Author Topic: Pressure Ridges  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Pressure Ridges
« on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Hey guys, be careful.  Took the new four wheeler out on the ice today to the same spot I fished last week end.  We found three new pressure ridges which were opened up with surface water pooling at about a foot deep.  Before sunrise these were nearly impossible to see.  My buddy hit the first pressure ridge and launched into the air like he was Evil Knievel.  This was ice that we fish frequently so if you're fishing the big lake for the derby keep this in mind.  Conditions change all the time even when you are on comfortable grounds.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pressure Ridges
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Crazy. Glad your ok and your friend. 
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Glad it worked out!

Anyone need a ice report?  ???
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:44 PM »
I had to go a long way around one myself, it was about a foot wide and liquid..

On another note, I had  a dimwit in a F 250..drive over to me this afternoon and ask how thick the ice was...I told him to get away from.me because my wheeler doesn't float. ..he did a donut around my camp and drove off...brave sole .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:46 PM »
Prob one of the posters on here from this season that’s become quiet as of late

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:01 PM »
I had to go a long way around one myself, it was about a foot wide and liquid..

On another note, I had  a dimwit in a F 250..drive over to me this afternoon and ask how thick the ice was...I told him to get away from.me because my wheeler doesn't float. ..he did a donut around my camp and drove off...brave sole .

You should of said well I'm on a good 3 inches right here and watch him crap his pants.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Nitro16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Was faced with the same scenario today too.  Fished same spot for 3 weekends and this morning a pressure ridge up to 3 feet in spots with 8" plus water on one side. Found safe spot to cross and marked it on the lowrance. On the way back it had already changed.  Snow Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday is not gonna help people that haven't been checking the ice
Born to fish, forced to work....

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:05 PM »
That would have been awesome

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:10 PM »
Prob one of the posters on here from this season that’s become quiet as of late

No kidding,  you know where I fish, that is the same Ridge that forms  every  year. I usually don't see it that wide until late March. .

Saw an old van towing a Bob house  as well, judging  by the revving  of the engine,  it was 2 wheel drive..

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2020, 05:24 PM »
No kidding,  you know where I fish, that is the same Ridge that forms  every  year. I usually don't see it that wide until late March. .

Saw an old van towing a Bob house  as well, judging  by the revving  of the engine,  it was 2 wheel drive..

Yep! I assumed it was the Ridge you were speaking of, the same one that’s formed since the beginning of time where I was today appeared again too.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2020, 06:37 PM »
Well, the trip off the ice in the dark was uneventful (not complaining).  We took it slow as I have not studded up the tires on the wheeler yet.  Slow day for us today fishing with most fish coming from less than 30'.  We were fishing a submerged point and the spot on the spot being a transition from rocky cobble to sand.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2020, 06:46 PM »
Well, the trip off the ice in the dark was uneventful (not complaining).  We took it slow as I have not studded up the tires on the wheeler yet.  Slow day for us today fishing with most fish coming from less than 30'.  We were fishing a submerged point and the spot on the spot being a transition from rocky cobble to sand.

Studs  help emensly..glad you  made it OK,

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2020, 07:04 PM »
No ridges on the lake I fish. Saw some gaps that will make ridges if it gets windy... Many Lakers and bows today, they were being chompey

Offline Steroid Perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2020, 07:34 PM »
There is a real doozy on the upper part of moultonborough bay. Runs east west from Elkins Pointe to the area of Smith Cove. Unpassable today. Be careful.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:19 PM »
There is a real doozy on the upper part of moultonborough bay. Runs east west from Elkins Pointe to the area of Smith Cove. Unpassable today. Be careful.
I got caught on the wrong side of that one yesterday with no way back without some going on land and searching for an area to get back on. I had no choice

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2020, 11:14 PM »

I REALLY don't get people... 

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:47 AM »
I had a couple small ridges on a pond that I've never seen have them before... Lots of melting, shifting and refreezing going on this year. Normally I'd be all over this pond on the wheeler without a concern, so far this year the best I've seen it was Saturday and it was 5" good with about 2" junk on top. Wheeler has yet to come fishing with this season. Be safe guys
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I REALLY don't get people...

me neither, at least there was 8" of good ice with 3" of snow ice...just enough for me to ALMOST, be comfortable with the wheeler... I crossed a few "healed" cracks that gave me pause... and the afore mentioned crack/pressure ridge that made me seek an alternate route.

Offline MTPockets

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:59 AM »
Heading up to Winni this Friday. Guess I will go a little earlier than planned to scout for Saturday's extravaganza. I just know there are going to be those who are used to the past few years and do something stupid that gets themselves and or others in danger. Unfortunately there is always someone.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Yes definitely go up early i checked the house we rented and its going to be sketchy access.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:43 PM »
checked this ridge all week and did the entire length today trying to find a safe to me spot to cross. I could not find one! Varying conditions along the whole thing , scares the crap out of me and that takes a lot . Be Careful People, the ice varies more than I have ever thought !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.