New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Musky In Round Lake?  (Read 3365 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Musky In Round Lake?
« on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Has anyone had any luck fishing for Tiger Musky in Round lake? The stocking reports claim 1100 tigers being stocked every year but I have yet to here of anyone icing one?? What type of setup? Bait? DOW? maybe I've been fishing them the wrong way ??? ::) ::)

camo_fish

Re: Musky In Round Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:16 PM »
yes there are a few tigers in Round lake but they are hardly caught and haven't heard of any being caught recently. I did noticed that in the spring after they stock the lake with the fingerling tigers, alot of them dead. If you time it right you can see all the little fingerling tigers littering the banks.  :-\
Good luck, fish them just like pike.  :)

Offline fishfoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:46 PM »
  Where is Round Lake ? I know of a few ( Round Lakes )in the central N.Y area . Information whould be appreciated .

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:49 PM »
  Where is Round Lake ?
It is located in central Saratoga County off exit 11 of the northway I-87.  8)

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:48 AM »
try the south ends weed line with a jiging rapala[perch]
 or a tube/jig [orange,chart,black]
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline fishfoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Thanks For The Info . Let's Hope We Have Enough Ice To Make A Journey From Oneida N.Y. Worthwhile .

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:17 PM »
yes there are a few tigers in Round lake but they are hardly caught and haven't heard of any being caught recently. I did noticed that in the spring after they stock the lake with the fingerling tigers, alot of them dead. If you time it right you can see all the little fingerling tigers littering the banks.  :-\
Good luck, fish them just like pike.  :)

camo,are you saying that a good number of those tigers die ??? Why do you think this is ??? Does the  DEC know this ??? If for some reason they cant survive why would they keep stocking the lake :-\

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2006, 08:47 PM »
From Oneida? Hope your visiting somebody here and just want to stop by. There are way better lakes than round lake to fish. Round lake can be very hit miss for ice fishing. Just my input but if you are just coming to round just to fish and not visiting anybody in the area check the many other lakes in the area that are better. IE Saratoga, Lake George and many many others

camo_fish

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:57 AM »

camo,are you saying that a good number of those tigers die ??? Why do you think this is ??? Does the  DEC know this ??? If for some reason they cant survive why would they keep stocking the lake :-\
I don't know if there is a kill every year, but I remember last or the year before in the spring I saw a dozen or so on the bank. If I see some on the banks again this spring, I'll take a picture of them. Don't know what the survival rate is of the fingerlings that DEC stocks but it is probably a small number that make it thru the first few years. If they don't die and get washed a shore, they become fish food for the bigger fish in the lake. I'm sure that the big perch and crappie can eat them, also the bass and pike/tigers that are adults.
Your best bet would probably be in the early spring before the lake is chocked with weeds to get the tigers and pike.

Offline livebuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Just checked out the dec website, 1100 9'' tigers released there, i'm thinking they don't get eaten by the perch or crappies but like camo said the bass and pike will do a number on them.

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:38 PM »
Just checked out the dec website, 1100 9'' tigers released there, i'm thinking they don't get eaten by the perch or crappies but like camo said the bass and pike will do a number on them.
Ya they say 9" on the site but there were plenty of 4"-6" tigers on the shore and they would be easy prey from any fish.  ;D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:02 PM »
camo,
since your local ....have you ever heard of anyone actually catching a decent tiger out of this lake?

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:49 PM »
camo,
since your local ....have you ever heard of anyone actually catching a decent tiger out of this lake?
nope, only have heard and seen some 30"+ pike in the spring and thru the ice. That is under 6 pike or so a year I here.
I have had my line snapped while using little spinnerbaits/beetle spins for the crappie and perch in the spring.
And it was just as the weeds were filling in.  ;) Best time to fish the lake is early spring, I think.  ;D

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:57 AM »
camo,
If your interested maybe we can hit Round in the spring and give those tigers a try. I have decent size canoe if you up for it. I live right off of usher Road  :)

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Tigers are in there,I have a friend who lives on the little lake and he has caught some real nice ones out of there...not to mention that I myself have caught big Pike and enormous lge mouths...unfortunately though none of the above were caught through the ice  >:( .All were caught in the soft water season and you can get up to a 16' boat via the primitive boat launch off rte 9...watch out for the broken glass and garbage though,its gonna get closed up if people keep doing stuff like that and its a shame cuz its a nice little fishing hole!!
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

camo_fish

« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:59 PM »
you can get up to a 16' boat via the primitive boat launch off rte 9...watch out for the broken glass and garbage though,its gonna get closed up if people keep doing stuff like that and its a shame cuz its a nice little fishing hole!!
yes, every time I pull in there, I pick up a 6/12 pack of cans every time. And I really don't want to launch my boat there for the glass, but put my canoe in from time to time.  ;)

What have you been getting your tigers and pike on and what time of year is it normally? If you don't mind me asking, or just PM me.  ;) Thanks

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Camo,
I fished Round for a few hours on Sat till about 6pm. The garbage is all over the place. I think I'll post a sign the next time I go by. "Pick your sh#$"
On to fishing matters, one perch :( but i was  happy to get out on the ice. Intersting when I drill the ice shavings would just blow away in a matter of seconds. 8)
Iceenuto,,
I to would like to know what has worked in the past for the musky. Could you show a brother some luv ;D  You can PM me if that better. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.