The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Waubay  (Read 16552 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waubay
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:02 AM »
Heading to Waubay till Fri or Sat...  will be fishing the NE portion of the lake mostly near refugge, Cadillac, and Buckshot area.  Possibly do a little bit in the refugee one morning and I might try Enemy for some panny action.  Will be in a Clam 5600 and have a wood tobbagon sled sitting outside of it w/ my gear... with this nice weather I might just be bucket fishing and have the shanty for base too... If anyones fishing Waubay or Enemy and ya two guys out and about - swing on over and say 'hullo'!!!

Post results and hopefully some pics when I get back!

-WF.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Waubay
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:30 AM »
First time out at Waubay was a success.  A high school friend from the Cities was back for xmas break and work was slow, so we went to Waubay to give it a shot Thursday afternoon.  We fished not far from the Grenville access (I say "not far" but it was a good 20 minute walk nonetheless).  Miraculously, we drilled right on top of a nice school of hungry perch.  Nonstop action from 2:30 - 5:00.  These fish are complete pigs - lots of 12"ers.  It is amazing how tightly they can be schooled up.  There were two guys in a shack 50 yards south of us that were getting a few and there was a group of four a hundred yards north of us and I'm not sure they caught a fish.  We must have been right on top of the epicenter of this school, because we couldn't keep our rods in the water.     

Taking into account the numbers of 12" walleyes that we brought up at dark, we probably caught 40-50 fish that day.  Not to mention that we missed at least that many because we couldn't get to the bobbers in time.  We only got one legal eye.  After last winter, it felt great to catch some quality fish.   

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2005, 12:48 PM »
I think I'll be heading for the Webster area after the first for a few days. Probably will bring the house on wheels for a base and move around with the ATV. If I don't trust the ice we'll stay in the shack at Webster city campground. If anyone will be around the area at that time, let me know and maybe we can meet on the ice. There are a couple of rearing ponds that I want to try. Looks like we are in for some rain and about 7 inches of snow over the next few days. Good luck to those of you that will be out there this weekend.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Well I figured I'd better get on IS and post my results for this past week I was at Waubay.  Got back Sat. afternoon but haven't had time to get on the PC since then... Here's how my week went.

Tues got up there and on the lake bought 3:30.  Moved around looking for perch until about 4:30 and didn't find nothing.  Set up for the evening in a spot I haven't fished before for the eyes and didn't get nothing.

Wed. morning went out and picked up five nice perch between 10am-2pm.  Also caught and threw back probably 30-40 eyes by 4pm.  Lots of small ones but lots of fun.  Marked fish all over the vex and camera.  Same with perch but they seemed to be tougher biting.

Thurs. was the same as Wed. but w/o any eyes.  Thurs night started getting some nasty weather and by Fri. morning had probably b/w 5-6" of snow at the lake.

Ended up staying Fri. night and got another 4 perch Fri. afternoon.  Had a nice school move through but could only pick up 4 of them.  Caught and released a few more eyes as well that day/evening. 

Throughout the week we moved around a lot and located a few perch here and there but just couldn't get a lot of them to bite.  It seemed like it would've been better if we would've stayed in one or two spots we were in and let them come to us as they appeared to be moving so much.  Waxies and really small minnows did the best for the perch we got and the ones that we missed.  Talked to a lot of other people on the lake last week that were having the same luck for the perch, however, I also heard from another source that others were getting their limits?

Ice was 10-11" near the Buckshot area closer to shore.  The farther out you went I was drilling in 14-15" with about 2' of slush below that.  Water temp was anywhere from 36 degrees at bottom to 33 at top.  Seems like the water below the ice is freezing slower than last year and thats where a lot of the slush is coming from.  A lot of it I noticed was starting to get harder by Fri. than it was earlier in the week.  I drove all week on the lake w/ no problems and many others were too.   Good ice for sure... be nicer once all that slush underneath freezes up and there should be a good 20+ inches at least...  One thing for sure - bring a good spud bar to flare out the bottoms of your holes or ya might have some trouble losing a few fish from time to time  ::).  Also seemed to interfere w/ my vex a little bit too the more of it I left around the bottom edges of the holes...

I'll be heading back up there again this weekend early Fri. AM.  Hopefully have just as much fun throwing back some eyes and catching a few perch as we did this last time ;).

Offline supserdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Hey Waubay fisher, you were driving a truck on the lake? I was just wondering how the ice is, I'm part of the crew from iowa coming up later in the month. Thanks in advance, maybe we'll cross paths up there.
Later
Dave

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Ice is definitely good on the North end of the lake.

Kind of funny too that you ask as there is another local site I frequent but hardly post and someone was bashing the people for driving b/c of horrible ice.   ???

I will have to say that the ice is definitely good quality to drive on, hands down no questions asked.  As far as the south end of the lake - that might be a diff. story as I exclusively fish the N and NE end.  As I mentioned before - it's 14-15" in the preferable areas on the N end, while it's a little bit shallower the closer to shore.  However, I parked right next to my shanty on 11" one evening and didn't have any probs w/ water coming out of the holes or water sloshing around the holes the closer I drove to them.  I will say the Grenville grade and public access area might be a little bit shallower... as I don't recall seeing much vehicle traffic that way except for ATVs and sleds.

By the time you get up here the only thing your group will need to worry about are heaves and finding fish.  There is one good heave always on the N end that is noticeable, although, not yet anyways.  :)

And yes - hopefully we'll cross paths - always good to chum w/ good natured fishermen!  If I'm lucky maybe I'll be able to steer ya to a few good spots... although I consider myself the farthest thing from a pro there is and I won't guarantee ya you'll get fish, lol ;)

Regards,
WF.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 10:23 PM »
Heading back up bright and early in the AM - round 5'ish. Plan to be on the lake by 8-9am if all goes well... Be in a Black Blazer w/ a Clam 5600.  Be there till Sun afternoon sometiem.  If anyone's on the lake this weekend, feel free to swing by to shoot the breeze!  I'll get on IS when I get back and post the results...

-WF.

Offline supserdave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Good luck WF, may the perch be with you!
 :D

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:51 AM »
Go get em, wish I was out there too. but alas , gotta pay the bills.  :tipup:
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Thanks for the wishes guys...

Here's the results..

Fri. got on the lake bout 10AM or so.. we threw back probably a dozen walleyes or so throughout the morning/afternoon and marked some perch swimming through every bit or so but didn't turn on until about 3ish.  Nailed 7 in a row and a few more small eyes.  Fished the same spot for eyes in the evening, but it seems to not be an evening producer as the last few trips in that spot during night haven't been great...

Sat. got out early @ 8am.  Few small eyes right away, one perch, and marked a few more perch but couldn't get them to comit.  Roughly 9ish a nice northern came in, swimmed around, and layed down right under us.  All the perch went ZIP!  LOL.  Couldn't get the gator to take any of the baits or jigs nor a darter.  Couldn't catch it nor get rid of it!!!  Didn't feel like doing a whole lot of moving as the gf was with and had the shanty setup... Few more eyes throughout the day tossed back and right before dark the perch finally came in and bam bam bam got 5 (or the gf did - i got 1  ???).  Fun trip, gf's first time.  Did better than my first time! 

Anyways.. that's it.  Talked to a GFP officer out checking licenses and he said the massive crowd in the middle of the basin during Sat. were getting some perch... Looked like a case of the wrong spot at the wrong time, then again, I hate crowds too ;).  Talked to a few others who were doing about as well as us in the vacinity we were in...

Ice is bout 15-16" on the NE end.  Closer to shore it gets pretty slushy (1-2" on top of ice) and a little thinner ice.  Lots of snow on the ice too... 6" to 2-3' in some areas.  IF it stays good and cold should be able to continue driving, if not, might be out of luck in a few weeks except walking and atvs.  The ones I could see I counted 20-25 trucks and couple of nice duelies.  Lots of guys hauling out permies too for the weekend.  Had to pull one guy out... nice guy but not sure how he did though.  Was using a permie later the day I noticed.  Gonna start a pic journal here in a day or two and I'll have some pics posted...

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Well hopefully the weather cooperates for our group, we'll be leaving in exactly 1 week and 21.5 hrs. Thanks for the updates WF, keep em coming as ill be checking them frequently untill we leave.  ;D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Well hopefully the weather cooperates for our group, we'll be leaving in exactly 1 week and 21.5 hrs. Thanks for the updates WF, keep em coming as ill be checking them frequently untill we leave.  ;D

You betcha!  I'll bet you guys are just getting stoaked up about getting over here and fishing some of the lakes!  I'll keep my fingers crossed on that weather fer ya!!!  ;D

-WF.

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:53 PM »
Thanks WF! Do you know if its possible for me to rent a 4 wheeler any where up there?

Also, Im stuck on catching pike, most of the other guys are after eyes and perch. I however am strictly after the gators. You have any lake specefic techniques or spots to try? I have all the topo maps of most of the lakes from day and marshall county, theres just so much dang water i wouldnt even know where to begin. Thansk again for all your help and if we run into each other up there, a frosty 12er of your choice of beverage (wether that be soda or brewskies) is on me!  :D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Geez I'm not sure about where to rent an ATV fish.  If it were me, I would give Penny a call @ the Grenville Sportsmart (605) 486-4641 or call Doug at the Sportsman's Cove in Webster (605) 345-2468.  I am sure if you can rent them anywhere in the Waubay/Webster area, they'll be able to tell ya where to go!

As far as the gators are concerned, Bitter is usually a good lake for winter northern action.  I would be working shallow water areas (5-10ft) all day with tipups and bigger minnows or smelt.  If you can find weedy areas you should be better off... I've never fished Bitter... just going off info some friends gave me that fished it quite a bit for northerns last season!  Take that for what it's worth... ;)  Waubay has northern in it, however, not near the quantity or size that it used to several years back.  If it was me, I'd head to Bitter.

Hope this helps ya out a little.  No worries on the 12pk either - I should have plenty of my own ;)  --- but you'll have to have a couple w/ me, LOL  ;D

-WF.

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Thanks again WF!  :) Hopefully we run into each other up there. Tight lines!

Fish

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2006, 09:35 AM »
You betcha!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2006, 11:27 AM »
WF, I spent my three days on Waubay this week and did ok. The Ice Team must have been there because the boat launch at Grenville was full of Minn vehicles and people dressed in Ice Armor. Lots of snowmobiles and a few ATVs too. There must have been a film crew there too as they were filming the parking lot when I was backing my ice house into a parking place. I bet the old Dogpatch Special will get edited out of that tape. The last day there my barometer was bottomed out against the peg. There were pickups all over the ice, but I really don't trust it that far. My pickup weighs about 6,000 lbs and my ice house is over 2,000 lbs. We just left the ice house at the parking lot for bunking and eating and took the ATV on the ice.

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:24 PM »
I know that Tony Dean and Dave Genz were there earlier this week.  Here is the report from his website:

I just returned from Waubay Lake in northeastern SD where Dave Genz and myself caught some quality perch, fish that ran from about 9 to 13 inches.

Others in our party did well on the perch too, along with some walleyes.

We fished near Grenville, and caught our fish in about 21 feet. The bite was tough because of the front that passed through on Sunday evening, but by downsizing our lures, going to #12 Genz Worms tipped with three maggots, we managed to catch good fish.

Typical of fishing for big perch, there were many lengthy periods between a short but frenetic bite. At one point, I caught 6 perch in four minutes.

A few evhicles were driving on to the approximately 12 inches of ice. There is snow in the area, in fact, about 8 inches on the ground.

Some of those I fished with yesterday, planned to fish Pickerel Lake today.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2006, 04:37 PM »
WF, I spent my three days on Waubay this week and did ok. The Ice Team must have been there because the boat launch at Grenville was full of Minn vehicles and people dressed in Ice Armor. Lots of snowmobiles and a few ATVs too. There must have been a film crew there too as they were filming the parking lot when I was backing my ice house into a parking place. I bet the old Dogpatch Special will get edited out of that tape. The last day there my barometer was bottomed out against the peg. There were pickups all over the ice, but I really don't trust it that far. My pickup weighs about 6,000 lbs and my ice house is over 2,000 lbs. We just left the ice house at the parking lot for bunking and eating and took the ATV on the ice.

Nothing wrong w/ just running out on the ATV for the day!  I think there were several rigs out there when I was up that might've came close to the weight you would've been pulling... but to each his own - nothing wrong at all w/ not wanting to risk it!!!!  ;D

I read on TD's site too - per Husker's post that TD & DG were out there... those two bring so much attraction with them it's unbelieveable... I get a kick out of all those guys having their ice armor gear and all the other hoopla.. LOL  ;D 

I'll be heading back up there this weekend after spending this one at home, can't wait to get back on the lake!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:48 PM »
I'm gonna email Tony and see when the Waubay (expedition) is going to be aired. I bet they edit my ice house out of it. They wouldn't want it to get around about how South Dakota poorboys do it. I was on Richmond Lake yesterday afternoon and caught zip. I left kind of early because about 3:30 pm the thundering herd showed up and it became a circus in a hurry. One guy was about 50 feet from me and it took about 4 minutes to get through 9 inches of ice with his power auger. After about the fourth hole that he drilled and his buddies setting up a collapsable plywood shelter that had to  be pieced together, I was glad to head out. ???

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:19 PM »
I would like to head in your direction in a couple of weeks I would like to talk with you please give me a call Brian 319 521-0298
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:47 PM »
I'm gonna email Tony and see when the Waubay (expedition) is going to be aired. I bet they edit my ice house out of it. They wouldn't want it to get around about how South Dakota poorboys do it. I was on Richmond Lake yesterday afternoon and caught zip. I left kind of early because about 3:30 pm the thundering herd showed up and it became a circus in a hurry. One guy was about 50 feet from me and it took about 4 minutes to get through 9 inches of ice with his power auger. After about the fourth hole that he drilled and his buddies setting up a collapsable plywood shelter that had to  be pieced together, I was glad to head out. ???

I'm not sure... but as much sponser gear and all the fancy/schmancy stuff they have - I could imagine they'd edit out the average joe's shanty.  As far as I'm concerned - ANY shanty whether it's an old junker and an eyesore or a carefully crafted one that was made cheaply is better than NO shanty!  LOL   ;D  I hope they air it though! Would be neat to see your own shanty on a show!!!  4 mins to get thru 9 inches of ice?!?!  I like the sound of augers but not for that long and not that close!!! Can you say "need sharp blades, please"!!!  LOL  ;D

If you get a reply back from TD please share the info on when the show will air and what channel!  I'll be eager to watch it if it's gonna be aired!  Hope ya have better luck next time!  I made it out to Scotts this Sat. and didn't get didly, oh well, next time maybe  ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:46 PM »
WF, would you believe next December on Fox Sportsnet. My memory isn't that good! :D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2006, 08:11 PM »
A whole YEAR before they're going to air it??!?!  ??? ??? ???  I understand that sometimes a program won't air until several months after its recording, but holy cow - a YEAR???

If I'm LUCKY I'll remember to read this post next fall and end up tuning in Dec.  Oh well... what'dya do.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I'm sure it will be long gone from my memory by next December too. I like to watch Wisconsin's Waters and Woods on the tube because he has his adventures from the previous week. I like to watch ice fishing during the winter months instead of Bass fishing or something on open water. Good luck this weekend on Waubay.and be sure to wear your knee high boots out there. ;)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Dawg - couple of good fishing shows on the tube last night (b/w 10-12pm).  One was Winkelman and two other guys reeling in some MONSTER gators... I couldn't believe the size of them - good show.  Another was w/ Dean and Dan Nelson @ Sakakawea catching walleye - not too bad show.  Third I caught was on Lake Ontario after eyes w/ various cranks/plugs/d'riggers.  Lots of HUGE eyes.  One looked like it had to be close to 15lbs if not more... Anyways... good shows I managed to catch  ;D  Brought the boots this weekend but they ran again when they saw me coming!!!   ;D :roflmao: :roflmao:

Results from Waubay this weekend...

Fri. nailed 1 nice perch and 1 16" eye fishing evening.  Couldn't catch the perch in the morning, afternoon, or late afternoon prior to evening bite.  Saw them on the flasher all over and the camera but they just wouldn't bite, swim to the bait, look at it, and that's it.  I tried everything I could possibly think of... just didn't work.  Oh well - seen lots of fish.  Read something last night about how excessive snowcover turns off the perch as sunlight cannot penetrate the ice.  Makes sense too, specially if they feed by sight.  And there is definitely still a TON of snow on that lake - WOW!  Threw back prolly 10 eyes that night in the evening fishing over boulders & sand in 16'FOW.

Sat. traveled down to SchoolBus by the crowd (yes - I actually went INTO the crowd!).  Couldn't catch a thing there either.  Saw 2 perch on the cam in about 4hrs of fishing there.  Marked several fish on the vex but wouldn't comit (prolly perch again) and the bro threw back 4 small eyes.  Afternoon moved to my perch spot and marked em all over again - only two takers.  Threw back another dozen eyes or so b/w three of us.  Fished just until dark, not into it like Fri. night.

Talked to a GFP officer checking licenses too.  He said throughout the weekend he had checked alot of the lakes in the glacial area there and EVERYWHERE was slow according to him... said Lynn is starting to pickup for a few eyes/crappies though.  I also talked to several other guys on the ice this weekend and no one seemed to be getting squat (perch)... Eyes aren't bad - just find em and stay on em.  Morning/evening seemed best for them anyways.

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2006, 02:25 PM »
WF, I heard ya on the radios Friday, I beleive Todd talked to you on the phone, you were just out of range i think on the 2 ways. Anyway, we did pretty well Friday with 73+ perch and 3 keeper eyes with a bunch of dinks. I landed a slobbo 13 inch perch that Im having mounted. The next day we hit Waubay again with no good results, perch were very finicky and light biting, you really had to finisse them to strike and there werent half as many around. I got half a limit in about 4 hours, and had doubles on once, but missed about 5 fish due to light bites and poor hook sets. A few other guys got a few as well. We left due to the wind and poor fishing and half of our group fished Roy, while we went to a secret northern lake and hammered pike, took home 4 in less than 2 hours of fishing, and i lost a BIG fish at the hole, prolly 35+". Guys at roy got 1 keeper walleye. Anyway, I love the glacial lakes, Ill be back up there soon, hopefully before ice out.

Thanks for all your tips and reports before hand. If you ever get a chance, try and get a hold of Matt West with Wid West Outfitters. He put us on those fish friday and was just a great guide. Not that you would need a guide, but just wanted to throw his name out there, cause he was VERY helpful.

Anyway, tight lines!
Fish

Offline sdhusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2006, 05:26 PM »
I tried Waubay Sat. morning for a few hours.  At 8:00 a.m. I drilled on top of some fish near the big crowd off school bus, but, for the most part, they didn't seem too interested.  For the first 30 minutes of fishing, I had lots of lookers on the camera, but not a lot of biters.  I managed to pick up 2 nice perch (and miss 2), and then the school disappeared....so, I waited...and waited...and waited...all the while thinking, "They were here when I got here, so they can't be too far away."  I rotated the camera 365 degrees and saw nothing. As of 11:00, they hadn't come back.  I wish I had moved around more, but the wind was blowing and I was fishing solo, so I didn't feel too ambitious about embarking on a scavenger hunt.  Plus, there is something about leaving a spot that you know had fish on it just an hour before (or two hours before, or three hours before).  Packed up and tried one more spot and didn't mark a thing. 

-fish- - not to ask you to divulge any secret holes, but were you fishing north, south, or mid lake?  How deep?  It sounds like you guys really found a nice school.  I have had one day like that this year, where I located and really hammered the perch, but for the most part, it's been the proverbial needle in the haystack for me the last couple years.  And worse, when I do find them (like Sat.), they aren't hungry and they don't stick around. 

Out of curiosity, what does West charge for a day on the lake?  I didn't realize there are guides in NE SD that do ice fishing.  I live in Aberdeen and have fished Waubay for the last few years, so I don't know that I would necessarily need his services (or, then again, based on my recent results perhaps I do) but someone inexperienced with that lake should definitely look into it.  Speaking from experience, upon moving to SD back in the 90's, my dad and I used to hire guides at Oahe all the time.  A lot can be learned in terms of locations, presentations, etc. from fishing with experienced guides.   Of course, a lot of good that does me now - all the spots they showed me on Oahe are high and dry.     

Offline -fish-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:28 AM »
husker, West charged our group 20 bucks a guy, but thats cause we had 17 of us. He put us on fish right away and he was a riot, took me into the bar to get pizzas for eveyone and was just a stand up guy. Anyway I dont know what he charges for smaller groups but he seems fairly reasonable. I have his number, I can give you if you want it.

As far as location we were (I think) 'south' of the grenville access a few miles in a big 25-28 foot mud flat. Ill hit you with GPS points if you shoot me an email or PM, I dont mind, there was a ton of guys out there and perch were to be had. But the guys who caught the most fish were using small gold lures, such as genz bugs and marmish jigs tipped with 3 or 4 spikes, even on the finicky fish, I could entice them up about a foot or 2, then usually get them to bite with that gold/spike combo. Bigger bait means bigger fish though, I caught that 13 incher on a HUGE genz bug

I also had a trick that I will share. I tied on christmas tree strands(the wire stuff you use to decorate railings and such) about 36 inches a strand tied to 40' of cordage with a 3 ounce weight attached to the bottom and dropped them down to the bottom in about 6 holes surrounding my shack, i had fish stick tight to my "ghetto structure" all day. However most of these fish seemed negative during midday but by the end of the day I had the stuff wrapped up in a knot cause so many dang perch would get tangled in it while reeling them in. I did better than most everyone except a couple others and I give credit to my ghetto forrest below the ice.

Also 1 other thing that worked for me to attract fish was to pound a buck-shot rattle spoon on the bottom a few times to stir it up and I would usually have a few fish come check it out after a few minutes.

Hope that helps, tight lines

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2006, 08:38 AM »
Fish - sorry the reply is so delayed.  Been pretty busy the last few days and not much time for the Internet.  Glad you guys made out well during your trip up here!  I'll have to PM ya on that northern lake to see where you were at  ;D.  Sounds like your group brought home roughly 5-6perch/person - that isn't bad at all considering the perch bite has been pretty slow and they're so finicky.  I still think all this snowcover has lots to do with it  ;D.  I might have to try your ghetto structure technique sometime yet this season - see how we'll that pans out for me over my little rocky terrain spot I've managed to locate!!!  ;D  Glad ya managed to get a slob to have mounted too!  I keep telling myself if I get anything over 13" this winter, it's going in the freezer as the bigguns seem to be SO FAT!!!!  ;D  I would have to agree though that pounding the bottom and stirring up some mud then leaving the rod dead for a bit seemed to attract the fish more.  The ones I managed to snag up were a result of doing exactly that!

As far as West is concerned - the hunt of locating the fish is some of the fun for me - so that might take some of my enjoyment away using a guide.  HOWEVER, the way my luck has been running thus far - maybe I should start considering some 'professional help'  ;D.  Let me know if ya plan on getting back up North over here sometime yet this season!

Regards,
-WF.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.