Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

let em eat it

Author Subject: let em eat it
BenZ Posted At 17:25:19 01/02/2002
I found that waiting about 3-5 min will increase your chances of hooking fish.This is very true for walleyes.I've lost alot of fish because I ran over to it and spooked the fish.If you give it time to eat it you will find that you will catch more fish.If the fish wants it he?she will eat it. ( I am useing tipups not jigging)
Fingerlakes Fisher Re: let em eat it (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 22:58:43 01/07/2002

When approaching a tip up, do it slowly and quietly. You may spook the fish and they will drop your bait. also, do not wait too long. It is a good time to hook them at the end of their initial run, if you are lucky enough to get there in time. Watch your tipups closely! If they are running hard or consistently, let them go. When they stop or pauser or slow, nail them. Sometimes waiting too long is bad. If a fish doesnt feel the hook they will take it to safety and swallow it there. This is usually the end of the first run. After that they are cautious and may know something is up. This is where a stinger hook may be just what is needed. If you are using one and hit the fish at the end of the first run you should get him right in the corner of the mouth.