The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice shanty or gas powered auger any oppinions?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice shanty or gas powered auger any oppinions?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:59 PM »
you didnt waste time with your post i read it.  Everyone does it different. what works for me may not for you, i was just telling you how i did it here.  Basically the same as you, i just drill all my holes first then go from one to the other with my finder, rather than carry both at the same time, drill a hole, keep the auger running, etc.  We just throw our auger in our sled, its just a heavy plastic tall sided sled, never had a problem with gas/oil leakage. usually there is enough gear that it keeps the auger propped up so it doesn't leak. We used to have a flip-over ice house and we would always put the auger in there and had no problems with leaks, so i suppose it just comes down to how you pack it all in there, and what you have to work with.
I guess my point is i would by the auger first because we use ours far more than we use our ice shelter.  I think a little extra weight in the sled and being tired after pulling it out on the ice for a few minutes is better than being tired every time i decide to move to a new place.
Also i agree with you to research the lake you fish it will almost always yield better results, we usually print off a topo map or somethin similar when we go to a new lake.  That is only half the battle though. You still have to find a hot hole once your in your spot, and you can only do that by drilling plenty of holes in my opinion. sometimes you luck out and the first hole you drill is the right one other times its the 20th. :)

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:13 PM »
100 holes...what a waste.  Bring a ketchup bottle with water and get the surface of the ice wet and put your transducer on the ice and you don't even have to drill to see if there are fish down there, it will shoot right through the ice...  Don't waste your time drilling like crazy if you are just looking for depths or fish.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:50 PM »
100 holes...what a waste.  Bring a ketchup bottle with water and get the surface of the ice wet and put your transducer on the ice and you don't even have to drill to see if there are fish down there, it will shoot right through the ice...  Don't waste your time drilling like crazy if you are just looking for depths or fish.

Which has what in terms of positive information regarding the initial post regarding a choice between a shanty and a power auger?

If I wanted to argue about things not pertinant to the discussion at hand, I would go downstairs and talk to my wif..... ;D ;) ;D

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:16 PM »
you didnt waste time with your post i read it.  Everyone does it different. what works for me may not for you, i was just telling you how i did it here.  Basically the same as you, i just drill all my holes first then go from one to the other with my finder, rather than carry both at the same time, drill a hole, keep the auger running, etc.  We just throw our auger in our sled, its just a heavy plastic tall sided sled, never had a problem with gas/oil leakage. usually there is enough gear that it keeps the auger propped up so it doesn't leak. We used to have a flip-over ice house and we would always put the auger in there and had no problems with leaks, so i suppose it just comes down to how you pack it all in there, and what you have to work with.
I guess my point is i would by the auger first because we use ours far more than we use our ice shelter.  I think a little extra weight in the sled and being tired after pulling it out on the ice for a few minutes is better than being tired every time i decide to move to a new place.
Also i agree with you to research the lake you fish it will almost always yield better results, we usually print off a topo map or somethin similar when we go to a new lake.  That is only half the battle though. You still have to find a hot hole once your in your spot, and you can only do that by drilling plenty of holes in my opinion. sometimes you luck out and the first hole you drill is the right one other times its the 20th. :)

Im not always the best with patience, so I appreciate your answer. 

Good fishing!!

Offline becauseican

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:46 AM »
I would buy the Shanty first because there is nothing better than watching the big trouts come up to your setup and hit it. One can see the hook so much better inside a Shanty. Just drill the holes by hand for now and enjoy watching those big lunker nail your hook.  :)

Offline pioneer MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:31 AM »
My vote is for auger. I too drill many many holes in search of fish. Even on Beaver creek last weekend the kids and i drilled three sets of six holes before we got into the crazy action. I like to move a lot and maybe have a little add so usually the shanty stays in the sled and I keep moving until I am in fish. Just close the fuel vent and bungie the auger so the fill cap is on the top and you shouldn't have any problem with fuel leaking onto your gear.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:31 PM »
i went with the shanty..have had one for approximately 4-5 years now and still wanting the power auger.but my wife would rather sit in a nice warm shack and watch me drill holes than otherewise :) plus when you fish all night or on really nasty days ill take the shanty to an auger all day long.

Offline snakeyes_981984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:42 PM »
That was my point, make sure you have a flasher first.  I guess I spent too much time and energy explaining myself.  I do drill more holes than two, just to find fish and I am happy to drill more if need be.  My point is do your research and know the lake a little bit.  I did put in my post that we rarely set the shack up right away, which is why I asked about where you keep an auger.  I understand the sled is for hauling things, that's why I bought it.  However, you have to open up your cover and dig to get it out, or lay it across the top and get gas and oil all over it.  I couldn't see where you were from upland, that's why I was being respectful about it.  I don't fish montana, never have...  things are probably different there than the puddles we fish around here.  And....  I love trout, stocked or not.  I guess I'm not as cool as someone who catches a real live trout. 
Not true about the not as cool thing man trout is just another fish all that matters is that you fish and enjoy it. the whole gas and oil leakage i have an eskimo ice auger and have never had a problem with fuel leaking just keep the gas lid faceing up and it won't be a problem. and the package idea is a very good one because then you get it all. just hope this helps.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Went sunday and had the option of either augers, used the hand auger. When it got dark we were darn glad to have the warm shanty!!!  Drilled two holes for ice thickness on the way out to a spot we had never fished before, (but marked on our lake map as a good drop off) and drilled two holes for our shack.  Caught a bucketload of bluegills and several nice crappie.  This trip my vote would have been for a shanty, but the ice was only 7 inches thick. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:25 PM »
100 holes...what a waste.  Bring a ketchup bottle with water and get the surface of the ice wet and put your transducer on the ice and you don't even have to drill to see if there are fish down there, it will shoot right through the ice...  Don't waste your time drilling like crazy if you are just looking for depths or fish.
The ketchup bottle trick works great if you have clear ice.  If it is slushy or has snow in it, you have to drill.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #40 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Auger...If you get cold, drill more holes.  You still get warmed up operating a power auger, if you are drilling enough holes.

Find a buddy with a shelter and no power auger, and problem solved. ::)
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:08 PM »
i have neither...but id rather have the auger, specially when youve got 16-20 inches of good clear ice, which is often the case unless you quit fishen at the end of december.

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:11 PM »
I would definitely go for the shelter is you already have a hand auger. The shelter keeps you out of the cold and wind, it just makes ice fishing that much more comfortable.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:18 PM »
I've got both and i use my auger every trip and my shelter about 1 out of 10
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:48 PM »
if your catchin fish the last thing i think about is bein comfortable.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:58 PM »
Well i bought the a quick fish 3 shanty a couple days ago and love it. Thanks for all the oppinions on both sides

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2011, 04:59 PM »
AUGER!

it seems to me that once the ice house comes out everyone wants to just sit in it, instead of out jigging around and what not.

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2011, 05:09 PM »
Well i already bought the shanty and i will buy an auger next

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Yep, but the original question was.......shanty or auger......therefore my answer is auger, not flasher.... ;D ;D ;D

I have had to drill close to 100 holes to find active fish, flasher or not, so that is why I stick with my original answer.

I'd like to go with you where you only need to drill one or two holes to catch fish....I can be available whenever you want to head out....seriously! ;D

me too, even if i don't mark fish and the structure is there i'll jig it for a few.
Live Free Or Die.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.