The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Welcome to all the New Guys  (Read 4397 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Welcome to all the New Guys
« on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Since there are just too many to name individually, please take a moment on this thread to introduce yourselves and  a hearty Wyoming Iceshanty welcome to all of you.    ;D          Tight lines!  :tipup:
                                           Don MFF/Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Welcome to all the New Guys
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Not necessarily a new guy around these parts. Use to go by Big Ice. But I would like to say hello to all the new Wyoming IS members.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...why'd you change yer handle BI ? Don  ;D

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:37 PM »
Hey LT,
           I guess to make a long story short.  I'm on some other forums, and have decided to use a more generic name that would work for all seasons and hobbies. Big Ice just did not work for other web sites, like MFF and MHF, I tried to limit the number of names and passwords I have. I was getting to many to remember.
       Thanks for all your work on the Wyoming site.
                                                                     Steve

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:51 PM »
 I am 26 and a father of two boys 4 and 6. I am just getting into college after 8 yrs banging nails. My wife is currently looking to start a masters at the university. We came here to raise the boys in a healthier environment.

I came from the Pacific Northwest where I grew up fishing fast water. I am new to ice fishing this being my second season but I am already addicted. I have ambitions of guiding one day but where and what for is still up in the air. My favorite fish to catch any season are catfish and small mouth. Only fish ever landed hard water is rainbow trout. My handle here is on many other forums and it is always me.....

tight lines,
TAZ (my initials ;) )
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:10 PM »
This site is great. I appreciate reading all the new reports every monday and love ice fishing. Thanks everyone for helping me familiarize myself with Wyoming bodies of water. Good luck this season and happy holidays.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:36 AM »
Hello newbies and oldies. How many are there of us Wy ice nuts?

Offline Squirl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:38 PM »
I've been reading the posts since last year, and I decided to join the group.  Last year was the first year I spent a lot of time on the ice, and I plan on fishing even more this winter.  I live in Douglas and primarly fish Pathfinder, Alcova and the plains lakes.  I flyfish during the summer so trout is my main target, however I am slowly learning about "eyes".  Everyone's full of good information, and I will post info after my outtings.

Offline Wyohomeboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:11 PM »
I just found this website about a month ago.  I grew up in upstate New York, dad started me icefishing at 3yrs of age, and have ice fished every year since.  I moved to Laramie when I was eighteen, and got a degree in Chemistry from UW - I did take a year off school in 83 and framed houses in Alaska - Ice fished there also.

I have had the following counties for license plates, and some of them twice, 2,3,4,5,6,10, and 19.  From moving around so much, i have fished many of the lakes in Wyoming.  I like perch and walleye the best, and am headed to Boysen tomorrow.  My job has recently ended, and I am actively seeking work, so ice fishing may be a bit limited this year.

Good fishing to you all

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2009, 01:42 PM »
Im from Pinedale and have spent 22 years in the area.  I've been a carpenter in the area for 12 years.  My login name is as such because my sons name is Trout.  I definetly enjoy all the info on the sight and had only originally joined to sign up for the online tourney.  Fishing for me is a way of life;  not just a hobby or a pasttime!  Its way more expensive than that!  All kidding aside, Im glad to be a part of Team Wyoming and can't wait to contribute some of my knowledge and prowess against all that swims here in good ol' Wyoming.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Hey all i live in rock springs and have lived here for my whole life of 25 years.  i love it around here,  it nice not having to go far to be near the lake or just be out in the hills.  my dad got me started fishing and i have been doing it as long as i can remember, but have only been ice fishing for three years now and i love it.  hope everyone has a good hardwater season and good luck.  go team wyo.

Offline wygeargeek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Hi, I live in Lander and fish Ocean and Boysen, and Dinwoody,  not as often as I'd like but quite a bit over the years.  Been viewing this site for a while watching my nephew "Mooter's" posts in particular.  Thought as I keep coming here I should sign up! :tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:30 PM »
fcso, I sent you a pm, but you may not be able to respond to it, if so, let me know, I'll shoot you the e-mail address... or you can get it from Mooter.                                              Don LT/Iceshanty Moderator :tipup:

Offline wyofisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:22 PM »
Hey I am the wyohikeit from last year. I am wyofisher this year because I could not remember my password and the damn computer would not let me sign on without changing it GGRRR

Thanks LT for all you do for making this site great!

I live in Cody spend a lot of time pulling lakers onto the ice at Buffalo Bill or Cutts at sunshine when the wind blows at Buff Bill.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:40 PM »
You are welcome sir and thank you for the kind words. If however, you wish to remain Wyohikeit, a simple PM from you to Iceshanty will remedy that.    Don                              LT/MFF/Iceshanty Moderator  :tipup:

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2009, 12:37 AM »
Hello Big Wyoming!!!

New guy to Ice Shanty here...........not a big computer social networking type but I really like the sight since it is full of hard water nuts like myself. I'm from the East............(don't hold that against me!) but I have spent a little time in the north west corner of your state and became very fond of the area. Your fortunate to have so many hunting and fishing opportunities........a nd lots of space between you and the next guy. Offten heard that some nice walleys could be caught on the big horn river, never had the opportunity to "wet a line" though.

Does anyone ever ice fish the small beaver flows and ponds up in the big horn mtns. I remember seeing real nice trout in real small water, looked like brookies but I'm not sure.

Anyway, have a great season!

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:46 AM »
hey newbies and oldies welcome to the new hardwater season. you can catch some nice brookies through the ice at meadowlark in the bighorns..if you have a snowmobile east tensleep lake is good also.

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Certified Ice Nut Here!!!! ::) hello newbies & regulars

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:56 PM »
My name is Matt, I live in Douglas, moved here from Colorado 4 yrs ago with my job for BNSF. Have ben fishing/ ice fishing all my life.
 Lurked here for awile.

Seems like a good site, so here I am.

Mostly ice fish Glendo and Toltec, but am gonna go to Boysen in a couple weeks.

Alwase looking for people who are SERIOUS about icefishing , pretty hard to come by.......

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:41 PM »
Thanks LT.

Name is Jon.  From Evanston, Wyoming.  I'm currently in Laramie though studying Petroleum Engineering.

Don't mind catching trout but prefer warm water species, walleye, crappie, catfish, ect. 

"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Hello,

Ive been in WYO a few years now. Ice fishing every chance I get. So far this year ive hit Boysen, Ocean, Glendo, and Gray Rocks. Lookin forward to another hot season on the hardwater.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Hello,

Ive been in WYO a few years now. Ice fishing every chance I get. So far this year ive hit Boysen, Ocean, Glendo, and Gray Rocks. Lookin forward to another hot season on the hardwater.
Please to finish the story. What'd ya' catch????? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thread killer

Offline Pokefishin66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2009, 10:48 PM »
Whats up guys

My name is Cory I'm from Evanston but currently live in Laramie going to school for pharmacy.  Been fishing all my life and usually ice fish Hattie, the gorge, and sometimes boysen and ocean.  Thinkin about trying my luck at glendo this year but never fished it before.

Appreciate all the tips and will post some results after I get on the ice!

Offline mulebarnmax

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 24, 2009, 07:48 AM »
Hello,

you have any luck at Grayrocks??
No jet skiers, no bugs...how can you not like ice fishing??

Offline whiskersjunkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:02 AM »
  live in douglas but not a big fan of the ice at glendo, have fished it a few times with no results. i go to boysen a few times a year but always just trout. ive started my quest to figure out the walleye, perch, crappie thing at boysen ive got all the gear i need, just gotta do the time. i take advice very well. hint hint hint

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:30 AM »
Welcome to all the newbies. Good Luck to all this season. Be safe.

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 24, 2009, 10:09 AM »
I've lived in Star Vally for 3 years now, originally from Boise. I love it up here, great fishin. I eat, sleep and breath fishin. I enjoy all types, have only been ice fishing since I moved over here. Really enjoy the windrivers, and love its backcountry.

I'm 32 years old, well almost, married to my best friend, and we have 3 kids(4,8,12). Most of the time they my fishing buddies, but not so much on the ice.

Question: Has anyone tried to go up to Fayette lake to ice fish? I went up this summer and fishing was great, rainbows, brookies, mac's, and browns in one day. I would like to try the ice, not sure if I can get a sled up there, or if its even allowed, I know its not in the wilderness, the border is up above near blacks lake.

Look forward to providing my two cents, thanks for having me.

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Please to finish the story. What'd ya' catch????? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was skunked at boysen last saturday but hammered the perch on sunday. Glendo ive been jiggin minnows catchin some small eyes. Gray rocks has been slow, but when the ice becomes safer I will hit the dam and should do well. So far just a few  small smallies on tube jigs.

Offline TN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Nice site, good info, thanks LT for maintaining it.  I've lived in Laramie 30-some years, came to UW from the midwest.  Nobody ice fished here back then, nobody sold ice fishing gear.  Started the trend at Lake Hattie, which was full back then - my friend and I were about the only fools out there the first couple years.  Chopped holes in the ice with an axe until I had my dad buy an auger back home and ship it out here.  Ice fished a lot, saw the perch go thru a cycle, started 7-8" avg in 1980 and steadily grew bigger each year until my buddy and I traded 12, 14, and then 16"ers on consecutive days, then realized the state record was 13".  After that the pop exploded, they got stunted and we caught dinks by the 100s.  That's when G&F stocked the Macs.  Caught lots of trout back then too.  Started seeing more and more ice fisherman, can't claim credit for popularizing the sport out here - maybe it just happened.  Shouldn't say this, but brought another midwestern norm out here - driving on the ice; why not when it's 1.5' thick?  Saw that grow in popularity too, until one day counted 52 vehicles on Hattie.  Not long after, a few went thru the ice.  The end of a short era...that was before 4-wheelers were born.  Hattie perch are back to decent sizenow, but don't taste good after years of low water and alkalinity buildup.  So that's my ice fishing story.  Merry Chritmas!

Online Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:57 AM »
I go up and ice fish Fayette once or twice a year.  The fishing can be really hit or miss--I have caught rainbows, browns, brookies, lake trout and cutthroat in one day out of there.  More often then not I catch a few rainbows and browns and the occasional laker.  The overflow can get pretty bad up there, and together with drilling 36" of ice with a hand auger makes moving and drilling to find the fish a chore!!

As far as getting up to the lake, the hike with snowshoes can be easy or hard, depending on snow depth and consistency.  I have gone in there when the crust was frozen and it was a piece of cake.  The hike out was a b***h however, as the crust had softened and I was postholing with 40" snowshoes!!

Last year we had a lot of snow and there were snowmachine tracks on the lake.  Most years that is just not an option....

Question: Has anyone tried to go up to Fayette lake to ice fish? I went up this summer and fishing was great, rainbows, brookies, mac's, and browns in one day. I would like to try the ice, not sure if I can get a sled up there, or if its even allowed, I know its not in the wilderness, the border is up above near blacks lake.

Look forward to providing my two cents, thanks for having me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.