The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What time do the Bluegills Stop Biting?  (Read 5587 times)

Offline WalleyeCrawl10

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Love My BeaverDams!
What time do the Bluegills Stop Biting?
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:06 AM »
Hey guys, I'm just trying to figure out when the Bluegills start and stop biting. So far it seems they start around 8 in the morning and possibly end round 2 in the afternoon. Does that seem correct to you guys? Also does anyone use other baits specifically for Gills than grubs?
The Green Hornet Strikes Again! Caught my Limit....I see you only snagged one.

Two fish are on there, bonehead. And you know damn well that I throw back what I'm not gonna eat.

Oh yeah, like that 40 pound Musky your always yapping about, it's a shame nobody ever see's you with these monsters!

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What time do the Bluegills Stop Biting?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:21 AM »
There is no real "specific" time line when bluegills bite during the day.  Here is a web site you can use to find the "best" times they will bite based on the Solunar Tables for Wisconsin.  Sometimes they work - sometimes they don't ;)2

http://www.wisconsinoutdoor.com/solunar.htm

When this opens click on  Wisconsin Best Fishing Times "current month" 

This site is for Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan only.  There are sites out on the web for any state, zip code, etc.  Just do a search for Solunar Tables.

Not sure what you mean by bait other than "grubs".  Most people use waxies, spikes, mousies, or plastics for bluegill. 
I'm sure you will get answers like  corn, chicken fat, bacon, etc. not the most common :wacko:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:33 AM »
As soon as I get there  :whistle:........ ;D

Seriously though, one particular lake I fish is best right at dawn and dusk, when I can barely see the indicator. I will always get there early and get set up in the dark, then leave after it's dark. I will pick up a few during daylight hours...but it's a pretty tough bite. But the ones I usually catch early and late are nice ones, so it's worth the wait.

But then again, we can get into the water quality, plant life, oxygen level thing that also affect the bite as well...just depends I guess.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline cousin eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:42 AM »
Wait, where did you find gills that START biting??  I could tell you when they stop biting by me if they ever start!  ;D

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I think it is more lake specific. Last week I was catching gills at 5:15 pm. If they shut down at 2,I would try another spot,you should have a few hours of good icefishing left. Paul

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:00 PM »
As soon as I get there  :whistle:........ ;D
I feel your pain. Samething here I think. 

Offline CrappieNutJustin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:42 AM »
so far this season been right around dark, just like pretty much any time ive ever fished em, if theyre shutting down at 2 id try a new spot or new lake

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:01 AM »
They go in streaks on the bite times, but usually sure to shut down just before dark, I don't think I ever caught a bluegill after dark. But the evening bite just before dark can be very good.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2012, 08:41 AM »
It seems I always get a flurry of bites in the last 30 minutes or so and then it shuts down cold right at dark.  Never had any luck at all with the bluegills after nightfall, but crappies and walleyes still were biting.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:14 AM »
+2 on the crappie, sometimes I don't catch my first crappie until right at dark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.