Author Topic: how much for live minnows  (Read 4568 times)

grumpymoe

how much for live minnows
« on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:34 AM »
what do you pay for a dozen live minnows/what kind are available and how do they package them for transport???? :P   my local shop charges 2.50 for a generous dozen 3-4 " chub placed in a styrofoam container ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On the ice it's twice as nice!
Re:how much for live minnows
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:52 AM »
I pay $5.00 Canadian for a dozen 3-3.5" shiners.  They are packaged in heavy clear plastic bags.  I always use a small cooler with a locking lid as my minnow bucket, that way there is no water splashing around on the four wheeler and the minnows will not freeze if stored in the garage.  

The shop I buy off is awesome.  I was given the owners home # and told any day any time, if i need something (minnows or tackle) to call and he will open up the shop.  Now thats service.

Lombardy, Ontario, Canada

Offline hollywood_pete

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:50 PM »
Around here nobody really sells minnows by the dozen.  A common question asked at bait shops is "How many minnows do I get in a dozen?"  The shop I buy from gives you about 30 minnows in a "dozen" for something like $2.50.  These are little crappie minnows, not big shiners or whatever.  You just bring in your minnow bucket and they dump in a couple scoops of minnows.  I went to one shop where they actually counted each individual little crappie minnow.....I've NEVER been back in there.

trapdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2003, 12:57 PM »
a scoop of crappie minnows is a 1.50 and a dozen walleye shiners are 5.00.

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:05 PM »
my bait suplier is 2.50 canadian for a dozen but it is way more and they vary in size from 1" to 4" so i think i'll stay geting them from there.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Depending on size - pinheads are cheap, small shiners = $2.50, medium = $3.50, large = $4.50, Pike = 7.50, 6"-1' suckers or golden pond shiners $1.00-$3.00 each. I'm going to attempt to catch my own suckers and golden pond shiners this year. Any tips appreciated.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:34 PM »
muskiematt  $1.00 to $3.00 for a shiner :o :o :o--how big are they?? when i was a kid, we would catch shiners on a slender birch pole with black sewing thread with a super small j-hook tipped with a tiny piece of earthworm.man that was a lot of fun trying to fill up our baitbucket but it sure worked--all the best  :'( :'( :'(

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:47 PM »
Perch minnows (small) are $2.50 for two dozen, but you always get plenty.
Walleye minnows are usually $2.00 a dozen and the big 6 inch suckers are fifty cents each but they live forever.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:56 PM »
Grump - $2.00 for a 1' sucker. Not a bad price, my wife got a 5'10" sucker for free!  ;D The availabilty last year was aweful. That's why I'd like to catch my own. I have bait traps, and a samll jigging pole, we'll see what happens. Theres a bait shop on Pittsfield (Porters Bait) these guys know their stuff, fishing - hunting, very nice and pleasant.

trapperdirk

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2003, 02:58 PM »
$4.50 cdn. for a dozen shiners . $3.50 for a scoop of pinheads . Any good minnows like chub or suckers are priceless so I trap myself . LOL

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:03 PM »
muskiematt-- :o :o :o :o  wowwwwwwww i've never seen a 5'10" sucker before. you must have a big swimming pool or something. ;D ;D ;D i bet you that would be a hard one to clean ;D ;D--merry christmas-grumpy

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:11 PM »
I just ask for a 3 dollar scoop if I'm buying them.Most bait I catch myself.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:13 PM »
If I have a season like last year  >:(, I'll probably have my buddies cut out a hole big eneough for me, tie me to the end of the line and lower me into the depths to catch Mr. Pike or Muskie. I swear sometimes I think I'll have a better chance of grabbing one as they swim by me than enticing one to take a golden pond shiner. Happy Holidays to you grump.

redneck

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2003, 03:27 PM »
To catch chubs and small bullhead I use a piece of beef liver in a minnow trap.The bullhead work great on a set line for cats.Catch all my bait runnig a set line I'd go broke buying bait.To catch shinners I use a piece of bread.
Redneck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.