The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Gasoline For Augers? Fuel Grade???  (Read 2053 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Gasoline For Augers? Fuel Grade???
« on: Feb 14, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Is it a better idea to use super unleaded gas to mix with your oil into your auger less expensive brands? I am always looking for things to help keep my auger running. We use regular unleaded and I forget the kind of oil my dad mixed with it this year but it's running good and I trust he put in the right kind and the right amount cause he knows a lot about engines. But do you think my auger would perform better or it would be better for long term performance to use higher grade gasoline?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Gasoline For Augers? Fuel Grade???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2004, 06:40 AM »
Use 87..................

Octane is a spark inhibitor. The reason you need high octane fuels in sports cars is due to the high compression engines. When you have fuel knock in your car it is because the fuel mixture is igniteing before the spark is actually made in the cylinder...due to high compression....Basicll y how a diesel engine works. Putting a high octane fuel into the motor allows the mixture to be fully compressed and ignited at the proper time. This is why you should only run a high enough octane fuel in you car to stop the spark knock.

Since auger motors are low compression, you only need...and should only run the low octane fuels. Higher octane fuels will not make them run better...they actually may make them run worse.

just my $.02

fishmann

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2004, 10:15 AM »
I know some will disagree, but I agree with Esox. The reduced volatility of premium will just make it harder for your auger to start in the cold. Wit the correct oil mix, your auger should run as good as it is ever going to on regular. Look at what the manufacturer recommends; if it ran better on premium, don't you think they'd say so? It's not like you're going through 20 gallons of gas a weekend and they're scared you'll be worried about the cost difference between reg and premium. It has to do with compression ratio, piston dome shape, quench area, ignition timing and other variables that just aren't an issue in an ice auger.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2004, 09:02 PM »
I use prenium in my auger only because I buy and store prenium gas for the snowmobiles which require it. The auger uses little gas, and the snowmobiles are gas hogs, so the gas I mix for the auger is always fresh. If I bought gas just for the auger, I would get regular. As others have said, its all about compression ratio.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.