Author Topic: power pro line  (Read 5732 times)

Offline gocyclones

• IceShanty Rookie
power pro line
« on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:10 PM »
I started using power pro line for my open water fishing and loved it.  So I put it on my ice fishing reels.  I now see they make an ice line.  Will the regular power pro work for ice fishing or should I get the ice line?

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: power pro line
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2007, 12:53 PM »
I use to change to ice line .In the last 5-6 years I have not bothered changing and has worked fine. If ices a little I just take my fingers and remove no biggy!You wont have any problems with power pro.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2007, 01:39 PM »
I just spooled some 30# power pro on my pike jiggin rod.  Only been out once with it so I really have nothing to say either way.  I was only fishing 6' down or so and set the rod in a stand and the temps were above freezing.  The box I got said it was good for icefishing.  We'll see.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2007, 03:13 PM »
i just spooled up with the PP Ice...ill get back to ya.  ;)

Offline JWALCK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2007, 04:32 PM »
I switched my tip-up leaders from steel 50lb.power pro 3 years ago. Thousands of pickerel and muskies later(mostly picks) had only 1 break. Great stuff, allows bait to move naturally.               

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:03 PM »
I use power pro for open water. I haven't tried it on the ice. But last year I did start using the Fire line ice line. I liked the more sensitive feel from the braided line. And there is no stretch. I think that I'll try some power pro this winter and maybe try some of their ice line to see if there is a differance.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:27 PM »
ive been using pp ice for 2yrs now on my laker/ whitefish rod. is ultra sensitive in deep water. i run a 6ft. floro. leader w/ a swivel. i keep a little piece of paffarin wax to coat the line occasionally so the ice doesnt stick but not really a problem. no problems w/ line memory like mono.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:59 PM »
I use 30# red pp on my tip ups for fishing for pike or lakers.  As others have mentioned, I just have a 3ft fluorocarbon leader [BPS XPS] at the end.  Great sensitivity, and I haven't had a break yet!!

Hope this helps,

shawno  8)

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2007, 02:51 PM »
My buddy was using power pro for ice fishing the other day.  He had to often gnaw away the ice that formed on his line....lol.

I use 15 lb mono on my saplings when fishing in shallow water for pike and walleye.  I add an appropriate leader to the line.

For deep water (over 50 feet), I will try out Fireline.  I've been using mono up to now.

billybono

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2007, 10:21 AM »
fyi

braided line absorbs water and will freeze  ;)

billybono

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:10 PM »
fyi

braided line absorbs water and will freeze  ;)

billybono

This is my email direct from Power Pro

"Shawn, PowerPro performs quite well in cold conditions.  In fact, we make and sell a line especially for ice fishing called PowerPro ICE.  It comes in a blue color and on 75 yard spools.  PowerPro, like all braided lines does absorbs some water, but PowerPro retains less water than most.  Braided lines are a good choice for ice fishing because in freezing conditions, they do not get brittle and break as does mono.  Hope this answers your question!  Regards, Ken Casady -- Customer Service"

So just to let you power pro is a good choice for ice fishing   ;)

shawno

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:09 PM »
This is my email direct from Power Pro

PowerPro, like all braided lines does absorbs some water, but PowerPro retains less water than most.  Braided lines are a good choice for ice fishing because in freezing conditions, they do not get brittle and break as does mono. 

shawno

how much water is less water? thats a very unscientific statement right there

Ive never had a problem with mono getting brittle and breaking ever

billybono

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Even mono carries a bit of water on it and ice will form.  Especially at very cold temperatures.  But from what I saw, it's way more difficult to remove the ice from braided line than from mono.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2007, 09:03 PM »
i have mono on my lighter reels for perch or smaller trout. and powerpro on most of my heavier reels.  i personally have found no difference as opposed to taking line off once it freezes, you just slide the piece of ice down 2 feet and start jigging again.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2007, 05:38 AM »
I have been using PP for 3 years and PP Ice for 2. I really love the stuff, as a pike has yet to break me off. It also has excellent abrasion resistance in the packbasket when I need to drive for hours to find ice. I have also have Mono break after rubbing on the side of the hole. The only gripe I do have is that in extreme weather it will freeze, but when its that cold nothing work good.
Anthony

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2007, 08:02 AM »
I think you would have to be careful that the breaking strength of the line doesn't exceed the snapping point of your jigging rod.  I tried Fireline last winter and found that it coiled up pretty bad when I was using something lighter than 1/8 oz.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2007, 03:21 PM »
Have been fishing with Power Pro for five years now, and have been on their Pro Staff for three years.  Qualified for the North American Ice Fishing Championships while using nothing but 8 lb Pwr Pro.  Thats not tooting a horn or anything, just to give you an idea of where I am coming from.  Heres what I know from using the line in a lot of situations.

Not sure how many of you actually sight fish, but in shallower water fish seem to run more side to side rather than deep down.  Before with mono your only choice was to dunk the rod under the hole  to prevent the mono from from fraying and breaking off.  With the Power Pro it hasnt broken off once and I havent  had to crack ice off my guides from it taking a swim.

I fish a lot of 1/16oz spoons like the Forage Minnow from Northland, and the line does keep tight after a short break in period that is well worth the wait.  If you go below that like 1/64th and smaller and you are trying to tightline,  then I suggest you go with a mono like 2 lb Gold Stren, and Cajun Red  or  XL if you are going by feel and using the flasher.  They are good quality monofiliments.

As far as freezing goes,  occasionally it does have some build up, but only the very cold.  It really isnt that the line asorbs water to such a degree, but that because of the material, the water clings to the line.  If you have ever open watered fished with it you will notice the spray off the line while doing a retrieve,  its not in the line, the construction is too tight for that, but that it is on the line.

When its really that cold, to be honest I'm fishing inside a shanty,  and if its bitter cold,  I ve got the coleman kicking out the heat which keeps the slush out of the hole and the line from freezing up.  I use 8 lb for fishing with panfish,  and 10,15 and 20 lb for everything from walleye to pike to salmon/trout.  Fisherman to the extreme north might be in situations where the performance is less than ideal, in that case go with what works for you the best.  Confidence,  whether it is real or perceived, in a product does make a difference.

Are there some situations in which mono performs better, yep!  But in most cases the Power Pro will put fish on the ice with a lot less break offs,  for whatever reason.  You can choose from the blue ice line in its 75 yd spool to give it try or if you only use a couple of rods while fishing.  Or if you take several to apply to situations you can use the the mono for tightlining lighter jigs, then sight fish and use heavier baits with the Power Pro.  You can choose from the blue for a couple of reels, or if you plan on using or spooling mulitple reels you can get the filler spools in Moss Green, Hi Vis Yellow and Red.

Thats the best answer I can give you without it sounding like a snow job.  I use the stuff a lot, but like I said, in a few situations,  mono does have its place.  good luck yall.
MASON

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.