Author Topic: Vexilar Cold Snap vs Ice Armour  (Read 12545 times)

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
Vexilar Cold Snap vs Ice Armour
« on: Sep 22, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I'm torn between the two suits.  Everybody loves the blue suit, but on paper, the side by side comparison is very similar.  Yet, the Vex suit is about $60 cheaper.  Is Ice Armour worth the difference in price?  Also, whatare your thoughts on mobility in these suits?

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline Ben Ekrem

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexilar Cold Snap vs Ice Armour
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Hands down the better product is the Ice Armour it has been around much longer

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:05 AM »
I bought a Vex Suit a couple years ago and really like it.  It seems to have all the features I need and the price was better.  I sometimes feel a little funny wearing it as it's got "VEXILAR" embroidered all over it and I use a Showdown and a Zercom flasher.  I still looks cool.  I bought my Son a much cheaper ice fishing suit from the Sportsman's Guide and he likes that as well.  I don't think you need to pay more for the name. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:07 AM »
IMHO if your gonna spend any large amount to be "fashionable dressed for ice fishing  spend it on the arctic armor  and get something that floats!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2011, 10:25 AM »
If you're on a budget, it appears the Sportsmans Guide has their knock-off suits in-stock again.  At $113 for the set you can't go wrong (if you're a club member - pays for itself).  My Son has a pair and loves them.  I think every review I've ever read on them has been positive as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-parka-blue-black.aspx?a=385947
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Ok-so after reading the last post from Gillgrabber, I did some research on the Guide Gear parka and bibs from the Sportsmans Guide.  I read two threads on two different fishing sites and on both, people are saying that this set up is built and has the same features as the IA X suit.  Went through the checkout, (I'm not a member) and paid $129.97 after a checkout discount and a coupon code for free shipping.

It should arrive in 3-7 biz days and I'll report back on it's construction and sizing.  I'm 5'8", 200lbs and ordered the large bibs and XL parka.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Ok-so after reading the last post from Gillgrabber, I did some research on the Guide Gear parka and bibs from the Sportsmans Guide.  I read two threads on two different fishing sites and on both, people are saying that this set up is built and has the same features as the IA X suit.  Went through the checkout, (I'm not a member) and paid $129.97 after a checkout discount and a coupon code for free shipping.

It should arrive in 3-7 biz days and I'll report back on it's construction and sizing.  I'm 5'8", 200lbs and ordered the large bibs and XL parka.

I don't work for Sportsman's Guide or anything.  I just think this suit is a real bargain.  Good luck with your purchase and let us know what you think once you examine it.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2011, 08:47 AM »
If you're on a budget, it appears the Sportsmans Guide has their knock-off suits in-stock again.  At $113 for the set you can't go wrong (if you're a club member - pays for itself).  My Son has a pair and loves them.  I think every review I've ever read on them has been positive as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-ice-parka-blue-black.aspx?a=385947
I went to that site, selected "international orders" and they had EVERY country in the world listed EXCEPT canada for shipping destinations, which was odd given the claim that they ship worldwide, and even had CAD $ as a currency option. ARGH!
Tight lines

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I agree with hazzy.  Go with Artic Armor, or something that floats.  It might be worth a few extra bucks...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2011, 04:06 PM »
I went to that site, selected "international orders" and they had EVERY country in the world listed EXCEPT canada for shipping destinations, which was odd given the claim that they ship worldwide, and even had CAD $ as a currency option. ARGH!

Very strange.  Give them a call.  I can't imagine that wouldn't ship to Canada when the ship to countries in Africa.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2011, 06:23 AM »
It looks like they have a seperate site for you's guys to the North.

canada.sportsmansguide.com

Hopefully this helps you out!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 28, 2011, 07:26 AM »
It looks like they have a seperate site for you's guys to the North.

canada.sportsmansguide.com

Hopefully this helps you out!
thanks...but none of thier canadian links work.  you'd think with all the fishing going on up here, there'd be more places to get decent gear...but there really isn't.  My best option is Canadian Tire which is like a walmart with a garage in it....argh  >:(
Tight lines

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:46 AM »
thanks...but none of thier canadian links work.  you'd think with all the fishing going on up here, there'd be more places to get decent gear...but there really isn't.  My best option is Canadian Tire which is like a walmart with a garage in it....argh  >:(
This is from Red Rock Wilderness Store and they sell Arctic Armor and Ice Armor.

If we get your order before 10AM we may get it out the same day. If we can do it, we will. We ship with Speedee Delivery (Midwestern states), US Postal Service (smaller items all over if it's going to work out) and UPS Ground (the rest of the US and sometimes the Midwest). We ship US Postal Service to most of Canada whenever possible and DO use UPS Ground if the item has to get there quicker. UPS Ground will hose you with brokerage fees. Because the US Postal Service operates at a $7 Billion dollar yearly loss, they take things to Canada for less money - shock!.

Sometimes, because of the end shipping destination, we need to make changes in how we ship an item. Sometimes, we need to charge more for shipping of things that are hard to get to you. This applies to heavy bulky things, big light boxes, little heavy boxes, Canadian and European shipments and items going to Alaska. Even shipping a pair of socks to Alaska can be expensive. Since we do not have a crack team of shippers who can run the numbers on every possible permutation of shipping combination/cost possibilities, we can't tell you the final ship price on some of these order combinations to various distant locations until we box it up, weigh it, and run the numbers. If you buy a $29.95 boat anchor that weighs 20 pounds and need it shipped to Alaska, it is going to cost FAR more than the $5.95 listed shipping price below. If you need an item that weighs more than a pound expedited to a faraway place, expect that the shipping will be very costly. This is neither difficult nor unacceptable to understand. This should be common sense. If you have a question about shipping costs, email us here.

It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 28, 2011, 10:55 AM »
So NOW we know how to fix the USPS money problems....just stop going to Canada... Blame Canada!@   ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28, 2011, 11:55 AM »
So NOW we know how to fix the USPS money problems....just stop going to Canada... Blame Canada!@   ;D
I would like to move to Canada and take advantage of that cheap shipping. I think USPS is fairly slow up there, but I don't think they have the problems with customs that others do. Don't know for sure though. Shipping must be quite a problem in some of the more remote destinations.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #15 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I was looking for some ice anchors and came across the site below.  I wasn't sure if it was legit as the site doesn't seem very sophisticated, but I found a phone number for them and called.  Turns out it is a legitimate company here in Minneapolis.  Check out the jacket they have listed.  Seems like a good price to me.  I have the Vexilar suit myself and love it, but if I were going to replace it, I'd at least take a look at this one for $100.  Lots of safety features in this including floatation.  I personally just throw a life jacket on under my suit, but this looks like a decent option too:

http://www.foryourshore.com/index.cfm?carttoken=5E90Y37092511074606&action=ViewDetails&ItemID=174&Category=37
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 28, 2011, 12:29 PM »
I was looking for some ice anchors and came across the site below.  I wasn't sure if it was legit as the site doesn't seem very sophisticated, but I found a phone number for them and called.  Turns out it is a legitimate company here in Minneapolis.  Check out the jacket they have listed.  Seems like a good price to me.  I have the Vexilar suit myself and love it, but if I were going to replace it, I'd at least take a look at this one for $100.  Lots of safety features in this including floatation.  I personally just throw a life jacket on under my suit, but this looks like a decent option too:

http://www.foryourshore.com/index.cfm?carttoken=5E90Y37092511074606&action=ViewDetails&ItemID=174&Category=37

If I'm not mistaken that is Strikemasters Early Late Ice (ELI) Jacket. Its floats but its not insulated...

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 28, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Order update: I looked online at sportsman's guide to see if my Guide gear parka and bibs shipped.  I noticed that it hadn't and that the price was different... For the better.

I called customer service and spoke to a very nice lady who confirmed that it was loaded onto the UPS truck moments ago... So it's on it's way.

I asked about the price difference from when I placed the order the other night till now.  They gave me another discount! Yay! And I'm not even a member.  I thought I was getting the 2 pieces for $129.99 which I thought was a good price, now I'm only being charged $99.99 for the items combined.

I don't know if this was an error or glitch, but I'm pretty happy right now.

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 05, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Received the Giide Gear parka and bibs yesterday.  It's got a nice fleece liner in the jacket, hand warmer pockets and cargo pockets on the outside.  Inside the jacket are two LARGE mesh pockets, one on wither side.  These have velco openings.  A couple of other small chest pockets on both sides inside.

The bibs have some pretty decent stitching from what I can gather.  The butt is double reinforced and pads atbthe knees.  The zippers and plastic belt clip are heavy duty so I don't think I'll ever worry there.

So far so good, but I won't truly realize the value until it is field tested.  'til then...

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2011, 02:35 PM »
Imajigginfool ---- so how do they fit you .  You are a tall guy right? 

us tall guys want to know

( i'm 6ft 180lbs)
Sportsman

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2011, 02:59 PM »
The Sportsman Guide ice parka and bibs are the same as the original StrikeMaster and Vexilar ice suits. Purchased a Guide Gear ice parka 11/11, and compared it to my 2007 Vexilar parka there identical.

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:35 PM »
I've been using the Sportsmens Guide knock offs for 3 years now. They work fantastic, warm, windprrof, waterproof. Re-water proofed the bibs after washing (as with all breathable garments).

I may get a set of name brand bibs this season as my boney back side would like the padded seat  option.

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »
We have some huge crappies here ... but that picture of you holding that black crappie is supernatural!   That is truely an amazing sized fish.   I hope you display that picture proudly at home and thanks for blowing my mind and my scale.

Sportsman44
Sportsman

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:32 PM »
I have the guide gear suit also....I love it!! no problems at all..nice and warm too

Offline Sportsman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:36 PM »
I have to ask you the weight of that black crappie and the length if you have it !
(Image removed from quote.)
Sportsman

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:35 AM »
I think that picture derailed this thread!  That's a whomper crappie!  I too would like to know if you weighed it  :clap:
Tight lines

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2011, 06:46 PM »
I think that picture derailed this thread!  That's a whomper crappie!  I too would like to know if you weighed it
X2!!!

LOL That fish just ATE this thread!!! Nice fish!  ;D

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Sorry guys, it went back in the lake , no weight. Didn't need a fish of that size to take the tourney here last season so lesser ones were entered  ;D. It was probably in the high 3lb range as that is what comparable fish from the same area weighed.

Sorry to derail the thread, I won't let it happen again ::).

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:24 PM »
I went to Korkys and I checked out the Vexilar, Ice Armor, Arctic Armor and Striker Ice. I bought the Striker Ice because the others don't even compare in quality and features. Read the reviews and check out the online videos. I was told that the floater suits are running short on supply.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2011, 12:42 PM »
I received my Guide Gear Parka yesterday. I gotta say that I love it! It runs a little big but not grotesquely so! I'm 6'1" and 216lb. and I got the 2XL. I figured that with a pair of duofold compression, a hoodie and a fleece pullover I should be good and it turned out right. The construction in my opinion is really good and the price is great. Now I'm waiting on the 2XL Vexilar Bibs. I am concerned over the 32" inch inseam but my Cabelas Guide Wear rain suit has the same and there is room to spare. The only reason I ordered the Vex bibs was for the inseam and so that I broke up some of the "Red". Also, the knees are advertised as waterproof and that is a must. Now if I can just get some kickback benifits for being a walking billboard..... ;)
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.