Author Topic: 1st time to Massabesic- where do I get bait and where to set-up????  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Timmy-time!

• IceShanty Rookie
I am traveling from RI with some coworkers to hopefully have a good day of icefishing at Massabesic. (no safe ice yet in lil' Rhody, so we have to go north) It will be our first time there and have no clue where the good spots are or more importantly, what areas to stay away from.

Can anyone help me out by letting me know where to get bait in the area?  Also, where can I set up so we can have a decent chance at catching some fish?  I am thinking about parking at the lot just south of the rotary (across from the ball fields) and then heading over to the first set of points to the right. Not as far as "Rocky Point" but between that area between there and the parking lot. That area looks like it has some nice coves and points with some decent depth changes. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is probably the only time that we will be able to get together to do this.  I would like them to get at least some action. :tipup:

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Wildlife Taxidermy & Sports in Manchester is on the way and carry some basic shiners and tackle (also usually have some good ice gear). Google them for the number and call 1st to check if they have bait. They usually do but I have seen when they don't for various reasons.

101 East to Exit 1, right off exit to rotary (Wildlife is here), 3/4 around the circle you will continue on and see the lake on your right. This is one of the more open sections. Be careful if you fish this side as ice making is sketchy everywhere but smaller bodies have been locking up quicker. You will eventually come to an intersection after a small bridge. Turn right and there is a boat ramp on the right about 1/2 mile down (Claire's landing). BE VERY careful moving on to the ice right here as there is a river on the right and the ice thickness is unreliable. Stay to your left as you enter and do check the ice as you go out. Weedline will vary from 8-15 feet and when you find it, that will be the active tip-up if you know what I mean...  ;) Pretty much this whole back cove is good for bass, pickerel, perch, and even pike. I have also caught rainbows in here but rare (for me). There are many other places to fish on this lake.

I have no knowledge regarding the current ice conditions on Massy so hopefully someone else can chime in on that for you.

Good luck and be safe.

-Brian

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
Just don't plan on going toooo early to get bait over at Wildlife. There the only bait shop that opens at 9am. It's funny. Well not really.

I would suggest getting your bait the night before so that you're not waiting for them to open. You lose 2 hours of ice time....

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ha I know of a bait shop that has worse hours than that. Its sad cause I couldn't ask for a more convenient spot to where I fish like across the street to the pond. I am sure some of you know who I am speaking of. I gave up on him a few years ago. But now they tell us when we can and cant fish that pond anyways so.

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't know if I'm aloud to advertise myself here or not. But I have a hunting and fishing store in Raymond NH. Raymond Woods and Water exit 5 off 101 in the cozy corners plaza next to louie's pizza on the corner of 27 and 156. I sell shiners in two sizes medium and medium heavy on the weekends I open at 6am and during the week at 8am closed on Mondays, that's when I fish ;D
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline markus6898

• Team IceShanty Regular
There is a place in hookset, Steve's Archery he sells a variety of bait.  I am not sure what you will find for ice conditions on the lake.  I would call the taxidermy place right next to the lake to see if anyone has fished it. 

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
I thought I saw a sign on the door at Wildlife Taxidermy that said their ice fishing hours had them opening at 6am.  I'd call them... but I'm pretty sure they're opening up earlier.

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
You could be correct on that one. I haven't been back since. I know there are some employee's and patrons of that place, so I won't get into it.....

If you're coming all the way from Rhode Island, I would make the call to check though.

I got burned more than once when encorporating that place into my icefishing plans.

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
i work at wildlife.. on saturday and sunday we open at 6AM.. and monday-friday we open at 8:30

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
Well I guess that settles that then.

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
Did you make it out there?  I drove around Massy today, and saw lots of people fishing.  There were a lot of snowmobiles on the ice too.  I wonder how thick the ice is?

Offline Joe Cuzzie

• Team IceShanty Regular
ill be out there tomorrow and ill let you know

Offline Timmy-time!

• IceShanty Rookie
we went on Friday morning and the ice was thin near the edges. Further out it was around 7-9 inches but only the bottom few inches were solid.

Anyway, we stayed all day and between the 6 of us we only managed around 13 fish.  All pickerel and one small pike.  The weather was nice and the company was great.  We had a blast!  We ate well too...Venison steaks on the grill...thanks Smitty and Chuck for bringing the good eats!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Nice to hear. Happy to see caught some fish!  Hey, and even on those sh**ty days Good company=Good times

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
the shorline ice is basicly gone ..u might want to bring a long board lol

Catch A Buzz

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
you actually got a pike out of there huh...i heard fish and game threw them in years ago but everyone i talk to  has never seen or caught one out of there

Catch A Buzz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.