Tip Area Has Moved! click here.

ICESHANTY.COM - Tipup Tips

<----BACK         HOME

Check your bait often

Author Subject: Check your bait often
Dan In VT Posted At 11:48:35 01/31/2001
My fishing partner and I try to get out and "shake them up" as often as possible. When we go out to clear the ice out of the hole we're sure to bring that minnow up and check him out. This accomplishes a couple of things: 1. you make sure your bait is fresh, 2. you can bring in line if the bait makes it to a clump of cover you weren't aware of, 3. you can jumpstart an inactive minnow. It is not uncommon to have flags go off behind you as you are off to the next hole.
Tom in Vermont Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 13:52:21 01/31/2001

Dan,

We fish for salmon and find moving the bait one of the keys to picking up a fish when things get slow. We also adjust depths at the same time.

Do you fish Lk. Champlain?

Are you doing the derby this year. Feb 10 and 11?
Dan In VT Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:12:48 02/02/2001

We have been sticking mostly to Shelburne Pond and hunting for pike. It's been a little slow so we might be getting mobile. We actually haven't fished the lake yet this year, but one of my deer camp buddies commercially fishes for perch all season around St. Albans / Alburg. I would love to do the derby...
doug Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:24:21 03/28/2001

I fish there . . . catch m big there try poopin' in the hole, works to get fish like nothin else you know!!!
RAY AHRENS Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:07:54 11/24/2001

DOUG YOU CANT BE SERIOUS POOP IN THE HOLE???LET ME KNOW I'LL TRY ANYTHING
phil Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:27:41 01/11/2002

You should often check your bait becouse sometimes the fish will sit there with your bait not triping the flag.
Ron Lacoste Re: Check your bait often (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 04:22:33 02/13/2002

I live in southern Vt , in Manchester, we have been catching a good amount of pike on Lake St. Catherine. As far as poopin in the hole,,, hmmmmm, I just dont know, think my butt would be a bit cold. Knowing my luck id miss the hole and have it land on the ice!! Good fishin gentleman, wrangle em in!!!!