The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review  (Read 161272 times)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review
« Reply #660 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:38 AM »
makita and Hilti. Neither have speed options

I'm not going to look but I'll bet you they do.. All modern drills do... Some have 3...

<°)))>{

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #661 on: Dec 30, 2016, 06:45 AM »
I believe the hilti does and with that first gear and the clam gear reduction I think 8" is now going to be is as easy as the 6".i prefer a 8" hole to fish out of and drill allot most days .but do like the pros of the drill setup.might be time to pull the trigger      ;D

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #662 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:38 PM »

So I thought I'd give a quick review on my new drill on the Clam Drill Plate. 2 years ago I bought the plate and had the cheap $99 Dewalt 20v drill on it. It worked okish. Then last year I picked up a 20v brushless XT set by Dewalt. Figuring that the new drill would be much better. Freaking sucks. Now I'm in a pickle because I don't need a hammer drill and I can buy an OK gas auger for the same price as one. Well I work at Lowe's and got a smoking deal on a display Koblat 24v drill. It has 650lbs of torque and thought heck I'd give it a try. HOLY FREAKING WAH does this thing cut through the ice! I drilled around 60 holes (I like moving around a lot) and it used one bar of life on the 4amp hr battery that I bought. It didn't even slow down when it started cutting. Taking the chuck off was super easy. For $150 (normal price) this thing is (in my opinion) the best deal you can get for the plate. Plus it matches my 6" Mora auger and the plate  ;D.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #663 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

So I thought I'd give a quick review on my new drill on the Clam Drill Plate. 2 years ago I bought the plate and had the cheap $99 Dewalt 20v drill on it. It worked okish. Then last year I picked up a 20v brushless XT set by Dewalt. Figuring that the new drill would be much better. Freaking sucks. Now I'm in a pickle because I don't need a hammer drill and I can buy an OK gas auger for the same price as one. Well I work at Lowe's and got a smoking deal on a display 24v drill. It has 650lbs of torque and thought heck I'd give it a try. HOLY FREAKING WAH does this thing cut through the ice! I drilled around 60 holes (I like moving around a lot) and it used one bar of life on the 4amp hr battery that I bought. It didn't even slow down when it started cutting. Taking the chuck off was super easy. For $150 (normal price) this thing is (in my opinion) the best deal you can get for the plate. Plus it matches my 6" Mora auger and the plate  ;D.
.           Seemed you should have learned from your first dewalt, but that's why they sell all kinds. Should have bought the Milwaukee then your problems would have been over!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #664 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:49 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

So I thought I'd give a quick review on my new drill on the Clam Drill Plate. 2 years ago I bought the plate and had the cheap $99 Dewalt 20v drill on it. It worked okish. Then last year I picked up a 20v brushless XT set by Dewalt. Figuring that the new drill would be much better. Freaking sucks. Now I'm in a pickle because I don't need a hammer drill and I can buy an OK gas auger for the same price as one. Well I work at Lowe's and got a smoking deal on a display Koblat 24v drill. It has 650lbs of torque and thought heck I'd give it a try. HOLY FREAKING WAH does this thing cut through the ice! I drilled around 60 holes (I like moving around a lot) and it used one bar of life on the 4amp hr battery that I bought. It didn't even slow down when it started cutting. Taking the chuck off was super easy. For $150 (normal price) this thing is (in my opinion) the best deal you can get for the plate. Plus it matches my 6" Mora auger and the plate  ;D.

You pretty much said it in a nut shell here. Buy a good quality drill that can handle an auger. I can't say enough good about drill setups.

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #665 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:19 PM »
Looking into getting a clam plate I have a dewalt DCD790 and will be putting a 6" lazer on it will this drill work or is it under powered. I have the 4ah battery for it also.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #666 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Get a drill with 750in/lbs minimum, will they all work? Yes, how good u want it to work that's why should search the subject. I don't think that drill has the 750 mentioned I could be wrong though.

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #667 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Dewalt doesn't say what in/lbs that drill has so not sure what it has.  Was hopeing someone has used that drill and would let me know how it worked.

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #668 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:26 PM »
Looking into getting a clam plate I have a dewalt DCD790 and will be putting a 6" lazer on it will this drill work or is it under powered. I have the 4ah battery for it also.

That is the other Dewalt that I bought. It didn't work very well at all. Kept shutting off after just a few turns. Using it as a drill it was great but with my 6" mora noway.

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #669 on: Jan 01, 2017, 09:33 PM »
That is the other Dewalt that I bought. It didn't work very well at all. Kept shutting off after just a few turns. Using it as a drill it was great but with my 6" mora noway.

Thanks not what I wanted to hear but saved me some cash.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #670 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:34 AM »

My first drill was a Dewalt 771 ...that did not last long ...I suggest since you have the batteries and charger get a bare tool in the 900 series ...I have a refurbished 995 hammer drill on a gen 2(chuck removal) plate

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/dewalt-dcd995br-20v-max-xr-cordless-brushless-drill-reconditioned-bare-tool

they look to be out of stock ...subscribe to their Email ...got mine with a $25 off coupon w/free shipping

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=20+v+max+bare+tool
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Maizen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • live in Canton Mich grew up on clarklake
« Reply #671 on: Jan 02, 2017, 11:57 AM »
I bought a clam plate and gear reducer and a Milwaukee fuel 18  with 3 5 amp hour batteries  this season. I am using my 8 inch nils on it ,and it works great !

Offline Pentabogey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #672 on: Jan 02, 2017, 08:05 PM »
fuel/ 5amph battery, clam plate, 8" mora . 15 holes through 9" ice used one bar on battery. very happy, no buyers remorse at all. ;D

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #673 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:20 PM »
I bought a clam plate and gear reducer and a Milwaukee fuel 18  with 3 5 amp hour batteries  this season. I am using my 8 inch nils on it ,and it works great !

Any more info on this gear reduction?!   I hear alot have issues. How is the speed?   How much does the complete auger weight?

This is something I might be purchasing next year if they hold up.

Thanks

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #674 on: Jan 02, 2017, 09:28 PM »
I tried something today with my milwaukee fuel 2 clam plate and 7in lazer.

I normally use 5.0 batteries and never had an issues and whIle I dont usually drill alot of holes the battery always said full.

Today I tried a 2.0 compact battery and I couldn't finish 1 hole without it stalling.  (8 in of ice.)

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #675 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:00 AM »
A smaller drill might work well with the clam plate and the optional gear box.. It doubles the torque with a 2 to 1 ratio..

<°)))>{

I would like to reduce the gearing on my drill with the clam box. Do I have to use the clam plate?
Also what do I need to attach the box to my Nils.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #676 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:29 AM »
I would like to reduce the gearing on my drill with the clam box. Do I have to use the clam plate?
Also what do I need to attach the box to my Nils.

You'll need the plate, gear box, and an adapter..

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #677 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:14 AM »
I tried something today with my milwaukee fuel 2 clam plate and 7in lazer.

I normally use 5.0 batteries and never had an issues and whIle I dont usually drill alot of holes the battery always said full.

Today I tried a 2.0 compact battery and I couldn't finish 1 hole without it stalling.  (8 in of ice.)
that's the missing information right there. i've said the battery has been key for amps to the motor and not just how long it will run on said battery.

they don't tell us what amp size the motor is.

you can have too big of a battery and not harm the motor because it uses what it wants from the battery and that changes as the load changes. so the 2amp self protect kicked in on that battery to safe it's self.

thanks for reporting your experiment! i did the same with a 2amp 12volt ridgid drill. i knew it was a joke, but i wanted to see what it would do being under warranty and nothing to loose. it had the same result with a 6" lazer.

Offline Caseman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #678 on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:42 AM »
I knew it made a difference I just didn't realize how much.

I also have a 12v milwaukee fuel hammer drill with the 4.0 battery I should try it with my 5in lazer.  That would be a really light setup. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #679 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I just bought the Milwaukee Fuel 18v Hammer Drill with 5.0 batteries. As soon as I get it I plan to really test it out! See how many holes I can get out of one battery. I'll take it to our private lake down in the shallow end where nobody fishes and just drill hole after hole.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #680 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:12 AM »
what for buddy? Just take it fishing and drill everyones holes before Chez beats ya too it  ;D

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #681 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:15 AM »
I just bought the Milwaukee Fuel 18v Hammer Drill with 5.0 batteries. As soon as I get it I plan to really test it out! See how many holes I can get out of one battery. I'll take it to our private lake down in the shallow end where nobody fishes and just drill hole after hole.

think it'll be a looooong day for you ...looking forward to your research results.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #682 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Well, I should have said.................. ................I will be using an 8" auger. So will be interesting to see how many holes I get.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #683 on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:52 AM »
what for buddy? Just take it fishing and drill everyones holes before Chez beats ya too it  ;D

LOL! I don't know if I can................... ...................... ......you know how Chez is with a power auger!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline jessb_55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #684 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:09 PM »
So I've been following this thread as I started a similar one about a month ago and was finally able to read through all 35 pages and now have some questions of my own.

After buying a Clam Conversion Kit with drill off a guy on CL about 2 weeks ago and was able to make it out once last week to give it a try. Overall it worked pretty well but often times seemed like it just stopped "shaving the ice" where the drill would keep turning but I wasn't making any process, then 90% of the time when I'd get to close to breaking through it would struggle. I was on about 6 inches of ice. The kit comes with a 6 inch Clam auger bit.

I read through all 34 pages of this topic and noticed that there were about 3 users who stated they used the same Dewalt drill I'm using, and a couple of them even said they burnt the drill up. Therefore, I'm thinking maybe the drill that came with it is a little too low on the torque? Dewalt no longer gives torque ratings instead gives a rating of UWO of 300 which from what I read is very hard to give a true comparison of torque as it's not apples to apples.

So questions are:
1) Am I possibly correct with my hunch that this drill may not be good enough for this?
2) If I do need to get a new drill I've read something about the 2nd/new generations of the Milwaukee's coming with a wrong size chuck? Is that true, and if that's the case what does a person have to do to get it to work?
3) From what a read I shouldn't have to apply any downward pressure on the plate when drilling, is that correct?
4) I also notices several references of people having a terrible time getting the chucks off their drills and that the first versions of the plate you had to remove your drill's chuck. My believe my plate is from 2015 and believe mine is the version that doesn't need the chuck removed as far as I can tell (don't judge if that's a dumb question:))
5) If getting a new drill, how critical is it that the new drill is either 1) brushless and/or 2) a hammer drill?
6) To save Money should I keep the drill and it's one 4 amp hour battery and one 3 amp hour battery and get a higher torque Dewalt bare tool? If so does anyone recommend a certain Dewalt drill?

TIA

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #685 on: Jan 03, 2017, 09:05 PM »
OK ...lets determine what drill you have ... Can you post a picture of your set up...any numbers on the drill. What Voltage.

If you already have the Dewalt  batteries ...Dewalt charger ...then a refurbished Dewalt could be your answer .

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #686 on: Jan 04, 2017, 05:56 AM »
I'd check the blades first. It's used, the guy could have messed them up trying to sharpen them. Or they could be loose or nicked or on upside down or something. If it's turning and not cutting, it probably isn't the auger or drill.

Is your drill a lithium or NiCd? If it is NiCd, the batteries could be affected by the cold a lot more. Lithium stands up to cold better.

Also, uwo is different than torque as you've noted. Torque is a measurement for a unit of power, like how much muscle a thing has lift something. UWO is a measurement for energy, basically, how much energy it uses to make the muscle lift something. like comparing torque to horsepower.

Brushless is a good thing cuz the work we are putting the drill through eats up brushes. Hammer drills are nice cuz the better ones are built a bit tougher to withstand the hammering and have a slight edge on torque from what I've read.

I couldn't get the chuck off my drill and I had one of the original plates. I made a simple adapter so I didn't have to remove it.

I add a little downward pressure, but not much or it will stall my 525 in/lb ridgid drill. But I use an HT auger and some other augers might be a better choice. I was fishing with a guy the other day and he was using a drill with a Nills and said he didn't have to add any weight at all, it just sucked into the ice.

Offline jessb_55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #687 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:03 AM »
OK ...lets determine what drill you have ... Can you post a picture of your set up...any numbers on the drill. What Voltage.

If you already have the Dewalt  batteries ...Dewalt charger ...then a refurbished Dewalt could be your answer .

ugh my apologies I thought I had included that important detail.... ;) It's a Dewalt DCD771 and 20v XR Lithium Ion batteries.

I'd check the blades first. It's used, the guy could have messed them up trying to sharpen them. Or they could be loose or nicked or on upside down or something. If it's turning and not cutting, it probably isn't the auger or drill.

Is your drill a lithium or NiCd? If it is NiCd, the batteries could be affected by the cold a lot more. Lithium stands up to cold better.

Also, uwo is different than torque as you've noted. Torque is a measurement for a unit of power, like how much muscle a thing has lift something. UWO is a measurement for energy, basically, how much energy it uses to make the muscle lift something. like comparing torque to horsepower.

Brushless is a good thing cuz the work we are putting the drill through eats up brushes. Hammer drills are nice cuz the better ones are built a bit tougher to withstand the hammering and have a slight edge on torque from what I've read.

I couldn't get the chuck off my drill and I had one of the original plates. I made a simple adapter so I didn't have to remove it.

I add a little downward pressure, but not much or it will stall my 525 in/lb ridgid drill. But I use an HT auger and some other augers might be a better choice. I was fishing with a guy the other day and he was using a drill with a Nills and said he didn't have to add any weight at all, it just sucked into the ice.

As far as the blades them seem to look good but can a person really tell visually? How often does a person need to sharpen the blades? And if they were on upside down I'm assuming I wouldn't have been able to even a drill hole successfully right? And as far as it only shaving and not going down the couple times it did that wouldn't it do that more often then not?

I would add a pic but for some reason this site won't give me the option to actually browse for any files.... :(

Thanks everyone

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #688 on: Jan 04, 2017, 08:30 AM »
4 th year on my blades, still like the day I bought them. Guard on till get in ice and put in before leaving ice, dont loan to anyone and don't bang on ice to get ice/snow off!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.