Author Topic: Safe Ice  (Read 976 times)

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe Ice
« on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:26 PM »
Hey guys,

I want to get out this long weekend for a last chance before all the ice is gone.. A buddy of mine was out today in hay bay, tried to go to thompsons point but he said the ice was pretty sketchy. He also said the old church was better and had about 4 or 5 inches. So I might try there tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone could tell me how thick the ice was in other places. I am in Kingston so someplace not too far would be good. I was thinking maybe loborough, as I haven't been there this year yet and lakers are fun when you can get them. 

I wouldn't mind bringing my daughter but don't want to bring her anywhere where the ice may be thin. If I go to the church she won't be coming, but if anyone knows a spot where the ice should still be good and I could get her some perch would be great.

any info or suggestions for decent fishing and SAFE ice will be appreciated.

cheers!

fishO  :tipup:

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Safe Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Haven't been on loughbourgh for a while so can't comment on ice thickness but there are bikes out on it now.  It was 8" last time I was on it probably pushing 12" now. I don't like to make blanket statements like all back lakes are safe, because there is variation and even lakes like upr rock which has had 10"+ of ice over 100fow for over a month now, has open water where the creek runs in. We are at the point of the year where we are reaching the peak of ice thickness. I can tell you in the last 2 weeks I have been on 3 back lakes and the least amount I have seen is 15" of ice. Long story short there are 100s of lake within an hour of Kingston with good ice so all depends on what you want to catch!
@jzuliniak

Offline fishO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply JZ, I ended up going to the old church out in hay bay.. the ice was about 4-5" inches that day. Walked out on snow covered ice, walked back in through 3 inches of water and slush. Everything was melting quick, I won't be going back again this year.. Was not a good year for ice fishing in Quinte, sketchy ice and nothing but perch for me. Hopefully next year is better.  :'(

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Well atleast you got out on BOQ second year in a row where I won't be out there. Too many lakes too little time. Lots of people getting Perch. If they were jumbos I would welcome that but mostly dinks from what I have been hearing.
@jzuliniak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.