The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: transportation on the ice.  (Read 2836 times)

Offline HERM THE WORM

• IceShanty Rookie
transportation on the ice.
« on: Sep 09, 2006, 12:22 AM »
Due to a near mishap on great east 2years ago I've sworn off driving on ice,last winter i was able to use my atv, as we had basically no snow but if the snow gets to deep, i'll be at a loss,i've seen pictures of 6x6 amp.vechiles and thought that would be the bees knees- but know nothing about them or their capabilities or maintains requirements(i'm basically a gas and go type)would I be able to travel a beaver brook-over alders,open h20 around dams to get to a remote pond or would I be better off w\a sled-lets face it there were probably about 4 good days for snowmobiling in southern Maine last winter,any input from you vets of the frozen campains would be helpful , thanks-htw

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: transportation on the ice.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2006, 04:02 AM »
well i dont know what your budget is but the bees knees is right here...www.yoopercrawler.com

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:01 AM »
well i dont know what your budget is but the bees knees is right here...www.yoopercrawler.com
now thats what i need ,man that is sweet. i notice that there's no price... that usually means it's a lot of money :o

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:03 AM »
Due to a near mishap on great east 2years ago I've sworn off driving on ice,last winter i was able to use my atv, as we had basically no snow but if the snow gets to deep, i'll be at a loss,i've seen pictures of 6x6 amp.vechiles and thought that would be the bees knees- but know nothing about them or their capabilities or maintains requirements(i'm basically a gas and go type)would I be able to travel a beaver brook-over alders,open h20 around dams to get to a remote pond or would I be better off w\a sled-lets face it there were probably about 4 good days for snowmobiling in southern Maine last winter,any input from you vets of the frozen campains would be helpful , thanks-htw
there's a place in ellsworth that sells them  on rt1 across from the Christen ridge rd. not sure what it's called maybe someone can help with some contact info :tipup:

crowkiller

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:18 AM »
i have never heard of or seen anything like that before

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:20 AM »
now thats what i need ,man that is sweet. i notice that there's no price... that usually means it's a lot of money :o

i saw them on ebay... i think they start around $8,000

crowkiller

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:28 AM »
i saw them on ebay... i think they start around $8,000
ya but can you take them over any sweet jumps ??   or are they to slow    ;D

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:29 AM »
thats not bad considering a top of the line sled can be over $10000! never have to worry about the slush again. weather either. i wonder how the maintenence is tho? must be hard on fuel too. awesome idea!

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:49 AM »
i have never heard of or seen anything like that before
look here  http://www.crayford.co.uk/01argo.htm

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2006, 06:06 PM »
Snow sleds work for me (with studded tracks of course).  And when I'm lazy, my old 4Runner worked
great!  Got rid of the 4Runner this spring and replaced it with a Ford Ranger which should work even
better!

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2006, 07:22 PM »
If your four wheeler is 4 wheel drive, then you shouldn't have too much trouble on the lakes. I think one of those 6x6 rigs would get hung up - the belly was pretty low on the ones I've seen. You should be able to find a sled in Uncle Henrys for ice fishing. I have a 89 Ski-doo Safari 377 which is still going strong. It's fairly light, but still has enough power to go. I would like to get some thing bigger some day though.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2006, 07:40 PM »
I use my feet, or my truck. I want a wheeler, but I don't want to cough up the $. ;D

I was in the office of the Honda dealer, the papers were all written up for a new Rubicon 500. I was reluctant to spend all that money in the first place, but when I asked for a hat with the deal, the salesman told me they were available in the parts and accessory dept for $19. I suppose he thought he had the deal all sewn up, he was wrong.
The best part was he had already had the people in the yard pull one for me. He couldn't understand why it went from " I want a black one, my truck is out front", to "sorry for waisting your time, I think I will keep shopping". The stupid jerk even chased me to the door with his business card "in case I reconsider".  ::)

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2006, 09:18 PM »
i checked out the Argo amphibious atv. they would be perfect for ice fishing, you can even use it in open water it floats so if it went through it would stay up! They have a track that goes around the tires so really deep snow is no problem. Only problem with them is the high price$!! I have seen a few on Winnipesaukee and they are nice.There is a dealer in maine @ www.6wheeler.com

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2006, 05:52 PM »
the trouble ive seen in northern maine a that dambed slush ice.
 hard on any machine. no 1 vehicle is perfect the whole season.
 how does a 4/4 wheeler do with slush ice?

Offline donmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region, NH
« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2006, 07:21 AM »
the trouble ive seen in northern maine a that dambed slush ice.
 hard on any machine. no 1 vehicle is perfect the whole season.
 how does a 4/4 wheeler do with slush ice?

I have a bombardier outlander 330 4x4 atv and it does fine in slush or a foot of typical snow.

I have sleds as well and haven't used the sleds for ice fishing since getting the atv a few years ago.

If I had to choose one it would definitely be the atv.

hali-man

« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2006, 07:32 AM »
I was in the office of the Honda dealer, the papers were all written up for a new Rubicon 500. I was reluctant to spend all that money in the first place, but when I asked for a hat with the deal, the salesman told me they were available in the parts and accessory dept for $19. I suppose he thought he had the deal all sewn up, he was wrong.
LMAO! What an arse!  >:(

I'm a hiker on the ice.
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a machine out on most of the lakes around here.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2006, 12:10 PM »
I still do the manual drag as well...however, I've got a nice old KZ-1000 police special I'm considering trading for a used 4 wheeler.....those mile long walks are getting longer every year.....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2006, 06:09 PM »

I'm a hiker on the ice.
I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a machine out on most of the lakes around here.

Thats why I want a wheeler, some of the lakes around here (like Mille Lacs), you can drive your pickup on the ice with zero worries. Others are spring fed or part of river systems, considered safe by most, but I still get nervous.

Offline mainefishaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 11, 2006, 08:10 PM »
i got a wheeler last year... 2000 artic-cat 500 4x4... love it, lots of power. i cait wait to use it on the ice... got a great deal on it also. all of you who want a 4 wheeler, its great for all seasons and work around the house and of course. ice fishing.

Offline HERM THE WORM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies I think i,ll continue to use my atv for for ponds I can drive to until the snow gets to deep, but will start saving \looking for a late model maxx2 to acess remote beaver ponds-better get one w/ a winch though ,thanks again.HTW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.