Author Topic: Vexilar Tri-Beam question  (Read 4604 times)

Offline yellowllab

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Tri-Beam question
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 03:40 PM »
I was thinking about getting a new tri-beam transducer for my Vex FL-18. Vexilar claims that the tri beams are compatible with all Vexilar units...good so far.
The tri beam comes with  FL-22.  On the box it states that it only is good down to 60 feet.  My question is:  Is it the transducer that is limited to 60 feet or the FL-22???  Will my FL-18 still work at the deeper depths with the new tri-beam transducer?
I fish for whitefish in 100 plus feet with my FL-18 and don't not want to be limited.

Thanks!!

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
Re: Vexilar Tri-Beam question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Just looked at the vexlar site and the fl22 is •Six depth ranges down to 60 feet
Ihave a fl8 and the duel beam works at all depths
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:11 PM »
I am not trying to be funny...but why no call or email Vexilar? They will tall you right off what you can or can not do...yes  ???

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Tri Beam is good for all depths on all other units. The FL-22 head is limited to 60 ft. Google search is your friend.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:31 PM »
I am not trying to be funny...but why no call or email Vexilar? They will tall you right off what you can or can not do...yes  ???

I agree ... shoot them an email or call and ask them.

http://vexilar.com/contact_main.php

As far as I can tell, the head unit's capability won't change, just the cone angles. The FL-22 HD will still be 60 ft. max no matter the transducer, and the FL-18 will still be 200 ft no matter what transducer. With that said, I believe the tri-beam transducer was designed for shallow water ... I don't think you'd want a wide angle in deep water.
Check it out:
http://vexilar.com/pages/support/support_tips/article_006.php

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:37 PM »
The transducer could be used in 60,000 feet if you want. Its the unit's display that limits the depth.

As for using the tri-beam, I thought I read on here somewhere that the new packs the 22 comes on contains the switch for the tribeam. So you would need that case to be able to switch cone angles. I dont think it is like the dual where the switch is on the cord.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:55 PM »
The transducer could be used in 60,000 feet if you want. Its the unit's display that limits the depth.

As for using the tri-beam, I thought I read on here somewhere that the new packs the 22 comes on contains the switch for the tribeam. So you would need that case to be able to switch cone angles. I dont think it is like the dual where the switch is on the cord.

WRONG!

The switch box is NOT separate ... just like the dual beam, but a larger "box" and 3-way switch that IS in line and wired in already ... comes with it.  You are right about the head unit defining the depth capability and not the transducer, I do believe.

Offline yellowllab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:57 PM »
When I posted this I was just trying to cheat and get a quick answer. A genuine thank you for all that responded!  Prior to posting , I did a google search...no luck with the specifics.  I went to the Vex site..vague at best.  I will call them and let you know what the "official" verdict is.

Thanks again!

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2011, 06:04 PM »
I was thinking about getting a new tri-beam transducer for my Vex FL-18. Vexilar claims that the tri beams are compatible with all Vexilar units...good so far.
The tri beam comes with  FL-22.  On the box it states that it only is good down to 60 feet.  My question is:  Is it the transducer that is limited to 60 feet or the FL-22???  Will my FL-18 still work at the deeper depths with the new tri-beam transducer?
I fish for whitefish in 100 plus feet with my FL-18 and don't not want to be limited.

Thanks!!

Your FL-18 will work with the tri beam but if you want to exceed the 200 feet you will have to send your 18 into Vexilar for a mod to allow you to get to 300 feet.

I had this done to my FL-18 and they had a tri bean they sold me at the same time. I think it is a chip and a face plate to show the mod has been done.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Your FL-18 will work with the tri beam but if you want to exceed the 200 feet you will have to send your 18 into Vexilar for a mod to allow you to get to 300 feet.

I had this done to my FL-18 and they had a tri bean they sold me at the same time. I think it is a chip and a face plate to show the mod has been done.

True ... ONLY if you want to go over 200 ft. That has nothing to do with the tri-beam transducer though, so to answer his original question, yes, he will still get his original depth capability with his FL-18 of 200 ft. max, unlike the FL-22 HD which is designed for 60 ft max. (six depth levels at 10 ft. each).
The modification you had done to increase the FL-18 from 200 to 300 ft. is for the head unit only, regardless of which transducer you have, single, dual, or tri-beam. I just had to clarify that one.

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:08 PM »
True ... ONLY if you want to go over 200 ft. That has nothing to do with the tri-beam transducer though, so to answer his original question, yes, he will still get his original depth capability with his FL-18 of 200 ft. max, unlike the FL-22 HD which is designed for 60 ft max. (six depth levels at 10 ft. each).
The modification you had done to increase the FL-18 from 200 to 300 ft. is for the head unit only, regardless of which transducer you have, single, dual, or tri-beam. I just had to clarify that one.

Correct!!  :thumbsup:

Offline yellowllab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:17 PM »
 Hey Again:

This is the response that I received from Vexilar....really didn't answer my question.  I KNOW its compatible..but will the Tri-beam transducer work past 60 ft??  I am thinking yes...but hate to spend a hundred clams to find out that I'm wrong.  I think the Vex staff needs to study the manuals a bit more..just sayin'.  :-\
      RE: Vexilar Contact Form Message‏

Sent:   Mon 1/24/11 3:00 PM
To:    [email protected]
Attachments, pictures and links in this message have been blocked for your safety.
Show content | Always show content from [email protected]

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your interest in Vexilar.

All of our transducers are compatible with all of our units.  The
Tri-beams will not be available until the end of February.  If you need
a great transducer for your deep water fishing, you may want to try the
9 degree. 

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Hey Again:
I KNOW its compatible..but will the Tri-beam transducer work past 60 ft??  I am thinking yes...

Yes I'm 100% sure it will, if it doesnt.. send me the bill for the transducer.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I second that.  We have put the tri-beams on the 300' 18's and they see all the way to the bottom!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2011, 05:33 PM »
Hey Again:

I KNOW its compatible..but will the Tri-beam transducer work past 60 ft??  I am thinking yes...but hate to spend a hundred clams to find out that I'm wrong.  

Tell you what ... I have an FL-18 and would gladly take that off your hands no problem.  I'm certain it'll work for me ... give you cash for it right now!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:35 PM »
i think vexilar gave him the best advice...the 9 degree cone would be better for deeper water...the deeper the cone goes the wider it is...its like a flashlight the farther it shines the wider the viewing...at 100ft fish will show up but could be lets say 3to5ft away or more? i dont know the exact logistics just bein figurative

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:20 PM »
i think vexilar gave him the best advice...the 9 degree cone would be better for deeper water...the deeper the cone goes the wider it is...its like a flashlight the farther it shines the wider the viewing...at 100ft fish will show up but could be lets say 3to5ft away or more? i dont know the exact logistics just bein figurative

You are correct ... a tri-beam really serves no purpose in deep water, except when switched the 8 deg ducer with the other settings (12 + 20 deg) for shallow water. A flashlight is a great analogy. I do know for a fact though it will work with the FL-18, Cabela's even sells an FL-18 with a tri-beam (on sale for $407.99) :o

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I second that.  We have put the tri-beams on the 300' 18's and they see all the way to the bottom!

What "PerchAssau" said ^^^^  :bow:
 I also have the 300' mod and the tri~beam on my 18  :thumbsup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:35 AM »
I just spoke to a rep from a local store (Radio World) he claims the FL18 will not run the tribeam. He said it states very clearly that the FL18 was designed with the ability to run the single or dual beam, but will not properly run on a tri-beam.

I had one ordered and he talked me out of it (not to mention it was backordered for 4 weeks)

Offline MT Hank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Fishin Buddy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I just spoke to a rep from a local store (Radio World) he claims the FL18 will not run the tribeam. He said it states very clearly that the FL18 was designed with the ability to run the single or dual beam, but will not properly run on a tri-beam.

I had one ordered and he talked me out of it (not to mention it was backordered for 4 weeks)

Sent my FL-18 to "Vexilar", "they" (Vexilar) did the conversion and sent me the tri~beam transducer with a "Your gonna like this!" I also had a couple of conversations directly with them about my concerns about the conversion and the tri~beam for the 18 and assured me it will and does work with the 18. Straight from the horses mouth (Vexilar)

Offline yellowllab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I am getting a kick out of this.   :)
As I was reading down the posts the consensus seemed to be that it worked as is.  Then icejunky said that the salesman told him it wouldn't and another said you have to send it to Vex for a "conversion."  I am laughing because it really shouldn't be this complicated.  Vexilar should be a little less cloudy on compatibility of the accessories that they sell..don't cha think?
I do fish deep for whitefish at 100 feet but I go through gallons of gas drillin' for crappie in the 10-30 foot range..hence the "need" for a 20 deg. cone as opposed to the 12 deg that is on the FL-18 now. 
I guess I will dial up Vex directly and talk to one of the techie geeky guys....maybe I will call twice and talk to two different ones...see if they say the same thing.   ;)

Offline Skinnybenny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chasin' Only Monsters,Catchin' Only Bait
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Yes,it will Work i was in 70 feet of water yesterday for kicks and giggles all three settings worked fine ( fl 20 tri beam)
Give a man a Fish,Feed him for a day:Teach Him to Fish And He will Be Preoccupied the rest of his Life

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2011, 06:10 PM »

Yeah ... sounds like he gave you some B.S.  Ask him then why Cabela's sells a FL-18 with the tribeam included!

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:41 AM »
I got it straight from vexilar that it will work with fl18.  They just dont have any available yet.  It also seems that the date that they will be available has slipped back into Feb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.