Author Topic: Marcum Lx-7 owners I need help...  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
Marcum Lx-7 owners I need help...
« on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:44 AM »
On the fence about an upgrade
Either a FLX-28
Or an Lx-7
Why do you like your lx7?
I keep hearing it had a graph that displays history???
What is this, and how do YOU use this feature?

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum Lx-7 owners I need help...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2015, 08:50 AM »
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/aFPI3-27kPI/maxresdefault.jpg 

The link has a picture of the split screen with the graph up. The graph being on the left side of the picture. Essentially it is a graph like you would use on an boat and it scrolls across giving you a type of history of the activity on the screen. I use it paired with a zoom and regular vertical showdown display. It basically is just a different way to view the sonar information.  Can be a little more detail than just a colored bar.   

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:26 AM »
LX-7 has a lot of bells and whistles, but many flaws as well.  I purchased mine at the beginning of the season and slightly regret my decision. 
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2015, 09:59 AM »
go with the vexilar and never find out how good their customer service is.you wont need it.haha.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:50 AM »
mine failed after 6 uses and took 10 days for free to get a ribbon cable that fell off put back on. i could have fixed it. other than that i like mine a lot and better than my flasher. the flasher is humminbird ice-55. flasher days are all done for me. they were nice when you had nothing better to use. flashers are analog and flash light and motors spin the lights. motors fail, it failed on my bird and many lx-5's. if i had to go analog, it might be the vex because they last or the broken ones aren't posted.
the bird has more features. the digital marcum have even more features. the lx-7 also filters out the plankton much better than the bird and the bird filters is even better the showdown.
the razor thin line (1/2" target separation) is real nice to have and in 6 color, the zoom then is much easier to distinguish whats what because its not so thick. you can adjust how thick it is too. flasher are what you see is what you get. the line is not adjustable because its a spinning light bulb on a motor hub.
the graph is great for seeing subtle changes the spinning motor can not show and is also a short live recording for you to use for several reasons that very nice to have and is a deal breaker to me. i can have a graph and a vertical or circular display or 3 choices at any time or 2 or o1. its up to you how and what you want it to display info.
the software is upgradeable too, so when they design more features and better specs on what already works well, you can update it for free your self.
too many reasons to go digital than not.
check them out, words are only part of the equation.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Marcum products blow all other products out of the water.

Marcum customer service, SUCKS MASSIVE DONG.

There is no other way to put it, they simply are horrible. I purchased a brand new LX7 and it did NOT have a charger, no where, not to be found in the box, nothing. When I finally got ahold of someone i was called a liar and said they are all hand packed and "i know the guy that packs these and he wouldn't forget a charger." It took me 17 days to get a response, i finally commented on enough facebook posts that they replied to an email and then called me back. It's sad that they won't return calls or emails, but they update their facebook 20 times a day.

That being said, the LX7 is an amazing flasher, I often run my LX 6 in graph mode and the LX 7 in flasher and vertical zoom at the same time, just because i enjoy the looks.

i found the only way to get thru to them is to hammer their phone line until some one picks it up. you may not like how they treat you, but at least they are trying to help.
i emailed them and never got a response. that was over a month ago. thinking they are in way over their heads and need to hire support people.
a discussion has been started in equipment on that matter.

your short description fits the bill, other than phone support. don't quit on the phone lines if you get a recording use redial. took me 2 times to get a person when i tried using their phone #.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=312717.0

Offline thebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Marcum, just like strikemaster, joined the ranks of the rapala group and now their customer service is horrible.

I ended up returning the LX-7, getting a new one off the shelf, and seeing that it had a charger and did an exchange for it. The store was very apologetic and said they would just contact marcum; i wished them the best of luck.

They were as of a week ago, selling that unit as an open box return WITHOUT a charger; which leads me to believe marcum didn't help them either.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:19 PM »
I have an LX9 and I have had it about three seasons now with no issues that weren't my fault. The firmware updates are pretty nice to seen as they seem to add or change features and options with them.  Never had to deal with customer service of Marcum and I had at one point three of their sonar units. Sold my showdown to a friends and he still uses it every time out and has had zero issues that weren't fixed by me showing him how to make an adjustment or change a setting.

Offline ajahrendt07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:34 PM »
Love my LX-7....best purchase I have made for the ice. The battery is one thing I was worried about with the LED screen and all the features...however, the battery has been nothing but great. It died once on me after a day of fishing with the backlight cranked up bright and using it that way from sunrise until after dark. I have had no issues or complaints with the system and its been great.

Offline mrotho2002

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • true
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:30 PM »
2 years lx7 owner love it tons of options biggest thing is learning setup for different bottoms rock to Mudd steep drop offs to flats even Cliffsides, once I got it figured out fairly easy to run and gun I drill tons of holes I wrote marcum want them to make 5 name able  save spots for setup so you just choose steep, rock and so on.  Target separation very good bottom read awesome certain bottoms I can see my jig a half inch off the bottom.  Love the graph mixed with vertical zoom so I can see my jigging movements that led to a bite very real time also enjoy being able to know cone angle size right on screen puts alot in perspective .  Just purchased high speed transducer nice feature can't wait to use.  Have had 0 issues other than I threw the bag out hated it just use it like the vexilar case.  All being said marcum will continue to improve and anyone that owns one will be available for upgrade with a USB port which is nice and I think one of the best parts.  To the vex fl28 very good machine my fried has one and when both set up correctly they are very close as far as Just a flasher but as far as features and in the next few years with upgrades the marcum will be blowing them away as far as technology and options vex will have to go digital eventually, battery wise full 12 hour fishing day they both need charged for next day. Hope this helps
Team walleyice

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2015, 02:50 PM »
3rd year with my lx7. Zero problems. I use it in deep water for lakers. Works tits. I set my display up with graph zoom ( for a little history), flasher (to watch water entire column & catch suspenders) and zoom vertical bar to watch my jigging. Love the machine!

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2015, 03:52 PM »
My experience with Marcum customer service was okay. They sent me a charger right away although the rep had a sketchy comment "Hoping I had something to charge my battery with for the couple days the mailed one would take". Not sure that comment was necessary but they did get a charger to me within a week. Unit is great albeit I am still learning it. Prefer my Vex 18 for hole hopping as it is easier to carry hole to hole.

Offline wapak ice dawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2015, 07:54 PM »
I've had an eagle fish finder, the aqua view quad camera, the fl 8 and a fl 18, I thought I was done buying electronic gadgets for ice fishing until I seen the lowrance elite 4 at work. Within a half hour I was hooked on this thing and amazed of everything it can do for me, so I went home and ordered the lowrance elite 4 and now I patiently waiting for the UPS man to show up so I can hit the lake. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the old reliable 18 or leave her at home and learn on the fly .

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2015, 10:57 PM »
I have an lx6 very similar unit of you want to check it out if we end up fishing DCL or another place the same weekend.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2015, 06:48 PM »
LX-7 has a lot of bells and whistles, but many flaws as well.  I purchased mine at the beginning of the season and slightly regret my decision.

What is the reason for your regret?

Offline slipsliden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Only hi-cup is it can be hard for others to fish around you.. Much worse than any other flasher for interference.

Offline yotepounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Zero problems with humminbird. Even in the same hut. But lowrance and vex a different story

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2015, 03:19 AM »
Second season on my 7 and still loving everything about it. Had a problem with dynamic depth at first. Talked to CS which were very helpfull. They said to wait until the new update was available and see what happens. That fixed the problem. Only complaint is the charger not turning green when fully charged. I contacted them about it and they sent me a new one free of charge, but this one rarely turns green either. I just turn it on and look at the gauge to see if it's charged. Not a big deal.

Offline Augusta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:55 PM »
I like my LX-7.  The battery lasts surprisingly well with the "big screen".  It is easy to use and marks fish.  The balance of the factory case could use some adjustments - I think if the handle was sewn just a little bit forward it would be easier and more comfortable to hole hop.  The one thing about it that irritates me to no end is the glare - with or without the snow shield, if you aren't in a house - it is horrible!!!  The screen glare is the one thing about this unit that has made me question my decision.  I am wondering if an anti-glare screen protector for an iPad might help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.