Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 2029 times)

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
Underwater camera
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:03 AM »
I just got a underwater camera.Charged it up and took it out today.What a blast,I saw bass, bluegills, crappie,pickerel,suckers,white perch,yellow perch,I can't wait to try a trout and salmon lake.I was impressed with the infared lights,it doesn't seem they work when you look at them out of the water,but in the dark they really work.I think a clearer lake will be alot better visibility too.I like being able to see the fish,not wondering if the fish finder is lying.You can see the exact fish you want to catch,and what species,no fish finder you can buy can tell you the species of fish that is down there.Until now.So if anyone is wondering if they are worth the money,yes for sure.I can't believe I went this long without one.Now its on the charger,so it will be ready for tomorrow,what a blast.Anyone want to check one out first,before you buy one,get in touch with me,lets go fishing?LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a camera, just haven't pulled the trigger on one.  What make/model did you get?  Do you normally fish 'stained' water? Snow cover affect viewing distance?  Fish at night?

I normally fish warm water ponds for pannies/bass.  Only fish clearwater for the rotary derby...and have a hard time justifying the purchase for one outing a year.  I've been looking at the VS-380, and just haven't seen enough good things about cameras to pull the trigger.

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:14 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of picking up a camera, just haven't pulled the trigger on one.  What make/model did you get?  Do you normally fish 'stained' water? Snow cover affect viewing distance?  Fish at night?

I normally fish warm water ponds for pannies/bass.  Only fish clearwater for the rotary derby...and have a hard time justifying the purchase for one outing a year.  I've been looking at the VS-380, and just haven't seen enough good things about cameras to pull the trigger.
PM sent
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Camera's are fun (especially if you are setup in a bob house) but I've had a camera for about 7 years and a flasher for 3 and to be honest I have only used my camera one time since I purchased the flasher.

It's pretty much impossible for a flasher to "lie" and it's much more mobile. I like to jig and move around a lot so it works for me but like I said I could still see some use for a camera in a setup and stay situation like a bob house. I also know the places I fish pretty well but if I didn't I find a camera to be very useful for getting first hand knowledge of what the bottom structure is like where as a flasher can show you change in depths but not what is actually down there.
bite it.... bite it....

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »
I got  one from N.A.F.C.      it is yellow    its  kewl
   also you will need a trypod  for it to trace your jigs
  it also  works  for me on the off season  it does  works for me  as a yard scur  ....   camera  or a baby mon...

I had it one nite on    my  wife  likes to feed the rabbits  around  so i put some  food  in a pie tin
  & put the cam  on it   & i saw the hairs  move on its nose  real kewl   in pitch blackness
 so hope  I helped you DudE
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 12:12 PM »
What make/model did you get?
It's the journey, not the destination.

Offline ScreaminSpool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:03 PM »
I just got a underwater camera.Charged it up and took it out today.What a blast,I saw bass, bluegills, crappie,pickerel,suckers,white perch,yellow perch,I can't wait to try a trout and salmon lake.I was impressed with the infared lights,it doesn't seem they work when you look at them out of the water,but in the dark they really work.I think a clearer lake will be alot better visibility too.I like being able to see the fish,not wondering if the fish finder is lying.You can see the exact fish you want to catch,and what species,no fish finder you can buy can tell you the species of fish that is down there.Until now.So if anyone is wondering if they are worth the money,yes for sure.I can't believe I went this long without one.Now its on the charger,so it will be ready for tomorrow,what a blast.Anyone want to check one out first,before you buy one,get in touch with me,lets go fishing?LLS
A trout won't or salmon won't come anywhere near that camera.  They are too spooky.  Great for warmwater species though.  Also, the stripers don't seem to mind it. :)
Remember.  Where ever you go, there you are.

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:09 PM »
A trout won't or salmon won't come anywhere near that camera.  They are too spooky.  Great for warmwater species though.  Also, the stripers don't seem to mind it. :)

I've had several trout of different species in front of my inared lights so that's untrue. If anyone wants to buy it im thinking of selling... aqua vu scout anniversary edition with 7" screen.

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Gotta agree with screaminspool. If you drop chum at the bottom of winni in about 15-25 feet of water off deeper dropoffs, you will have lakers on your camera in 45 minutes. Also had brookies come in and take a jig while I watched on my aquaview in three feet of water. It can get awfully slow waiting for a strike and seeing the fish cruise by makes the time pass. I have a flasher too, but each has its place.

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:38 PM »
Oops. I meant I agree with trout addict. Aww hell, I agree with all of ya.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I've seen Lakers, Cusk, Salmon, Slimey Scalpins, Suckers, Yellow Perch, Smelt, Rainbows and bass on my camera before.

I know it doesn't bothers them at all. The lights might though.

JIGGIN.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:40 PM »
I agree with jiggin69 . I have had all species , especialy lakers look right into the camera with out any problem of spooking and as far as warm water species you haveto have good clarity in the water or you will not see two feet. I have an aqua vu scout for going on three years and I love it for identifing the species and what triggers them. How ever a vexlar or showdown has its place also for viewing species through out the entire water colume. I WANT BOTH !!!!!!
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:53 PM »
Don't get me wrong I would like to have a $$Vex flasher too,but for the money you can't go wrong.LLS

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 06:22 AM »
It is an awesome toy and can be a tool as well. When the bite is tough or you are not sure of what you are seeing on the sonar, drop the camera down there to see what lurks beneath.

And I would advise you that your next toy would be a recorder. I picked one up this year and love it.

Here is a recent video from Winni: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFCyH4RaIAA

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:38 AM »
Awesome.your right I want a recorder already.

Offline Flag-up-in-NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2010, 02:23 PM »
thanks for the video BrainF....that was the first I've seen like that....really cool to see a Lake that I know

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:07 PM »
brianf...that was amazing!  what model did you do that with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and where on winni were you  ;D )
TP

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:07 PM »
I have wanted one for a couple years, just can't afford it right now. Real nice video !  Were you off blackcat this weekend ? I'M not far away.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:18 PM »
i have had both for many years.the camera is a toy that is great to use, lots of fun but it is useless to try to find fish to strike. The vex is a TOOL that you can use to find fish & make them strike!! I have caught more fish  since I got my Vex!!! I bought a new u/w camera for my son for x-mas, it has a panning camera w/ remote control, he loves it & see lots of fish but it is not very mobile & disturbs the fish until they get used to it & come back. The Vex doesn't go down the hole so the fish haven't a clue you are watching. If you love this sport spend the money!! Get a Vex! Or better yet get both!!!!

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I have wanted one for a couple years, just can't afford it right now. Real nice video !  Were you off blackcat this weekend ? I'M not far away.

I put off buying the DVR for a while but have had the Aqua Vu for years. Was on sale at cabelas in December so I picked one up.

That video was from Sunday morning just outside of Center Harbor facing the main lake. Had probably around 20 or so lakers come in to visit. Recorded most of them. Was fun.

The camera is fun but when I'm serious about catching, I stick with just a flasher. I usually bring the camera if I bring my portable shanty. Otherwise, I minimize and pack light.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:03 PM »
It is an awesome toy and can be a tool as well. When the bite is tough or you are not sure of what you are seeing on the sonar, drop the camera down there to see what lurks beneath.

And I would advise you that your next toy would be a recorder. I picked one up this year and love it.

Here is a recent video from Winni: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFCyH4RaIAA
nice , i think that sometimes, the camera seems to make the trout less likly to hit, inever seem to catch anything with the camera down the hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.