Author Topic: Chassell Bay Walleye  (Read 12498 times)

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chassell Bay Walleye
« on: Dec 13, 2010, 10:05 PM »
How do you's think the walleye's will be this year on the humps in chassell? I hear last year they weren't too great last year. I wanna get my permanent shack out there this year once the ice is safe. Any comments on topic would be great.

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chassell Bay Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2010, 02:58 PM »
There's Walleye in Portage Lake?  ??? I'm getting ready for a slow winter and that's being optimistic!
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Ya thats a good answer. The indians speared how many this spring??? >:(

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Like OLD MUD said. its not lookin good

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Fished tonight. One pike, ice just north of the narrows was 6 inches
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Well anyone on here been to the humps yet? My shack will be out there on saturday. Black 4x8, with outline of the UP on it.

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Fished the humps two times already, nothing, not even one single bite, didn't chart any fish , the under water camera showed dead water only, usually its good early in the season, wasn't last year and it's not this year.I don't trust the DNR fish numbers, I think 99.9% of the fish were speared.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Zee-How deep were you fishing? And how was the ice out there anyway?

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:17 PM »
I was on about 28 ft of water, the ice was about 4 good inches + couple inches of lesser quality, I bet its much more now, there are few permanents now.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:03 PM »
So do you think its enough to hold a 4x8 shanty?

Offline The Old Mud

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:07 PM »
In the gazette today to reports the DNR is going to resume it's walleye stocking program.   There may be hope for portage in 2015......
Ross Rinkinen
The Old Mud

Offline jrzimmer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:48 PM »
r u putting your shack out tomorrow...ill be putting mine out there bright and early...maybe ill see ya out there

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:20 PM »
Well its half my shack half my buddies shack, but it has my name on it. I'm outta town right now till monday, but he should be getting it out there in the afternoon sometime. Black shack with outline of the UP on it in white.

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Yeah, DNR said that in 1 year they will be  running at 80% for walleye rearing. 2 yrs from now will be turning out 100% of what they used to plant. Where they plant them is a different story altogether. Portage won't have the good to great walleye fishin it used to for a while >:(             Have been out a few times and talked to locals. First ice is usually best but nobody's gettin nothin!

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:06 PM »
So do you think its enough to hold a 4x8 shanty?

It should be enough now.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Anything being caught out there at all?! Pretty damn ridonculous! :tipup:

Offline DB Cooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I had a bite tonight jigging. Thought that was pretty good ??? Pike fisherman have been doing good on tip-ups

Offline MeStevieB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Hello, new to the area and I keep hearing about the humps, can anyone fill me in to as where that is and if walleye or pike are the target for that area. Any Info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks......... :tipup:

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Ya thats a good answer. The indians speared how many this spring??? >:(
It was under 2000 fish, they never reached their quota, last night of spearing walleye were everywhere in the bay, think they were a week early, but 2000 fish isnt enough fish to hurt population, how many people fish walleye their? How many keep them? I think something else is hurting the population, how many people have caught eurasian ruffes their, I took my family fishing off the peir this summer and we caught tons of these, do you know what these do to the predator fish population, but i guess its easier blaming it on the indians!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:56 PM »
It was under 2000 fish, they never reached their quota, last night of spearing walleye were everywhere in the bay, think they were a week early, but 2000 fish isnt enough fish to hurt population, how many people fish walleye their? How many keep them? I think something else is hurting the population, how many people have caught eurasian ruffes their, I took my family fishing off the peir this summer and we caught tons of these, do you know what these do to the predator fish population, but i guess its easier blaming it on the indians!

Yeah it was well under 2000 fish, and the last night of spearing was the poorest for take.  The first night was the best according to the dudes I talked to after the 6 nights of spearing.  The fish were spent out for the most part on the last 2 nights and were moving too deep to be taken (plus some of them likely figured out how to evade lights and spears after the first nights LOL).........  Also the fishing in Portage has been poor for years, and stocking has not happened in over 5!  Coincidence?  The indians stocked over 3500 3-7 inchers at Pike Bay this summer, and will likely do more.  The DNR is also finally able and willing to fire up the eye stocking again.....just wait a bit folks, things may be lookin up!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Yes i heard that the tribe plans to plant more walleyes their for the next couple of years, im not sure on this i was told by an employee that works at the fisheries, and i heard the size mite increase that they release, and with the state planting, chassell bays future looks to get better for the eyes!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Yes i heard that the tribe plans to plant more walleyes their for the next couple of years, im not sure on this i was told by an employee that works at the fisheries, and i heard the size mite increase that they release, and with the state planting, chassell bays future looks to get better for the eyes!

So how many eyes have you taken out of Portage lately, slayer? 

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Ah, none, i suck at walleye fishing!

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Has anyone been out to the humps lately?  I'm hoping to get out there Thurs morn and maybe a few times next week.  Would like to drive the truck out there if possible as the sled is still out of commission.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Ah, none, i suck at walleye fishing!

Thats not what I heard in Baraga, L'Anse and Chassell!  I guess it all depends on tactic and timing!   :)

Offline rricchi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Since I have never seen a truck or car, ever, on the ice on Portage Lake, I wouldn't recommend it. There must be a reason!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:09 PM »
Yeah, you best use caution out there.  Last late winter there were a couple of guys testing the ice with vehicles in Pike Bay, and they were getting many looks and comments!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Yeah, you best use caution out there.  Last late winter there were a couple of guys testing the ice with vehicles in Pike Bay, and they were getting many looks and comments!

I guess you guys weren't at the VFW tourney this last weekend! There was vehicles everywhere! From the head of the bay to the across from the mouth of the sturgeon river on the humps. TJ-there was vehicles all over the humps, we can make it.       I even made it out there with my car with no problem. The last melt we had was great as it melted most of the snow and froze solid again.

Offline updeerhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:18 PM »
Just like keweenaw bay, other shacks are still out there, whats the problem.   :P The only risky spot is through the narrows. Personally i'm not old enough to remember it but decade ago there was a bunch of vehicles that broke the ice where the current tends to keep the ice thin.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2011, 09:44 AM »
We were fishing in the narrows on Saturday and there was over 18 inches of ice.  Farther in the bay there was closer to 30+ inches as reported by some buddies.  Said they almost bottomed out their auger!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.