Author Topic: Lake Gogebic Northern Pike  (Read 1600 times)

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Gogebic Northern Pike
« on: Mar 05, 2009, 12:39 PM »
I'm really surprised that I don't read lots of success stories about pike thru the ice. When I fish this lake at the end of May for walleye, I always catch more pike than walleye.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Gogebic Northern Pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2009, 10:12 AM »
I have only caught 2 pike all winter and both were in the Bergland Bay (5-10' feet of water) in the early part season.  I have heard a few reports of a couple of big pike being caught in the bay this winter.  I usually don't catch too many once I start fishing the deep water for eye's and perch.  Most of the guys reproting on here are fishing perch out in the 25' range.
[img]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teamU.gif[img]

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009, 08:58 AM »
I have only caught 2 pike all winter and both were in the Bergland Bay (5-10' feet of water) in the early part season.  I have heard a few reports of a couple of big pike being caught in the bay this winter.  I usually don't catch too many once I start fishing the deep water for eye's and perch.  Most of the guys reproting on here are fishing perch out in the 25' range.
Since I know from many open-water trips to this lake that it is loaded with pike, it seems like you would catch more while fishing for other species. I have caught them both shallow and deep in that lake!
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:05 AM »
I agree in the summer I catch a lot of pike in all different depths, and catching only 2 all winter is a bit unusual ???.  From the reports of guys that I talk to and fish with they have all pretty much experienced the same results.  Maybee someone else could add their experiences?   

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:02 PM »
when i came down i was fishing out from 8mile bay and i was in 26fow. After a few hours of fishin i decided to put out a tipup, so i got my 3in sucker on the hook and was letting it down all of a sudden something grabed the line right out of my hands  and took off with it. So i pulled the fish up and sure enough it was about a 25in northern.I unhooked em and let him grow a little, or maybee some one else will get em  ;D :tipup:

Offline UPhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:30 AM »
davemillertime,

Way to prove my theories wrong ;D.  You fish Lake Gogebic for 2 days and catch a Pike, I fish it probably 30 -35 Days and only catch 2.  Dumb Luck I guess.  Good Luck out there this weekend :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.