Author Topic: looking for perch on a new lake  (Read 2707 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
looking for perch on a new lake
« on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:58 AM »
I have only been fishing for perch 3 years now with only a little success . I have found one lake that i can catch a few each year on a 20 ft flat a very large one at that . But i was woundering is what you guys look for when you look at a lake map is it the flats in 20+ fow or the deep holes and how deep is to deep ? I have one lake that is nearby that is very clear that has a hole as deep as 82 feet max is that to deep to look for them it does have some small flats that range from 20 to 70 feet. 

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
Re: looking for perch on a new lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2007, 04:29 PM »
This time of year a look for big sandy flats in the 10-20 ft mark . just keep moving around till I pick up a couple in area then work with lots of holes.As well change hook colour and presentation once in awhile. ;)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2007, 05:33 PM »
Hey thanks for the info i was just woundering because i have heard of people catching them as deep as 40 ft before does it have to be a true flat or can it be a hole ?

Offline crayfishbob

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2007, 06:46 PM »
Hey thanks for the info i was just woundering because i have heard of people catching them as deep as 40 ft before does it have to be a true flat or can it be a hole ?

I've spent about 20 years chacing perch. I've explored places that nobody ever fishes, wich was always best. Any how, my best advice is to follow your instincts. After studying the map, just go to those areas that YOU want to try. Deep holes as you describe is usually worth checking. My personal best method to find fish is to study the maps, then fish what looks like the letter U right down the middle until you find a few fish, then fish that depth. I've cought perch in good numbers in 2 ft. of water to average depths of 50 ft. Just remember that the big females will start coming into shallower water as the season progresses. Another thing is 100 holes a day is average for me, never spend more than one minute per hole at a 20 pace spread, ( holes 20 paces apart) and you will soon enough know if theres anything biting. When the bite is on, its 20 seconds and i'm moving on to the next hole. Drill tighter drill patterns once you pinpoint a hitting area.

Retired , but still recovering ice fishing addict.

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:20 PM »
I know I was catching perch as deep as 50 ft. just prior to ice-up in one of NY's finger lakes.  Don't disregard the deeper areas.....you never know - odds are you'll encounter fish in deep and shallow waters, just might be sorted by size groups in different areas.   A good flasher would be worth it's weight in gold in your situation - don't waste time if you aren't marking fish.  Work a variety of depths until something hits.......Good luck!
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2007, 11:38 PM »
This all depends on the fishery. Farm pond to natural lakes with average depths with weeds and no shad type roaming baitfish, start on the flats with weeds. As the year gets closer to the end of ice fishing season perch start to stage closer to spawning areas.( feeder creeks)

Larger lakes with very deep water and roaming shad type baitfish, find areas that the baitfish are using. Perch can be anywhere on the lake and anywhere in the water column.( perch readily suspend in these type of lakes)
Closer to spawn time flats with feeder creeks.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Thanks for the help guys . I think i found a spot on one of my maps that might have some perch and i'm goning to give it a try tomrrow moring .I will let you know how i did and thanks again  :)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Well i went out today and came up dry mabey next time   :-\

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2007, 01:50 PM »
At least you got a shot at going out we have waiting to break this cold snap -38-42 for almost a month. getting a little fed up need a thaw .Keep trying it is only going to improve from here on in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.