Author Topic: At season's end do you switchover your ice-fishing reels to open-water rods?  (Read 3638 times)

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
At season's end do you switchover your reels to open-water rods. or do you have reels for each season and store them accordingly? I switch them over and just wondered what the rest of you do. If you have reels for each season maybe this could provide a excuse to buy more reels heh? ;D

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I have reels (my wife says to many) for each season.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 I've got enough rods and reels already for the open water season, i do more switching of them to icefishing rods the i do the other way around
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
every rod I own (50-75) has it's own reel. As cheap as good reels are these days I can't see unwrapping an ice rod/reel to put it on an open water rod.
Pete Lewis

Offline Tim Hanford

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
I use my ultra light open water reels for my ice fishing rods so yes, I do switch them back and forth.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Most of my ice fishing rods have L'Cheap "O" reels on them that I bought for ice fishing. I have one ultra lite quantum and one garcia that I could use for open water. I don't use ultralite rods or reels much in open water so they stay on my ice rods.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
i have seperate rods and reels for each season.in a couple of weeks when the ice season ends i will respool most of my ice reels and take them apart and clean them.my open water reels are already respooled and cleaned and ready to go.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
Since I use my Slammer Tip-Ups all year long, the reels that are on the Slammer Rods generally stay there. I leave the reels on my microlight icefishing panfish rod and walleye ice-jigging rod. The reels on the Swish Rods for perch don't come off.

Tip-Up fishin' in the summer - nothin' like it!!

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Since I use my Slammer Tip-Ups all year long, the reels that are on the Slammer Rods generally stay there. I leave the reels on my microlight icefishing panfish rod and walleye ice-jigging rod. The reels on the Swish Rods for perch don't come off.

Tip-Up fishin' in the summer - nothin' like it!!

Thats a pretty good idea, sit up on the beach and watch yo :thumbsup:ur line of tip ups on the dock
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
Thats a pretty good idea, sit up on the beach and watch your line of tip ups on the dock

I don't get too much work done on the boat when the fish are biting. A buddy of mine let go of his lawnmower on a slight hill when his flag went up on his Slammer at his cabin last year. He's lucky it only rolled down about ten feet and stopped on the little beach before the lake. He got the small bass too.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
All of my old open face reels get recycled as icefishing reels.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline cheffy

• IceShanty Rookie

I have separate gear for openwater and hardwater but I do use my 36 inch ice rod and ultra light reel when I go "dappling" for brown trout. It's the perfect size for those tight places and backhand casts.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thats a pretty good idea, sit up on the beach and watch yo :thumbsup:ur line of tip ups on the dock
I agree, that is pretty slick Slammerman.
Looks like you guys make a darn good case to have enough reels to not have to switch-over. I will show this vital info to the expense dept. and see if I can add a couple more for starters.  ;D THX for the casual but oh so true sales pitch. Hope it works!  8)

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have specific equipment for each season and never cross over any equipment. With all of the info about the Slammer I picked up on this site I decided to pick one up for next year - until Slammerman presented this wonderful idea. I believe I will be picking one up this week. BRILLIANT!!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I take all the oils and grease out of my winter reels to prevent gumming up. So I have both ice and summer reels cause I know I would forget to replace the oil and grease for the summer.

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
I take all the oils and grease out of my winter reels to prevent gumming up.
What do you run in them during the winter or don't you? I put some Blue-Lube in mine.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
I dont run anything in them for the winter...I tried hot sauce and didnt like it.....I tried the shimano stuff and it froze a little on me. I found just cleaning everything out really well works best for me.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I see no point in not changing over.  I don't change my Shimano 500's because I don't use ultralight tackle in the summer.  I do change my Shimano 2000 over to a longer 6'6" rod.  Most reels today come with an extra spool. So, you can have a spool of regular summer line and a spool of ice line.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm a switch over kind of guy, ice combos are only 10-15 dollars

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
I dont bother changing any more have aquired to much tackle over the years. Some of my ice reels have fold in reel handles handy for rod cases .Those out fits stay together when I quad or snowmoblie onto the ice. Its hard enough keeping track of when you changed line on 40 outfits.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
I have separate reels for icefishing.  I don't think my ice reels would hold up to a 30 lb. king. 

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
I use the same ultra reels For pan fishing then switch to hard water work this keeps me honest as to changing line often.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline keny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just poken holes
I don`t switch anymore, as my finances improved I bought more stuff, enough to supply a friend if needed. I can remember when I ice fished with mono tied to an alder branch and a plain hook. (not even a jig) I used half my spinning rod sometimes too. (including the reel) Now I don`t fish without my vexilar, lifes good!!

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
I go stand at the freezer with the door open and cry :'( 

Offline artycat

• IceShanty Rookie
Ok, maybe not that bad! I have other rods and reels for soft water, but I do still use my ultra light jigers from the boat for panfish.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
I actually like to use my ice rigs in the summer when I get on some nice gills or perch. I like the huge fight they can put up when they're not so lethargic.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
i dont switch reels over i have enough for each rod but still use the ice rods in the summer jigging for perch and the odd walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.