Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

fishing with large sucker chubs

Author Subject: fishing with large sucker chubs
TW Posted At 16:47:15 02/02/2001
I would like to know how I can keep a large sucker chub from tripping the flag on my tip up. Have heard of using a rubber band but any other tips would be helpful. Thanks
shawn Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:52:15 02/02/2001

try cutting the tail in half this will limit how much force the sucker will be able to pull and keep your tipup from going up this also workes on with smelt and makes a fish think its wounded and hit it quicker
Randy Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 18:12:23 02/22/2001

Try sliding the flag down a little. This will make the tripping device harder to trip.
dave Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:26:40 02/24/2001

take a clothes pin ,put it under your spool,on the stem of your tip up, useing a rubber band,take your line and pinch the clothes pin open ,put your line in ,your good to go .good luck.
Jon Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:28:21 08/30/2001

I often use downrigger clips. They are usualy provided with clips that are large enough to fit over the barrel of you tipups. Just clip them on above your spool and put your line in the slot, the ones I found had a screw to adjust how much pressure was put on the line. This way your minnows can swim and tug all yhey like and no minnow trips. GOOD LUCK
fish4food Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:18:31 10/02/2001

I use a toenail clipper to remove most of the tail fin. this usually does the trick and it actualy makes the minnow more active.
mitchy Re: fishing with large sucker chubs (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 13:10:16 01/31/2002

Cut the tail finn off is correct. If he's strong enough to trip your flag, he'll have no problem getting around with the fin gone. They have some nice tip ups with a drag system now. Around $16-$24.