LOTS of ice then this is more of an issue compared to the 18" max we generally get here. If you have an old Pool noodle, Just snip off 4-6" and Zip tie it.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I just got my equipment today, and just had to get it assembled. Here is what I got, I had a Lowrance lms-520c with an extra gimble bracket and power cord. So I found on ebay a Genz blue Box for a Vexilar ($20), a Vexilar Float ($5) and an Ice Ducer ($70). shipping was $10 for Priority mail. I had the Battery and Charger  from another project. Took about 30 Minutes to mount the gimbal Bracket and Wire it up(more time since im finicky about wiring). Cant wait to get it on the ice this weekend. I will post some pictures of the setup tommorrow.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:33 PM »
Anxiously awaiting pic's of your set up.  I should be receiving the stuff I ordered on Friday, (at least I hope so).  Would like to try it out this weekend. 

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Here you go...I mounted the gimbal bracket on the back wall as opposed to the bottom. The gap in the bottom without material is right where the screws needed to be. Most of the time, it will be setting on the ice, and the screen will be at a 45 degree facing up, so this worked out very well, and can even tilt it further up if needed. I also Mounted the gimbal bracket, flush with the bottom of the hand opening.

I noticed in a few of the pics the back wasnt screwed tight(hence the gap), it isnt a flaw in the box.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:58 PM »
Nice looking setup, hopefully the little brown truck will show up at my place today.  Looking at the side profile in your last picture, I was wondering if the Genz Box soft cover will fit over the unit.  Seems to stick out further than the vex units.  I don't have a store in town to check it out.  I guess I'll find out once my stuff arrives.  Naturally, the soft cover was the only thing they didn't have in stock. Won't get the soft pack tell the end of next week.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2008, 11:11 PM »
Had it out this weekend, worked great.....thought it was screwed up because in flasher mode, it was showing almost a solid mark all the way to the bottom....come to find out....there just was that many fish....4 hours, and didnt use 1/4 of the battery with GPS turned off.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2008, 11:43 AM »
have you had a chance to get it assembled and used cook?

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2008, 01:19 PM »
Got it put together, but have not had a chance to use the unit.  I ended up mounting the unit on the bottom of the blue box, (approximately 1" away from the back wall).  Had to drill new holes in the outer edge of the gimbal bracket to mount.  The finished product fits in the genz soft case, (very little room to spare) but I'm happy with the fit.  I took the transducer cup holder out of the back of the genz box and it gave me enough room to store the charger, transducer, and float, (fit's nicely).  Went to take some pic's of the finished product and the camera decided not to work, (sorry no pic's).  Decided to give it a dry run while sitting at the kitchen table, turned on the unit and could not find the flasher mode under the sonar tab. After a couple of hours dinking around with the unit and no success, I decided it was time to head out to the boat and get the instruction manual, (mind you it was a -34 with the wind chill).  After a couple of beverages to warm me up from my cold adventure outside, the manual said nothing about the flasher mode.  Ended up going to the Lowrance web site and there was a software update for the LMS 334, (downloaded the new software and like magic there was my flasher).  Very happy with the finished product, (now I need to get out on the ice and learn to use the darn thing).  Thanks to all for the advise.     

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2008, 02:45 PM »
You have a new battery correct? what does the voltage read with a full battery? my used batteries i think are bad, only showing 12.5 volts when full, and down to 11.8 or so at 3/4 battery power. If you dont mind looking at the voltage with a full battery and advise what the voltage is reading..thanks

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Yes, I do have a new battery.  I'll plug it in and let you know when it is fully charged.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Hollywood,

The light on the charger just turned green.  Under the sonar tab and digital data, voltage shows 12.9.  I'll look at it in a couple of hours and see if that number changes.  Hopefully somebody that knows something about battery's will pipe in and assist you.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2008, 07:08 PM »
Hollywood,

Couple hours later and voltage is 12.6. I'll check it in the morning and let you know how much of a change.

Offline cookr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2008, 09:53 AM »
Checked this morning and voltage is 12.5.

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:45 AM »
ok great, i'll spring for a new battery....cant hurt...i will jsut use my other 2 as backups and for lighting etc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.