The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anyone still fish blind?  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone still fish blind?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2016, 06:22 PM »
If I forgot my flasher I probably wouldn't fish that day, If I forgot my poles I would probably just sit on the ice and watch my flasher.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2016, 12:25 AM »
Interesting replies... sounds like the verdict is... ice fishing without a flasher?  Is that even ice-fishing?

For me it comes down to fun... I know you can still catch a mess of fish without one like the old timers did... but I highly doubt they had as much fun as we do watching our screens light up!  I'm of the "video-game" generation so maybe that is why I find it fun... I couldn't tell you why exactly it is more fun, maybe more interactive is the word.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2016, 01:22 AM »
I have never fished with electronics on the ice or open water. For myself, I fish and hunt to get away from the screens that invade my everyday life. Even if I'm not "connecting" with fish, I feel far more connected to the outdoors and to the fish below when I am straining to see that tip bend or to feel that little extra weight on the other end when they are biting light.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2016, 02:01 PM »
I was fishing Saratoga Tourny this last weekend and a guy came over to me as I was catching sucker after sucker and asked what I was using to catch so many fish.  I showed him my Vexilar and had a trout shoot off the bottom and smash my jig.  He was probably 40 and had never even heard of using a flasher. Didnt think that was even possible these days!

Offline MountainGunner007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2016, 02:58 PM »
There are a few of us left, it sounds like!  I haven't ever used one.  I've only been out a few times though -- I'm still new and just getting into it.  That having been said, I found a pretty good deal on an older Marcum VX-1 Pro unit, and jumped on it.  I just haven't been able to try it out yet. 

Offline Jimbok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:52 PM »
I've held off for many years, but finally ordered an LX6 this week. Can wait to try it out! Sure will make fishing unfamiliar ice a lot more fun and productive.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Have fun Jimbok, you'll wonder how you ever fished without one!  Let us know if you have any questions on using it.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2016, 01:31 AM »
When I didn't have it I didn't know what I was missing but now that I have it I don't want to be without it.

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 01, 2016, 01:17 PM »
I started years ago with a fishing buddy fish finder.  It had a side shooter, and helped locate fish sorta ok.  My next one was a Showdown, what a game changer.  I then bought a VX-1Pro after season sale to try a flasher, it has been my favorite so far (wish it had a dig depth, and battery meter), and the showdown became the loaner.  To my surprise, I am getting a tax refund this year, and I pulled the trigger and ordered a LX-7 Friday. Electronics are the cat's meow to see if there are fish there, and how they react to your presentation.   ;D

Offline DBit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:07 PM »
I've never been lucky enough to use one. I wish I had one for the deeper lakes but I still manage to catch some nice fish

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2016, 10:29 AM »
At the risk of sounding like a hypocrit, I have started considering a flasher purchase. Check out this thread, it really swayed me:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=327500.0
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Jimbok

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:49 PM »
I've been fishing blind for years, but after sharing a hole with a buddy and his flasher, I finally pulled the trigger on an LX-6. Just arrived today! Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. By all accounts (it seems), flashers are game changers.

Offline WYOphisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2016, 08:58 AM »
how far of a range do these "flashers have"? Apparently Ive been blind w/out knowing it.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2016, 12:38 PM »
how far of a range do these "flashers have"? Apparently Ive been blind w/out knowing it.
What part of the state do you live in? Plenty of guys would be willing to let you take a test drive. As far as range, do you mean depth?

Offline WesternAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I don't see the need for one.  Fishing for me is about getting away from all of the electronic technology that inundates our daily lives.  I still manage to catch plenty of fish too.  I feel a better connection with what I'm doing if I have to feel it out the old fashioned way.

Offline groganslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:06 AM »
Fished for the first time this last weekend with my brothers... Wow.  I loved it.  Had a ton of fun and caught more fish than I think we would have without it.

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 11, 2016, 10:03 AM »
I'm just getting back into ice fishing after a long hiatus. I have a cheap fish finder that tells me depth and will do a decent job at least showing me a few fish but I am definitely fishing blind when fishing by someone with a flasher. Some day I'll pick one up but for now it's semi-old school for me.

Offline sickchopperaltitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Mar 01, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Im fishing old school this year.  It is my first year back on the ice from my days with grandfather.  I dropped plenty of cash getting back into it.  I am definitely sold on getting a marcum something or other.  Next year....next year

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Mar 01, 2016, 08:31 PM »
If I am dead stickin Okay but I ussually put out dead sticks then jig with one. I wouldn't jig without my finder. NO NO NO Won't do it. When I fish for Lakers its a must to see how they are reacting to my offering. Fish On

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.