Author Topic: How thick is thick?  (Read 796 times)

Offline FatRap

• Team IceShanty Regular
How thick is thick?
« on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I'm from southern Michigan and was just wondering what's the thickest ice you Alaska boys (and girls) have ever had to drill through?  Down here we might get 2' on a extreme cold winter but on average I would say 10" to 15"s at the peak of winter.

Offline BigRaven

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: How thick is thick?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2009, 05:51 PM »
I have seen it close to six feet and had to have two extensions on the auger and start drilling standing on the tailgate of my truck. It has been awhile since I have seen it that thick, but if this -50 keeps up we might see it again.

Offline idontcare312

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to die fishing!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2009, 06:32 PM »
 :o Love to see a pic of that best here is one extension. ;D

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Here fishy ...fishy..."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:07 PM »
I have seen it close to six feet and had to have two extensions on the auger and start drilling standing on the tailgate of my truck. It has been awhile since I have seen it that thick, but if this -50 keeps up we might see it again.
Dude, you're a better man than I am, I once drilled a dry hole on Big Lake at around 4 1/2 feet.  I quit there tho!  I had even augered out around the top of the hole so's I could sink the powerhead down a ways, so I reckon around 5 feet, could'a been six tho, I never struck water!  And you're right, this bloody weather probably put another foot or more on, and I was cutting 34" last week.  And on top of it all, most of my winter fishing is darkhouse spearing for pike, and cutting a 2'x3'x3+' hole gets damn interesting without some type of explosive ;D
\"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy\"___Benjamin Franklin
Fish each time as though it were your last...for one time, it will be.

Offline Tinman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:51 PM »
I was too cheap to buy the extension when I got my last auger so I built one myself. It is 16" and a slightly better fit than the factory eskimo ones. A couple years later we found ice on figure 8 lake that took the entire auger and most of the extension. Enough of the extension that we had to stop and shovel several times before breaking though to keep the carb from sucking snow and ice flakes. We never did measure it but I know it was thick!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.