Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

walleye

Author Subject: walleye
matt Posted At 22:02:35 01/03/2002
I fish quite a bit and the only fish that seems to skunk me time and time again is the walleye. as a general rule of thumb what does everyone think that best depth is to set the bait and what type of bait is most commonly used. Any help would be apreicated. Ohh and if location matters I fish the watters of upstate New York from Albany North

Greg Gustum Re: walleye (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:51:37 01/06/2002

Hi, when I fish for walleye here in Wisconsin, i fish any where from 1 to 12 inches of the bottom, ocasionaly you will find them suspended like crappies, but your best bet will be near the bottom, hope this helps good luck.
Norm LeBlanc Re: walleye (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 07:34:23 01/10/2002

Matt. I fish Ontario Canada and I also find app. 3-12 inches from the bottom works best,Eyes also like to spend the winter in shallow waters. App. 8-15 feet.

Hope this helps. norm
ben Re: walleye (Currently 1 replies)
Posted At 21:28:48 01/12/2002

matt,
you must find a shallow hump about 3'-6' deep with 10'-20' of water near by. the best bite time is a hour before sunset to a hour after sunset. set tip-ups on the hump about 6"-8" off bottem with bass minnows for bait. fish the deep water just off the shallow hump during the day and early evening with a minnow 4" off bottem with one pole and a spoon or jig tipped with a minnow on your second pole. it all comes down to how well you know the bottem structure of the lake your fishing and being able to pick an area which holds walleye. I've wasted alot of days just finding a good area on a lake I was not familiar with.
RB Re: walleye (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:21:16 01/14/2002

KEEP THE MINNOW ON YOUR HOOK AS LIVE AND ACTIVE AS POSSIBLE.
nathan mosher Re: walleye (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:00:11 02/03/2002

8to12"from bottom find some icile minnow's I also am from upstate NY NORTHVILLE on sac. lake 6 am to 8:30am and 3pm to 6:30pm caught a 22" 31/2lb last saturday andafew this saturday from 15" to17" try fishing just out of any bay's if you can GOOD LUCK
harry Re: walleye (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 08:15:18 02/05/2002

hi!i found a shallow hump in little bay de noc here in the u.p.! i slayed all day on those waldoes. i'd say the best spot to slay is wherever joe eagle is. he catches 8 pounders all the time that are really big.