New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Re: Sodus Bay/Wayne  (Read 3279 times)

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sodus Bay/Wayne
« on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:03 PM »
I have heard so much about Leroy Island I was just curious.. What depth do you target the perch in. and I would assume the best place is the west side of the  island?   I really wanna ice fish it this winter. I have done pretty good so far this fall and wanna get into the perch but don't know much about the bay.  thanks for your help. I don't need your honeyhole or gps coordinates just general info would be nice thanks Reuben

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007, 12:25 PM »
I was wondering when the first post in reports and conditions would show up!!!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I was wondering if there were any answers on here!!! ????? ;D :) ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :embarassed: :'( :tipup:

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2007, 06:00 PM »
I was wondering if there were any answers on here!!! ????? ;D :) ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :embarassed: :'( :tipup:

There are no decent-sized perch in sodus anymore, from what they tell me.

Pokerman

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2007, 08:02 PM »
then u have heard wrong as we got 4 perch 14-14.25 on monday..  the biggest weighed 1.49 lbs but if u really beleive that enough to stay away lolol   beleive it heheh

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2007, 02:54 PM »
Haha, when i fish sodus for perch i go to third creek, park there and walk out to the point. That's the best place on the bay for perch, hands-down. I've never fish leroy for perch, but probably the deepest areas around there (near 20 ft?) are the best. The perch won't be anywhere near the guys going for pike most likely. If I were you, I'd go 3rd creek.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline BAZOOKAJOE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Reuben,
Between Eagle and Leroy islands is where the monsters are caught (more towards Eagle).
Gotta be careful, the ice gets really sketchy out there.  Or find some deep drop-offs near Leroy.  I usuallystick to the shallower water near Cutters.

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:37 AM »
thanks guys. I have another question.  Where is third creek/.. east side l west side, and what road or point is it near to give me an idea?  thanks all I appreciate it!  Reuben

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2007, 11:25 AM »
If you follow the east side of Thorton point to the south you run into Third Creek at the south end of that mini bay between thorton point and i believe its called nickel point. To get there you would take rt. 14 north, and take a right onto shaker tract road. There's parking right on the water, but not too much, so you gotta get there pretty early!

If you're still confused just google earth it.

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2007, 11:09 AM »
then u have heard wrong as we got 4 perch 14-14.25 on monday..  the biggest weighed 1.49 lbs but if u really beleive that enough to stay away lolol   beleive it heheh

Rueben, where did you find those? My last time out on Sodus, 2 weeks ago,we fished off the north end of Newark. It was the only place we found any decent  fish....  we had a few over 10" in 20 fow, but not much bigger than that.

In the winter I usually fish in front of third creek,  if you can get to deeper water and use larger baits/lures you can stay away from the dinks.
guy

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2007, 09:23 PM »
I have another ?    Is there any other launches besides the free one on the west side and the bait shop at south end?

Thsoe fish came somewhere near the north end.. ITs a small place that I found and is not always reliable.   Saturday MY father in law and I got our limits of perch. That hole didnt' produce wo we tried anotehr and got into them. Probably caught 150 perch from 7am-12:25pm. Kept our limits. THe best 2 were 13.5 most were about 9-11 with a few about 8 inches. I hope to go back up soon.  I got a lot of meat off those babies... I am lovin it

Offline fatbellyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We're killin'em in here!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2007, 12:06 AM »
What are the tatics for these fish? Lures, jigs, perch rigs, bait, drifting, anchored, do you use an underwater camera to locate fish, do you fish in or outside weed beds, water depth

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:45 AM »
I launch the boat motor to the fish anchor and use a rod reel and line and a hook and weight to get it there.  I fish in anywhere from 9-17 feet of water.  I havne't used a camera yet but might try this week just to see what happens!!! 

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I have another ?    Is there any other launches besides the free one on the west side and the bait shop at south end?

Thsoe fish came somewhere near the north end.. ITs a small place that I found and is not always reliable.   Saturday MY father in law and I got our limits of perch. That hole didnt' produce wo we tried anotehr and got into them. Probably caught 150 perch from 7am-12:25pm. Kept our limits. THe best 2 were 13.5 most were about 9-11 with a few about 8 inches. I hope to go back up soon.  I got a lot of meat off those babies... I am lovin it

a) keepin so many perch is not very good conservation

b) advertisin' it is worse

c)  I wouldnt keep a 9" perch if my life depended on it

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:31 PM »
a) keepin so many perch is not very good conservation

b) advertisin' it is worse

c)  I wouldnt keep a 9" perch if my life depended on it

I agree, 9 inches is pretty small to keep.

Offline iceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • nothin like hard h2o
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:54 PM »
    Is there any other launches besides the free one on the west side and the bait shop at south end?

That's about it, there is another at the Coast Guard station at the channel. I haven't checked but that could worse than the other 2
guy

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2007, 06:05 PM »
It sounds like most are not catching many fish right now and as I am not saying where I am getting them then.... its not complete advertising. 

Telling people that I am getting perch is stupid cause there are always people  POKERing at anyone that keeps fish.  The Dec seems to be the LAW here and they say 50 perch per person, per day.  As long as I am legal, i am not gonna change for grumpy people. It seems to me that wiht the HUNDREDS of people fishing that bay all the time with many keeping DOZENS to hundreds of perch there that I cna't hurt keeping a few hundred there. Especially since I have only fished it like 6-8 times ever. 

People complain that 9 inch fish are too small and others complaining that people keep the hogs that are the good breeders.. IT would help if people would jsut let us alone, I have at least average intelligence and therefore make MY OWN decisions about keeping fish.   

there since u ranted now I had to!!! :)

I hope to go fishing soon and hopefully I will get another limit!!!and maybe I will take all 10  of my kids and "help" them get limits to....  JK  I only have 2 and they don't go in this temperatures.. until ice!! hehehehe

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2007, 04:48 AM »
the majority of the ice fishers in here paid their $19 for a license to fish ny waters. its your choice on what size perch to keep and not everyones keeper is anothers throwback. and yes theres still guys keeping over  the legal limit but as long as their familys are eating the fish and being conservative in their catch, i dont have a problem with keeping a few extra fish. just remember the future of our sport is every fishers responability.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2007, 07:58 AM »
There are a lot of bitter guys around western ny. the irondequiot bay thread was brutal last year. I usually do not keep 9 inchers but alot of guys LIKE to eat fish have limited time on the ice and are within their legal limits.Usually the lazy guys who fish the same holes every week and stop catching fish think those waters are getting cleaned out .  go out ,ork hard and find non harssed fish and stop crying about what others are legally doing!!!!!!
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2007, 12:49 PM »
There are a lot of bitter guys around western ny. the irondequiot bay thread was brutal last year. I usually do not keep 9 inchers but alot of guys LIKE to eat fish have limited time on the ice and are within their legal limits.Usually the lazy guys who fish the same holes every week and stop catching fish think those waters are getting cleaned out .  go out ,ork hard and find non harssed fish and stop crying about what others are legally doing!!!!!!
Yeah i fished irondequoit last year and stopped posting cause it got so freekin hostile. I dont really blame him for keeping  inchers, but that's just small for me. Whatever floates you boat though, i didnt mean to offend you.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:34 AM »
No problem. I guess i need to relax also. Good luck on the hard water whenever it comes!!! 8)
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline pokerman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2007, 11:05 AM »
No problem. I guess i need to relax also. Good luck on the hard water whenever it comes!!! 8)

OK, so I have to relax and act like a gentleman this year?  Alright.  Good luck on the ice, everyone.

Pokerman

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Haha sounds good. Now all we need is some cold weather!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:18 PM »
its coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fatbellyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • We're killin'em in here!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2007, 02:21 AM »
can anyone tell me if Ice has started on the bay yet?

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2007, 07:06 AM »
can anyone tell me if Ice has started on the bay yet?
I was wondering the same thing any news on sodus ice?
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2007, 01:25 PM »
Just a note to anyone who does not know about the Sodus Bay/Wayne thread in the Reports and Conditions Section. Please just take a few minutes to review the Reports and Conditions Board Guidelines and Information if your not familiar with them.

Thanks

Offline lewis743

• IceShanty Rookie
  • insearch of the perfect ice...... anyone??????
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2007, 05:57 PM »
The entire southeast part of the bay is frozen. From the islands to the bridge at the south end. There is very little snow on the ice and I can't believe someone won't be out there this weekend. Third creek area is wide open.

its started to freeze???, it can't be hard enough to go on yet!!!  how long before you think it fishable???  can't wait!!!!!!!!  getting the fever again.....
Wish I could get laid off during the "Winter",....  Working sucks

Offline MT-pail

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Bandito- Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:52 PM »
And Guys please dont forget that this early ice is just like late ice. You are on it one second and under it the next. Lets not forget about Ernie Paternoster who fell through last year late ice off of Leroy island. Sodus Bay claimed him last year, lets not let it claim another person this year.
TEAM BANDITO STRIKES AGAIN!!

ICE IS NICE!!

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2007, 02:54 PM »
bshird   if you didn't see it Pokerman said he was gonna cool off a few posts back and we all have forgiven him and he is entitled to his opinion just as muich as I am entitled to keeping legal fish so please do not add to the mess adn keep a dead topic going.

How much is frozen now guys..  last post int eh reports and conditions says up o the island has it grown much more?  and is that island Eagle island?  will be checking theeports and conditions I hope to hit it after new years.   

I don't know why so many people stress that the ice is not safe. anyone with any intelligence should be able to know that ice does not go from open water to safe ice in a few days when the temps are near freezing.  If they are going to go in they wiol do it no matter how much we yell so its natures way of weeding out the gene pool.  No I don't want to see anyone go either but it gets old..  Taht should be in the GOMS  thread lol......   LAte ice and early ice is different becasue late ice can be afe then not safe early ice.. JUST WAIT IT WILL COME...

man I want ice its making a grumpy old man and I am yougn!!! lol  and I cant type.. GL all and tight lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.