Author Topic: Vexilar Vs. Lowrance  (Read 12951 times)

adam2000

Vexilar Vs. Lowrance
« on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:26 PM »
been ice fishing for a while and never used a flasher, watched all the vids on them, what do you guys recommend for someone new to them getting , i mostly fish for walleye and perch so the bottom 4 to 5ft of water, im gonna ask for one for xmas, not sure if i really need a 18 over the 8 though

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: what kind of vexilar to get
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:29 PM »
If you fish bottom huggers look at the Marcums, much better target seperation letting you see whats there.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:29 PM »
If you mostly fish within 4 or 5 feet of the bottom I would recommend getting the zoom feature on whichever flasher you buy.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

adam2000

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:32 PM »
i thought vexilar was a better flasher than mercum, i have looked at the showdown but havent seen it in action, wondered about target speration since it has no color

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Won't matter. Anything is going to be better then what you've been using  ;)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

adam2000

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Won't matter. Anything is going to be better then what you've been using  ;)

well i dont want to grow out of something and wish i got something else,

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:37 PM »
Flashers aren't like a wife...you are never stuck  ;)
Just saying it doesn't matter. In two to five years you will be looking for something else.
Oh wait, I guess they could be like a wife  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:38 PM »
 I have owned both Vex's and now Marcums LX-5's  IMHO Marcums are way ahead of Vex in todays units, Vex was once king but not anymore.

adam2000

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:01 PM »
so would the vx1 pro be more what i want since it has a bottom lock zoom, plus its 200 cheaper

Offline BMW20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:21 PM »
The people that own a Marcum will tell you to get a Marcum, the people that own a Vex will tell you to get a Vex. Both sides will then tell you why each one is better than the other. In the end, your eyes will bleed.

adam2000

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:41 PM »
i hear ya, looking for best bang for the buck

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:21 PM »
i hear ya, looking for best bang for the buck

that is why i got a marcum vx-1 pro when i started ice fishing. you wont be disappointed. i wasnt.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:22 PM »
VX-1 is the same as a FL-18/20 Vex good unit for the money.

adam2000

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:35 PM »
there not the same, the fl18 and 20 have diffrent degrees, the vx1 pro is only 20 degrees, but for 299 i think its the best bang for the buck

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:49 PM »
 Just saying feature wise the entry level marcums are as good or better than the top end Vex's , I know the FL-20 is not even in the same class as my LX-5 since I fish next to one 100's of hours a season.

adam2000

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:02 AM »
ok thanks for all your guys info

Offline walleye wacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAGS UP!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2010, 03:03 PM »
Dont get one. hum- bird  all the way

"We have to go NOW!!!"  ......."HOLD ON JUST ONE MORE!!!!

Offline KingPerch Jr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:10 PM »
I've got the FL-8SE and it works great!!!
Diehard Boston Red Sox Fan
Diehard Steelhead fisherman
Diehard Soccer Player
Diehard Basketball Player

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:17 PM »
I believe you would be fine with whatever vex you get... I have a basic FL-8 and love it. It's REALLY easy to look at the specs and "wish" you would have gotten a more expensive model. My father has an FL-20 and its nice, but I don't know if I would say it's worth it... I may be biased because I have a budget of almost zero, but I don't think I even have a reason to upgrade.

adam2000

« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:09 PM »
I believe you would be fine with whatever vex you get... I have a basic FL-8 and love it. It's REALLY easy to look at the specs and "wish" you would have gotten a more expensive model. My father has an FL-20 and its nice, but I don't know if I would say it's worth it... I may be biased because I have a budget of almost zero, but I don't think I even have a reason to upgrade.

does the fl 8 have a bottom lock zoom

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:20 PM »
All the info someone could possibly need is here:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0

If you have a specific question on what a certain feature does.... or something like that then post it, anything less general and all you will get is a lot of "buy brand X", "buy brand Y" and stuff like that. Well.... that's what I see about 25 threads a year on here anyhow.

The above link in in the "Electronics" section of this "Equiptment" forum locked right to the top of the board..... always the top post or 2.... and stays right there whether anyone new posts to it or not. Bean took lots of time to put all that info together in one place.........

Good luck.... oh... and my opinion on the original question. Buy one.... any one. Make a list of all the features that you "Need" and a list of all the features that you "Want" and that will help making a choice easier. Then buy as nice of one as your budget allows.... and then go out and use it and double your catch!!!

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Just saying feature wise the entry level marcums are as good or better than the top end Vex's , I know the FL-20 is not even in the same class as my LX-5 since I fish next to one 100's of hours a season.

Not many people will buy the FL-20 when the new Fl-22 HD is here. Id take an FL-22 over a LX-5 anyday. Way more features for the same price but lets pull our heads out of our a$$es, cause owning an LX5 or FL-22 isnt going to get you any more fish then an Fl-8 or Vx-1.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:30 AM »
but lets pull our heads out of our a$$es, cause owning an LX5 or FL-22 isnt going to get you any more fish then an Fl-8 or Vx-1.

Well that's just plain and simple not true. A bottom zoom feature will catch more fish ANY day of the week. Other features make it more comfortable to stay out longer such as the night mode on the FL-20 (much easier on your eyes), Low power mode built right into the FL-20 eliminates the need for a seperate snubber cable to get lost. The larger flat screen is amazing especially if a couple buddies are sharing one unit. I'm just listing off a couple features of the FL-20 over the FL-8.... I have no personal experience with the Marcums, but I'm sure there are similar differences. Don't get me wrong, will you put more fish on the ice the an FL-8 or a VX-1 than not having anything at all? ABSOLUTELY........ but the better model you get.... the more features you get.... and the better machine you get.... buy the best that your budget allows........

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Well that's just plain and simple not true. A bottom zoom feature will catch more fish ANY day of the week. Other features make it more comfortable to stay out longer such as the night mode on the FL-20 (much easier on your eyes), Low power mode built right into the FL-20 eliminates the need for a seperate snubber cable to get lost. The larger flat screen is amazing especially if a couple buddies are sharing one unit. I'm just listing off a couple features of the FL-20 over the FL-8.... I have no personal experience with the Marcums, but I'm sure there are similar differences. Don't get me wrong, will you put more fish on the ice the an FL-8 or a VX-1 than not having anything at all? ABSOLUTELY........ but the better model you get.... the more features you get.... and the better machine you get.... buy the best that your budget allows........

Half the time I don't even use my bottom zoom on my FL-22 and catch just as many fish as I did with it on. Options are nice but arent going to get you more fish. I have used an Fl-8 quite abit, owned the Fl-18 and Marcum LX-3 and now the Fl-22 and havent noticed a big change in how much I catch. I definetly catch way more with a flasher of any sort then with out.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Fisherman catch fish the flashers just a tool to let you know they are there. I do think the  features of some units do help decide whats down there though over other units. I for 1 run my LX on zoom all the time and with the SFL on and can tell the difference between 2-3  fish where my partners FL-20 shows them as 1. This helps me decide size and if worth trying to catch or not or lets me try and pick out the bigger of the 2-3 down there.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar Vs. Lowrance
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Got mine out today and WOW! I love this thing. The low power mode is great had no problems fishing in a brush pile and marking the fish. Used it between 8-16' and caught tons of fish. I really enjoy the 10' modes as when in 8' of water I had the entire screen to see what was going on. It was great to watch the fish run for the bait and grab it. Used the Ice 55 last year and wasn't nearly as impressed as I am with the features of the FL-22. Have to say +1 for Vex on this one.

Please don't turn this into a bashing thread on how Marcum/ Bird/ Vex is better. To each there own any of these units will help you catch fish jsut giving my thoughts on this new unit.

Craig

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: VEXILAR FL-22HD
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:21 PM »
I saw in the Vexilar video on the Fl-22 that you can't use the zoom mode in the 10' setting. Is that true?

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:23 PM »
Nope no zoom in 10' mode but was the 10' mode uses the whole screen I don't see a reason to zoom the bottom 6' of it.

Craig

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Hey Craig, Congrat's on your new FL-22HD! Sounds like you had a great time on the ice with your new toy!!!

From the reports I've read it looks like Vexilar's latest flasher creation is going to be outsatanding! Keep on keepin on Vex (other mfg's too), I want to see an FL-24HD Deep+ unit on the shelves in time for first ice next year ;D

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #29 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:43 PM »
somebody pass me some kool-aid.....   8)
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.