The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hey South Dakotan's  (Read 9753 times)

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Hey South Dakotan's
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Lets start getting our forum going here. I'm still working on my shack. My pivots broke free on my drop down axle Monday. I am still working on trying to pull them off so I can clean them up and put neverseize on them. 3 day weekend coming up so I hope I can button this thing up. Wish me luck, boxcar

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
Re: Hey South Dakotan's
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2005, 08:32 PM »
I'll be deer hunting all weekend, so that will take my mind of ice for a while. Let us know how your project come outboxcar.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:48 AM »
Done, the other side came off allot easier. Cleaned them up and reassembled them. Both are working great now. Hope I don't half to go through that again. What a pain in the ass.

boxcar

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2005, 07:56 PM »
I'm here!!! Have been for awhile though!  Have most of my hardwater gear ready to go... just waiting for ice!!!!  ;D

Mr.G

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Still in hunting mode here - waiting on deer season this weekend.  After that - its getting the ice stuff ready - then another deer season in december.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:03 PM »
Im hunting also, I want a couple deer and maybe some turkeys. But the weather is gonna get the ice ready it sounds like before too long.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2005, 04:14 PM »
Waiting on Ice here also...Shouldn't be long now.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2005, 05:42 PM »
well how bout that icebox we got ourselves into today???? LOL yikes thats cold, 1 inch on the 80 gallon pond, i wouldnt mind a couple more weekends of pheasants tho......... ;D

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Keep those brass monkeys tucked in boys. Brrrrrr. ;D
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2005, 08:32 PM »
Long term forecast looks like it gets cold after Thanksgiving, but we know how accurate those are.  It's not far away....

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2005, 12:41 AM »
well that didnt last long.......... 2 days ago i was walking on 2 in ice now its all open.................. ...... ;D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:12 AM »
If nothing else the no ice for a bit or weak ice will give some of the area lakes, sloughs, and ponds a bit of release from fishing pressure.  We'll have ice soon enough, however, as most, it's generally not soon enough for me either!!!

Offline majormaj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They just call me Major.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:14 PM »
I agree on keeping the SD forum alive.  It got a little slow last year.  I too am waiting for deer season to end so I can focus my energy on fishing.  Can't wait for xmas vacation.  Anyone out there planning any big fishing trips this winter?  I think we might be able to keep walleyes on Red Lake MN after new years.  That would be a fun trip.  Has anyone heard the details on that yet, I am just going by a rumor I heard. 

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Looking forward to our yearly trip to Webster area. Last year we were on the refuge dec. 16th. Looked as though we were one of the 1st ones on the 4" ice.
Hope you guys are making ice!!  See ya on the ICE.
Toothfish

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2005, 06:02 PM »
Nope you cannot keep walleyes on Red until the season opens in may.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:06 AM »
Looking forward to our yearly trip to Webster area. Last year we were on the refuge dec. 16th. Looked as though we were one of the 1st ones on the 4" ice.
Hope you guys are making ice!!  See ya on the ICE.
Toothfish

I am presuming you were referring to the Waubay refugee?  If so... where abouts were ya?  I've heard it wasn't too bad there last year....

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I am presuming you were referring to the Waubay refugee?  If so... where abouts were ya?  I've heard it wasn't too bad there last year....
Yes Waubay refuge. It was real good.We are thinking of comeing up Dec. 8th. How thick is the ice now? Last year it was 4" Dec 16th.  Cold came alittle earlier this year!!! ;D WE have been going on right at the refuge lodge/ranger station. On at daybreak , off at sun down or they will yell at you!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2005, 04:28 PM »
I'm ready. Was sitting in the new flipover in the driveway today to see if my Little Buddy heater is big enough. Good thing the neighbors are used to the nut next door. As used to me as they are, I would think they would have brought me a beer. Maybe they thought I had one too many. LOL I checked the fishing report from the Sportsmans Cove in Webster today and they said six inches of ice in the bays on Waubay Lake and eight expected by this weekend. That will mean some ATVs on the ice this weekend. If you are one of the brave ones, be careful. Tight lines to all!!
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:40 AM »
With 6" now....there will be trucks on the ice this weekend!!!! :cookoo:

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:42 AM »
Mine won't be one of em. I don't even like to think about a swim at this time of the year. Maybe I'm too cautious, but I won't be changing that.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2005, 12:07 PM »
farmers almanac
8"----2 1/2 ton
10"---3 1/2 ton
12"---8 ton

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:03 PM »
Yes Waubay refuge. It was real good.We are thinking of comeing up Dec. 8th. How thick is the ice now? Last year it was 4" Dec 16th.  Cold came alittle earlier this year!!! ;D WE have been going on right at the refuge lodge/ranger station. On at daybreak , off at sun down or they will yell at you!!! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Ice right now is 5-6" in the refugee area... by the end of the weekend I'll bet it'll be close to 8" or so... next weekend the main basin areas of the lake should have a good 5-8" and the back bays, refugee, etc. will surely be good for sleds, atvs, and small vehicles.  Within 2wks if this cold weather keeps up - the entire lake should have a good 12" I'll bet... plenty good for vehicle traffic - I drive a full-sized Blazer on 12" last year and no probs... just gotta be smart!  I've heard that about the timeframes in the refugee area too... gotta protect some of those fish though!!!  ;)2 :clap: ;)2

I'm ready. Was sitting in the new flipover in the driveway today to see if my Little Buddy heater is big enough. Good thing the neighbors are used to the nut next door. As used to me as they are, I would think they would have brought me a beer. Maybe they thought I had one too many. LOL I checked the fishing report from the Sportsmans Cove in Webster today and they said six inches of ice in the bays on Waubay Lake and eight expected by this weekend. That will mean some ATVs on the ice this weekend. If you are one of the brave ones, be careful. Tight lines to all!!

Yeppers - I heard the same thing... and I'll bet there is ATVs & snowmobiles on there this weekend.  However, a lot of the locals are still running without electricity up there until Monday.... so some locals maybe staying home worrying bout that and not fishing!  IF it were me and I had no power... what else is there to do - I'd be fishing!!!  ;D

Mine won't be one of em. I don't even like to think about a swim at this time of the year. Maybe I'm too cautious, but I won't be changing that.

Not a chance w/ me either.  I wont even THINK about driving until I see 12" of good solid ice... anything less and I'll walk and tow my gear... too many trucks gone through the lake the last few years outta stupidity!  PLEASE be safe on first ice all!

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2005, 01:44 AM »
ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE - trying to help get things going out there on our waterways, which should be iceways!  ;D :o ;D ;D
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:44 PM »
Ice right now is 5-6" in the refugee area... by the end of the weekend I'll bet it'll be close to 8" or so... next weekend the main basin areas of the lake should have a good 5-8" and the back bays, refugee, etc. will surely be good for sleds, atvs, and small vehicles.  Within 2wks if this cold weather keeps up - the entire lake should have a good 12" I'll bet... plenty good for vehicle traffic - I drive a full-sized Blazer on 12" last year and no probs... just gotta be smart!  I've heard that about the timeframes in the refugee area too... gotta protect some of those fish though!!!  ;)2 :clap: ;)2

Yeppers - I heard the same thing... and I'll bet there is ATVs & snowmobiles on there this weekend.  However, a lot of the locals are still running without electricity up there until Monday.... so some locals maybe staying home worrying bout that and not fishing!  IF it were me and I had no power... what else is there to do - I'd be fishing!!!  ;D

Not a chance w/ me either.  I wont even THINK about driving until I see 12" of good solid ice... anything less and I'll walk and tow my gear... too many trucks gone through the lake the last few years outta stupidity!  PLEASE be safe on first ice all!
Also think of what happens when those things go underwater!, Gas, anitfreeze, possibly cause mercury? ;D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2005, 09:09 AM »
Also think of what happens when those things go underwater!, Gas, anitfreeze, possibly cause mercury? ;D

I don't know what all the environmental effects of it are, but I can only imagine that they are NOT good at all.  I believe there are laws or something that if your vehicle goes under, you have a certain amount of time to get it out before you start getting levied some heavy fines... I think anyways....

-WF.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:24 AM »
That's the rumor I've heard- $1000/day... I woiuldn't want that happening near my honey hole! That's for sure. It would make a big hole top fish through... but the gas, oil, antifreeze, and associated other bad for fish fluids would be floating up >:( >:(
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Yeah, it's horrible to think about what a vehicle does to the lake when it goes through the ice... all ya can do is just hope everyone that drives on the ice is smart about it ;).  $1,000 isn't cheap either... although personally I think the fee should be higher per day for the simple reason to encourage people to be smart about it...IMO anyways...

-WF.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Friend of mine put a truck in Leech Lake Minn. Drove to close to a heave (at night)!! Dumb thing but it happened. He called his insurance co.(progressive) and they told him that the ins. co. now owned the truck and they would take full responsibility for all fines and the removal...Wow !! What a relief!!!

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:24 PM »
WOW ... lets just hope the insurance companies stay on top of these kinds of troubles and get it taken care of right away, instead of lagging like they sometimes do when ya file a claim!!  :D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:15 PM »
Just hope it doesn't happen to ya!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.