Author Topic: argyle, spring lake Macomb.  (Read 1796 times)

Offline bassman417

• IceShanty Rookie
argyle, spring lake Macomb.
« on: Jan 01, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Anybody ever fish either of these? I dont know if I was informed correctly but I thought I had heard something about spring lake closes to fishing in the winter. I dont see why it would but IDK.     Also anybody have any experience with Lake Storey in Galesburg?

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
Re: argyle, spring lake Macomb.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:02 PM »
I am pretty sure that you can fish both through the ice..  But I will call my buddy down there and find out for sure.  I know I have heard of people iceing argyle for sure when the winter is really on....  But that lake is quite deep and the minimal winter weather might make it dangerous..  Whatever you do always use caution!

cris

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:46 AM »
I haven't fished Lake Storey, but I've heard that guys have had good luck catching crappies there. Plus, it's a fairly good catfish lake in the summer.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline bassman417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Was gonna hit Lake storey this weekend but heard it was open in the middle again with alot of geese on it. Theres also still water flowing into the lake thru the culverts under the road. There were some guys out but they said theres about 4'' of ice, not good enuf for me. Havent been south to argyle or spring though, Im just stickin with farm ponds til some cold weather freezes things up some more.

Offline KDXClark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I grew up in the area.  Ice fishing is awesome at Argyle.  I don't know anyone who fishes through the ice at Springlake- because of the springs and the city pulling its water supply there. 

I only got back to fish Argyle once last year, but it is good for sunfish, crappie, cats, the occasional walleye and stocked trout.  The trout are a blast.  One time a tiger muskie followed a hooked bluegill up so I suppose you could chase those too.

Argyle takes longer to freeze than the smaller waters but stays frozen better/ longer because it is deep and really doesn't flow. 

Offline KDXClark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Forgot to say, if you get out on argyle, I'd like an ice report.  It is quite a drive but I wouldn't mind making the haul this year too.

Offline bassman417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2009, 11:02 PM »
havent made it to argyle but have been hitting lake storey. as for the report on storey theres about 10'' of ice and the bite the other day was insane. we landed probably 200 or so pretty decent slab crappie. with the fishing that good I havent been able to bring myself to trying anywhere else. Im heading back there in the morning before daylight and prolly fishing til after dark. Gotta get em while the gettins good.   BTW Lake storey has a huge amount of 9 1/2 to 10'' crappie in it, I know there not wall hangers but a good mess makes for a fine meal of fillets, and with no limit on how many crappie you can take its pretty easy to get a good meal or two for the family. 

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 12:52 AM »
Might have to get out of my pj's and head over..... ::)
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline bassman417

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:47 AM »
Got on em again yesterday. Caught 200 to 250 crappie on Storey. About 10 to 11'' ice. Dont wanna give away my spot but if somebody wanted to find some fish try the west end of the lake in about 28 to 35 fow. The fish are holding close to the bottom with the occasional suspended one or two. The bites been light so you hafta raise em aways to get em to hit it good. We were pickin up fish only a half foot off bottom and some we had to raise 5 or 6 or even 8 or 10 feet before theyd really whack it. Its a pain to raise em that high without reeling (reeling will make line twist and cause lure to spin and fish dive back to bottom) but its worth it. No huge fish mostly 8 or 9'' with some 10 1/2s mixed in.  Deffinately a spot worth hitting. If anyone makes it out dont be scared to take half a bucket of slabs home, that lake needs it to help out the quality. The fish are thick now but with as many as are in there it wont be long and theyll be on the decline and be stunted for sure.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:53 PM »
what's Lake Storey's ice thickness now, (2/1/09)?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.