Author Topic: Aqua view vs. Fish t.v.  (Read 8248 times)

Offline fischer69

• IceShanty Rookie
Aqua view vs. Fish t.v.
« on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:04 PM »
 I am just wondering if any1 has experience with both units or others for that fact. I just want to know if I can sneak by with the Fish t.v. (I like the price) or if it is junk.
Thank you for your input.

Tony :icefish:

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
Re: Aqua view vs. Fish t.v.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Saw a fish tv at the bait store today for $100.  A friend got one for xmas and it seems to work OK.  I suppose its like almost anything else.  You get what you pay for.   I saw the aqua vu scout for 200.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:58 PM »
I bought a new Aqua Cam online for $100, its probably along the same line as the Fish T.V.. So its what you call a ford instead of a Cadillac. I didn't have $2-300 to spend on a Aqua View.

If I can see 2 ft in the water I am fishing, I can see a little less than that with the Aqua Cam...If I am at Maxinkuckee in Culver Ind. The water is clearer, I can see about8-10' with eyes, so I set my camera about 6-7 foot away and can see all 3 holes in my shanty I am fishing threw.

Now as for after dark, I can't see with it. It has IRLED lights, but they don't work in water like they do in the air. I can see with camera in my house at night with lights out. But in the water, there is to many micro particles that block the IRLED lights. I have heard that the expensive Aqua Vu's are the same way, can't see at night. But I never have tried putting out an underwater light, that might help night fishing...

The only advantage I can see of having the more expensive Aqua Vu's is. Some of them have a temp. gauge and a camera directional finder...I don't need either so my works ok for me for the price I paid....

If I ever upgraded, I think I would go to the  Marcum. They make a color model and Marcum is cheaper than the Aqua view....I seen On In Depth Ice fishing show, where the Marcum 250 was selling for $159 w/$20 rebate. Now $139 is not to bad...

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2008, 06:26 PM »
If I ever upgraded, I think I would go to the  Marcum. They make a color model and Marcum is cheaper than the Aqua view....I seen On In Depth Ice fishing show, where the Marcum 250 was selling for $159 w/$20 rebate. Now $139 is not to bad...

I just purchased the Marcum camera you are talking about.  I am very pleased with the unit. 

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:21 PM »
aqua-vu and fish tv are equal in my book because the fish tv is a cheaper version of the aqua-vu while the aqua-vu has a little more user friendly working system and a sun sheild. i would go with fish tv until you have enough money for an aqua-vu then buy that and send the fish tv to me! ;D

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:51 PM »
aqua-vu and fish tv are equal in my book because the fish tv is a cheaper version of the aqua-vu while the aqua-vu has a little more user friendly working system and a sun sheild. i would go with fish tv until you have enough money for an aqua-vu then buy that and send the fish tv to me! ;D

I looked at the Fish TV in the store when I was looking at cameras.  The picture quality was not even close to the Aqua view or the Marcum.  It also seemed really cheap to me. 

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2008, 08:54 PM »
I've used the FishTV about ten times since I got it in December and so far works very well for me considering the price. Caught a lot of fish I wouldn't have without it. It now comes with a detachable sun shield but it works best inside a shanty. Problems: A)uses 10 batteries-get a 12v lawn mower type battery and it lasts for days on a charge/ B)camera turns in water- buy or make a device to turn the cable and hold it steady/ C)IR lights don't do anything-I have no solution except put it away after sunset. One last thing-if the battery runs low the screen will go down to a narrow white line. First time it happened I thought it was broken until I charged the battery again. Good luck with whatever you get, it's a great toy, I mean tool.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Problems: A)uses 10 batteries-get a 12v lawn mower type battery and it lasts for days on a charge/

That is a big expence, using 10 batteries. I got a 4.5 amp with mine Aqua Cam, Last about 5 hrs. I remember I had a 12 amp battery for kids cars they drive outside, car was no good. I cut the plug off, clamped some F1 terminals on and tape them down so they would not touch. And Now I have one battery that last from sunrise to sunset....You can buy these at wallmart I think, make sure you get the 12v not the 6volt. But you have to cut the plug off and replace with F1 terminals. Did you get a charger with your Fish TV? I don't think you want to use an auto battery charger on these small batteries.

B)camera turns in water- buy or make a device to turn the cable and hold it steady/

Take a piece of narrow wood sider than your hole, clamp the cable onto the wood. This makes it stable. Just turn wood to point camera

C)IR lights don't do anything-I have no solution except put it away after sunset.

Yep, they say no camera works after dark. Even the Aqua Vu's and Marcus...At least that is what the thread says on this after dark hrs.

One last thing-if the battery runs low the screen will go down to a narrow white line. First time it happened I thought it was broken until I charged the battery again.

Ya, happened to me to...

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline 1Eskimoshack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2008, 09:11 PM »
My experience with the fish TV--went through 3 units, all junk, all lasted one trip.  Bought a scout XL (aqua vu) at scheels all sports for 169 came with a battery, tripod and carrying case.  Very nice unit, plus it has a 7 in screen instead of 5.
Shiner down, Flag up!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2008, 08:48 AM »
I record allot of fish with my scout 5 inch with the fish skin camera. I would never buy an underwater camera that doesn't have a place to hook up a recorder. Recording is just as much fun as catching them, especially when you show your friends, the fish bitting your hook.

P>S> it don't work at night! I switch to my flasher after dark.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Quote:   {Yep, they say no camera works after dark. Even the Aqua Vu's and Marcus...At least that is what the thread says on this after dark hrs.}

I can't speak about the Aqua-vue, But I am the proud owner of a Marcum that sees just fine in the dark. I have used it in a river during spring runoff at 11:00 at night to see if there were going to be any "eyes" there for opening day. The Marcum worked fine and the walleye's eye reflects the light so that you can pick them out at 10' away.
 To compare the Marcum to the A-view, this is how it was explained to me. The A-view light is like driving in a snow storm with the high beams on.( The light is mounted at camera level)
 The Marcum works more like fog lights. The light is mounted away from the camera so that the particulates in the water don't reflect light to the lens and therefore you get a clearer view.
<br />img

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I am just waiting for Marcum to come out with a DVR recorder and my Aqua Vus will be gone. Marcum has way better clarity!
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:21 AM »
I record allot of fish with my scout 5 inch with the fish skin camera. I would never buy an underwater camera that doesn't have a place to hook up a recorder. Recording is just as much fun as catching them, especially when you show your friends, the fish bitting your hook.

P>S> it don't work at night! I switch to my flasher after dark.

We got a cheap camcorder, can't tape off my Aqua cam with it. There is no input jack, just a output....I have looked in the manual and there is not a input......Grrrrr....M y older one, the one my wife broke......Had an input.....Would love to tape fish biteing and show the family.....If I don't catch much, the camera makes the trip enjoyable...

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:47 PM »
I think they fish t.v. and aqua vu are made by the same company, nature vision.  The fish t.v. is like a striped down aqua vu. I got an SRT and i like the cover/ sunshield, carry handle, rechargeable battery, and overall user friendlyness.  In the end you will end up spending so much money on the batteries for the fish t.v. you will wish you just bought an Aqua vu.  The cheapest aqua vu is a better deal in the end over the fish t.v.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.