The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Have ice? Will travel  (Read 891 times)

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
Have ice? Will travel
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:21 AM »
im sure this is a problem every where but there is no good ice here in Nebraska. Looking to take a trip and im wondering if you guys have any good safe ice? Buddy of mine spent almost 2 grand this year to get into the sport and id hate to leave him skunked before even going out his first year. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
Re: Have ice? Will travel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Devils Lake has great ice.  14+ inches where we were fishing last week.  Caught 40+ northerns with 5 over 30", 16 walleye with the largest 23.5" and 6#, and 2 perch in the 3.5 days of fishing my wife and I did.  Wish I could go back again but one 800 mile trip is enough for right now.  If we don't get some more ice in Montana I might have to make the trip again this season.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 01:34 PM »
Thanks for the info. Ive had a four day trip planned here in Nebraska but with the weather we have had i dont think its gonna happen

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2012, 10:34 PM »
I have fished afew different lakes here in north central North Dakota this weekend all with 12+ inches of good clear ice.

Offline BOUTDOORS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I'm from Fargo ND and the ice is good in NE North Dakota including the Devils Lake Basin.  Also the ice is great on Upper Red Lake MN and decent for walking out on all of the Detroit Lakes Area lakes in Minnesota.  The bite seems to be good to excellent in general.  If I was traveling distances like yourself i'd go to Upper Red Lake and rent a sleeper house such as Chads Upper Red Lake Rentals or Ryan Klein's Upper Red Lake Rentals.  The value is fantastic.  Second choice with more generous limits etc. would be Devils Lake through a resort like Woodland.  You can chose to do it yourself, hire a guide or house rentals.  The bite has been best at those two large lakes.  Big fish at each one - Devils lake would be a much easier drive for you from NE.
Rippin' Lips and Taken' big sips.

Offline nd_guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I have fished Stump Lake every weekend for the last month and fished with Nodak on Lake Audubon a couple weeks ago. Stump lake has 12" solid clear ice and Audubon had 10".  Fishing has Been good on  the east end of Stump lake in 25FOW for walleyes and 15FOw for perch.

If your were planning on going to Devils Lake you should consider spending some time on Stump lake(they are connected). If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Offline nodak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:29 PM »
High of -7 and low of -17 in Garrison (Central ND).  I have fished a number of lakes in the area and all had about 12-14 inches of good ice before this cold snap.  There is no snow so with a week of brutal cold, we will grow lots of ice all over the state.
Big pike thru a hole are fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.