The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy model 20 help  (Read 3514 times)

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy model 20 help
« on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I just picked up an old one arm bandit, Jiffy model 20.  Seems to be in good shape, except its missing the exhaust deflector.  Jiffy says a unit this old had a deflector, not a muffler.   From pictures of other units, the deflector is a rectangular shaped metal "box" attached to the exhaust port on the engine.  Any suggestions on how to find a replacement deflector would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline ice_mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Jiffy model 20 help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:39 PM »
The oval exhaut tube is made of cast aluminum and has 2 holes in the flange that bolts to the engine. It is approx 2 1/2 to 3 inches long
When you fire it up on the ice you'll have everyone within 2 miles looking your way ;D.
I now have a newer Jiffy we use.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2010, 06:43 PM »
It is a little loud!!! ::) Hopefully I'll be able to find someone with a model 20 they're parting out.  I'd like to quiet it down some...

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:51 AM »
Anyone out there have an idea how to quiet it down without a stock deflector??

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM »
mine has the little reflector and its reel loud also.it rips holes though.i can see the piston and rings thru the deflector so i dont think it does much.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:55 PM »
mine has the little reflector and its reel loud also.it rips holes though.i can see the piston and rings thru the deflector so i dont think it does much.
Thanks DR.  If it still drills like it should, I can stand the noise.  I've been told these older models are bulletproof.  As soon as we get some ice, I'll find out.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:16 PM »
Just did the wing handle conversion.  Should be a little easier to drill with now...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:23 PM »
Just did the wing handle conversion.  Should be a little easier to drill with now...
i thought about doing the conversion also.how much do you have into it?i have never had a problem with the 1 armed bandit and a lot of people stop by  on the ice and ask how old it is.i might keep it original but if the conversion is cheap..maybe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2010, 03:58 PM »
The kit + shipping was around $40.  They say it only works on the models with the black plastic gas tank, not with the metal tank.  Haven't used it yet, hoping to get out later this week.  But I thought it was a cheap enough upgrade to try...

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I had the metal tank version. The wings work, the throttle does not. The metal tank older units have float bowl carbs and the linkage they have in the kit doesn't hook up. I got the kit anyway and went to the hardware store, with a little ingenuity, I made it happen!  8)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I'm still working on the ingenuity part...  The throttle hook up on mine was a PITA, but got it mostly figured out.  It works fine, but don't get 100% throttle.  Think I can get the last little bit with a longer adjustment screw, just need to get the time to play with it again.  Glad to hear yours worked...

Offline landman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Sabattus Lake Fish For a Cure
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2011, 02:20 AM »
just picked up a suicide handle model with the plastic tank off Cl in my area. I had one years ago, yard sale for 10 bucks, could never get it going, shop said it was not worth fixin so I kept the 10 in blade. This one came with a 8 in blade, and the guy had made a nice box to keep the auger in, looks like its new, starts on second pull. Auger isnt even dinged up or rusty. Glad I saved the 10 in auger from almost as many years ago.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:41 AM »
just picked up a suicide handle model with the plastic tank off Cl in my area. I had one years ago, yard sale for 10 bucks, could never get it going, shop said it was not worth fixin so I kept the 10 in blade. This one came with a 8 in blade, and the guy had made a nice box to keep the auger in, looks like its new, starts on second pull. Auger isnt even dinged up or rusty. Glad I saved the 10 in auger from almost as many years ago.
Sounds nice.  Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.