The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: electric auger  (Read 5363 times)

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
electric auger
« on: Nov 01, 2016, 10:58 AM »
thinking of switching from propane to electric,  what experienced  electric auger users recommend which unit?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: electric auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2016, 08:53 AM »
i think many of us have switched or started with a drill on top of an auger.

the reason to think this way is having equipment that can be used all year long and not an expensive auger only being used a few months.

if you have both and need more power, clam has made a gear box to go onto their plate that all of it and then you could turn a large auger. the gear box is a 2 to 1 gear ratio. i wasn't a fan of the plate, but this year they made this gear box. it opens up the field a long ways for us.
otherwise a strong drill on a 6" sharp auger is all you need straight up. if going larger then i would consider this plate and gear box set up.

i drill 2 feet (it would drill thicker ice, but that's all we get) with a 500 inch pound drill on top of a 6" lazer auger. i have upgraded my tools and now have a 780 inch pound drill and might be able to turn a 7" auger now, but i don't need a bigger size.

if you decide to go with this set up just listen to the bit and drill to learn how to cut ice like you do cutting metal or any thing with a large bit. if using a lazer auger, just lift a little just before it cuts out the bottom like we do cutting metal to avoid a jam.
i hear nills and the k-drill don't jam at the bottom of the hole.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2016, 10:05 PM »
I've been using a Milwaukee fuel drill with a 7" laser auger for the past two years and absolutely love it. I have the setup put together on the clam drill plate and it is so easy to carry and control when using. I've yet to use up both of my 4ah batteries in one day and I drill a few dozen holes to stay on fish with the jig rod.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2016, 10:41 PM »
One benefit of the 18v drill route is the batteries.. They can also be used for a myriad of other tools, lights, radio....

This radio runs off the same battery as my auger, it will also run my shanty lights, charge my phone, and will play music from my phone as it's being charged..  ;)

<°)))>{

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2016, 06:22 AM »
thanks for the replies,   guess my question should of been:   Eskamo, Strikemaster, ION or jiffy   electric,   which one is better?

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I have a Nils 8"and will cut a inch a second, great for ice in the lower part of the state. I have a Jiffy 30 9 " I bought in 2001 and never used it last year. I had a Icegator but never could keep it running.
Steve

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2016, 09:22 PM »
I had a Gator, but sold it.
I still my my 2hp Jiffy, but didn't use it much the past few years.
I have been hand cranking with my Nils.
When I'm lazy, I use the Tanaka on a Nils.
I've had my eye on the electrics over the years.
I would find one that uses a shaving (vs chipping) bit.
I'd also find one that uses lightweight batteries, unless
you are using it strictly inside a hut. 
I think Gator is one of the fastest, but speed isn't everything.
I would research reliability, service, etc.
JMHO
MD

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2016, 12:32 AM »
I had a propane auger switched to the ion love it. Buy the ion you won't be disappointed

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2016, 01:11 AM »
thanks for the replies,   guess my question should of been:   Eskamo, Strikemaster, ION or jiffy   electric,   which one is better?

It's interesting that we are talking about an electric auger which is an electric drill.. The brands above are by far the least experienced at making electric drills. When you think how much longer companies like DeWalt and Makita have been making electric drills..

Just a different way of looking at it..

<°)))>{

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2016, 06:32 AM »
I had a propane auger switched to the ion love it. Buy the ion you won't be disappointed

Do you have the ION X 8 inch?

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Buy a Nils and you will never have a dead battery and no smell of gas on your hands.
Steve

Offline huntsfurfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 04, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I have an Ion and like it so far.  Has seen limited use and have extra battery.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2016, 04:40 PM »
It's interesting that we are talking about an electric auger which is an electric drill.. The brands above are by far the least experienced at making electric drills. When you think how much longer companies like DeWalt and Makita have been making electric drills..

Just a different way of looking at it..

<°)))>{

Turning a small bit is a bit different than say powering a post hole digger or 10" ice "drill. "

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Turning a small bit is a bit different than say powering a post hole digger or 10" ice "drill. "

This drill would eat any gas ice auger for breakfast...

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1854-1

<°)))>{

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2016, 09:24 PM »
This drill would eat any gas ice auger for breakfast...

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/1854-1

<°)))>{

How long is your extension cord ?

Offline ducksdown07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2016, 10:25 PM »

Most sleds and wheelers have 12v power, which you could run an inverter through. Thing would be wicked.  What about air power?  Put a little tank on the back of the sled haha
Some people say "if it flies it dies"
I'm on record that "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2016, 03:09 AM »
I bought an ion middle of last winter used it 3 or 4 times once in pretty cold/windy conditions had no issues with it. Cut through 18 inches of ice. Most holes I did in one trip probably 25, still had roughly half a charge left. I will probably buy another battery. The ion cuts very smooth. If 8" hole is all u need u can't go wrong with the ion. In the last 10 years had a jiffy legend cut great always had a hard time starting it. Then bought a jiffy 3200 9 inch it was alright started hard when cold. Then went to the pro4 lite probably my best auger by far used it all winter started first pull every time cut incredibly smooth, used it at least 40 trips. One morning 20 below at least 2 plus feet of ice i drill 8 inches it shuts off. Left auger in hole started cable froze auger takes off full throttle, throws me off the auger, the auger was spinning for 2 minutes, pull cord out all the way handle shattered did some other minor damage, brought it to beans got another one. Must have got lemon, not even close to my other got rid of that had regulator issues. Now I got the ion. I fish way to much to worry about auger issues. Ion is light an cuts awesome!

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Offline RealBigReel

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2016, 10:35 AM »
I don't own an Ion, but have used one a few times, it's one of the first ones they came out with and it has a lot of use on it, it still works well other than the reverse switch broke and can only be used in forward (doesn't sound like a big deal but running them in reverse will push most of the slush back under the ice) and according to the owner the batteries don't hold a charge as long as they did when they where new.

I have also used an 8" Nils hooked to a Milwaukee cordless drill...if I decide to go electric it will be the Nils and drill set up..without question.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2016, 11:01 AM »

Longer than the relevancy of your question..

My point was only suggesting that the best electric drill may or may not be made by a gas auger company..

Technically I have two electric and one gasser...

<°)))>{

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I have the original strikemaster lazer(not lithium).  I've had it 3 or 4 years and love it.  Depending on the thickness of the ice, I could usually get 20+ holes easily but I also carry a spare tractor batter(it has a 10' chord with jumper cables on it) and with that I have drilled over 100 holes in 2' of ice multiple times.  I jig and move a lot, so it's not uncommon for me to drill 30-50 holes in a day.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 06, 2016, 12:33 PM »
Just ordered the ION X looking forward to using it , I will use my jiffy propane 10 in as a backup

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2016, 07:57 PM »
U will like it! You just need some ice.  Hopefully by early December

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 07, 2016, 12:24 PM »
get a hand auger  ;D

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 07, 2016, 02:55 PM »
I tried a friends ion last year early season worked nice. 8" all you need on those warm days, when it is 0°F nice to have a 10" hole.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Joe Henry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 07, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Just ordered the ION X looking forward to using it , I will use my jiffy propane 10 in as a backup

Congrats!   I got one last month!   ;D

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2016, 05:58 AM »
I tried a friends ion last year early season worked nice. 8" all you need on those warm days, when it is 0°F nice to have a 10" hole.

Ya, still have the 10in  pro4 for those days :)   

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Congrats!   I got one last month!   ;D

Thanks!  Can't wait to try it out,  appears to be lighter than the Jiffy Pro4 I have now.

Offline largemouth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Longer than the relevancy of your question..

My point was only suggesting that the best electric drill may or may not be made by a gas auger company..

Technically I have two electric and one gasser...

<°)))>{

But the best electric drill that is made for drilling small holes may not be a good choice when someone wants a 10" auger. When Dewalt comes out with an electric powerhead that is geared correctly for turning a 10" "drill", feel free to throw it up as an option. I'd agree that if a 6" or 8" hole is adequate, the Nils/Milwaukee combo is unbeatable.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2016, 08:44 PM »
As a note, this years model of the clam plate for drills has a gear box to apply more torque for using the 8" augers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.