New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tomhannock  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Ak4734

• IceShanty Rookie
Tomhannock
« on: Jan 17, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Anyone fishing here tomorrow? I've lived nearby my whole life but haven't fished a lot. Maybe once or twice on the ice. I've got my permit and would like to give it a shot. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline GerenT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On !!!!!
Re: Tomhannock
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2014, 11:13 AM »
The hannock can be a tricky fickle foe !!!!!! I have fished it my entire life both frozen and open water . The north end is the deepest and holds most of the bigger fish on any given day but the south end by the causeway can have the best action and more fun .. either way go as light as possible in your presentation not necessarily small just not a lot of extra hardware on your line the fish have been taught many times ......

Offline Ak4734

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2014, 04:22 PM »
Thanks for the info. I have a couple spots in mind after going over the topo map. I guess I'll have to just give it a shot. It would be great to pull a walleye or two through the ice.   Certainly not looking to take anyone's honey hole but any further info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again.

Offline frozenby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I just got my permit and hope to take my son to the Tomhannock as well. Not sure where would be best for panfish. I have a vexilar.

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2014, 06:20 PM »
North end is good for finding some perch, white and yellow with an occasional walleye especially at 1st light or at dusk :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:  Be safe out there!

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2014, 09:54 PM »
I've fished here my whole life. The rare and desired walleye can be found in 4 fow up to 50 fow and anywhere in that column. It's a game of drilling and moving until you locate fish and once you do that , the challenge of getting them to bite is just as hard. If only we could fish it from a boat during the open water season it would give us a better idea where to locate schools in the winter.

Offline TheWasp74

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I agree the Tommy is a mystery on any given day

Offline Ak4734

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Got out Saturday at dawn. Fished until about noon and had by far my worst morning of fishing of the season. I am shocked that a lake that does not allow boats in open water or power augers does not have more fish. I struggled just to jig up a couple dink white perch and didn't have a bite on tip ups. Fished anywhere from 10-35 fow. Drilled a lotttt of holes for a hand auger.  Anyway, I won't judge a fishery based on one outing and plan to give it another shot at some point. Any continued pointers are greatly appreciated.

Offline Creek Chub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I live within 20 minutes of the tomhannock, but have never given it a try.  I've heard from a lot of people that the fishing is SLOW and/or hit and miss.  Despite what i've heard i'd still like to give it a try.  I still need to buy the permit, but i plan on going after this cold snap. I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline Ghostchef44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bottom Budget Hookers
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Just consider goin to another lake ..   its a disappointing lake

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Just consider goin to another lake ..   its a disappointing lake
I disagree, if you have put the time in, use the fish finder, you can usually have a decent outing. I have been fishing for a few years and glad to do so. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Mike
Dream Catcher

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I've fished the tomhannock my whole life and love the lake. It does have its tough days,  as do all. I usually do well fishing the points, running tip-ups around them or 5 straight out off the point. I like to put 20-30 yards
between them and usually do well.  I've been out there and counted 35 flags, not all caught, but left with20 nice perch. I saw this guy out there a few years ago running to a flag every 20 minutes or so, so I went to see what he was catching., all walleye. Ever since then I've been using the same hooks and bait,  #12  trebles(I believe) and fat heads. He also ran his tip-ups in a straight line,  but ran them north and south.           Good fishing! Maybe I'll see ya out there.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2014, 01:52 PM »
Oh, one more thing. Use 4-5 ft fluorocarbon leaders and vary your depth 1 - 5  ft , is my preference, until you figure out where they want it. That guy I was telling you about was running his 5 feet off the bottom.

Offline fofv11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2014, 03:12 PM »
I have not ice fished it yet, but I am hoping to soon.  I just started fishing it during open water last year.  I find that there are definitely days that you get skunked, but the days that you don't are well worth it.  There are some nice fish in there.

Offline Ridg3runn3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I'm hoping to get out there soon, but have to get my permit first. I know a guy who recently did well on walleye and perch. Will be talking to him for some pointers since I've never fished it before, just have driven around it a number of times watching eagles and ducks.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2014, 07:30 PM »
I fsh the lake year round and see the eagles almost every time Im there. It's great to see them around again and not just there. They're really making a come back. I've fished that lake since I was a little kid and you never saw them around. GL on your outing.

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:27 AM »
I've fished the tomhannock my whole life and love the lake. It does have its tough days,  as do all. I usually do well fishing the points, running tip-ups around them or 5 straight out off the point. I like to put 20-30 yards
between them and usually do well.  I've been out there and counted 35 flags, not all caught, but left with20 nice perch. I saw this guy out there a few years ago running to a flag every 20 minutes or so, so I went to see what he was catching., all walleye. Ever since then I've been using the same hooks and bait,  #12  trebles(I believe) and fat heads. He also ran his tip-ups in a straight line,  but ran them north and south.           Good fishing! Maybe I'll see ya out there.

Interesting..you're saying the guy was using fatheads for walleyes? The only fatheads I've ever gotten were tiny little ones. So are they targeting smaller minnows for some reason, or are you getting large fatheads somewhere?

Very interesting and useful information about this widely misunderstood body of water. Much appreciated.
Get the flag!

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:56 AM »
The tournament should be interesting this weekend. 14 inches of
Ice and 14 inches of snow should make it a nice and fun quest for those elusive eyes

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I fsh the lake year round and see the eagles almost every time Im there. It's great to see them around again and not just there. They're really making a come back.

the Eagles ARE back.  They've had an established nest across from downtown troy for over a decade now.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:42 AM »
I fished it from October right until iceup a couple times a week and saw more eagles than ever this fall. Was able to see several juveniles and adults there in a group one day in late November.  That was quite a sight and the most eagles I've ever seen at one time along with an osprey or two @)

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Yeah I don't why I wrote it like that. :cookoo:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:54 AM »
Yeah I don't why I wrote it like that. :cookoo:

no its cool.   Alot of people are just noticing them, but they've been around for a while now.  Its awesome to have such majestic birds back in our area.  :clap:

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:06 AM »
And don't forget these guys. If you get up at dawn to hit the Tommy you can hear them make quite a racket.  Caught this one spying on me on the north side. 

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:11 AM »
Interesting..you're saying the guy was using fatheads for walleyes? The only fatheads I've ever gotten were tiny little ones. So are they targeting smaller minnows for some reason, or are you getting large fatheads somewhere?

Very interesting and useful information about this widely misunderstood body of water. Much appreciated.
They're smaller.I will still run 1 with a sucker if I have them.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Yes Bart, I see the owls over there also along with the 7 swans this fall that were hanging around.  Great place to relax and watch the big flocks of ducks, Canadians, and snow geese coming in at the end of the day in November and every once in a while you get a fish on your line ;D 

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:18 AM »
no its cool.   Alot of people are just noticing them, but they've been around for a while now.  Its awesome to have such majestic birds back in our area.  :clap:
:thumbsup:

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Yes Bart, I see the owls over there also along with the 7 swans this fall that were hanging around.  Great place to relax and watch the big flocks of ducks, Canadians, and snow geese coming in at the end of the day in November and every once in a while you get a fish on your line ;D

By the time you get on the water all the Owls have been sleeping for an hour  ::)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:53 AM »
By the time you get on the water all the Owls have been sleeping for an hour  ::)

;D 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:26 AM »

:whistle: :roflmao:

Offline collarcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:54 PM »
My father and I saw both a golden and bald eagle one day while duck hunting the hoosick river last fall. I could not believe how large the golden eagle was compared to the bald eagle, it looked almost twice as big! When we first saw the golden eagle land in a tree downriver a few hundred yards I just thought it was juvenile bald eagle because it didn't have a white head. Then a bald eagle we had seen flying in the distance earlier came and landed in a tree right across from us and looking at the two of them it was obvious that the one downriver was no juvenile. The two of them were flying around the river valley for most of the morning and doing a fine job moving ducks for us too. It was one of those awesome days that remind you how much more there is to hunting and fishing than just killing and catching. Almost as good as the day a bobcat retrieved my wood duck for me @)
-Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.