Author Topic: Anyone NOT have problems with LX3tc or LX5?  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone NOT have problems with LX3tc or LX5?
« on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Saw a good deal on a LX-5 ($399) so I ordered it up, based on reviews and comparisons to Vexilar it seemed like a good unit.

Did some research and apparently they are prone to bad motors, at least in the last year or two. Curious if anyone has a ton of hours on theirs that has been purchased in the last couple years and hasn't had any issues?

Seeing the stories of people returning them multiple times and still having issues makes me a bit nervous.
See you on the ice!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
Re: Anyone NOT have problems with LX3tc or LX5?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I have both. I bought them within a few weeks of one another in Feb-March of 2009. I still have my Vex FL-18 as well that I let my Mrs. or my Son use when we fish together. I use both Marcum units frequently every season with the LX-5 seeing more time on the ice than the LX-3tc and I've never had an issue with either one. I see that some folks out there are having problems but I personally have not. I know a fella that's somewhat of a newcomer to ice fishing and he told me that he doesn't like the LX-7 he bought last winter. He fishes mostly shallow water, less that 12-15ft and he says he can't tell his jig from weeds, small fish etc. I have not had the opportunity to fish with him yet, but my suspicion is that he doesn't know how to properly set up or "adjust" his unit to the depth he's fishing.

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline PolarEscape

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:46 PM »
I have the LX5 and absolutely love it, my friend has a Vex FL18 and my Marcum LX5 works so much better. Very Clear and Easy to read. My 10 yr old daughter can use it. I swear it at least triples my catch. Im sure you will not be disappointed with your purchase. I also have under water cameras which are nice at times for catching panfish in shallow water, but the are limited to only a few feet of visability, with the flasher you can read the entire water column from top to bottom. I paid $500 for mine so you got a steal of a deal. Good Fishing!

Offline Barebow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always fishing for something!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:36 PM »
I've had my LX-5 for 4 years, and it works perfectly.  I have separation of incredible order, such that I have seen a 5 inch smelt approach my 1/4 oz tungsten jig, and not feel the smelt but when the mark merges and turns red, lift and smelt is on...Amazing, I usually fish deeper that 15 feet level, no experience shallower...
Barebow   

Offline tjacob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I have had LX 5 for about five years with zero problems. Had an LX-3 which I just sold and upgraded to an LX-6. Had a problem with the 3 when I got it used. It had a bad transducer and no charger. Had to pay for both as this was out of warranty, but once that was fixed-flawless. So far not problems with the LX 6, but like you say there seems to be a growing number of folks having difficulties with their units or customer service. When I bought the 6 it came without a charger. So I emailed C.S. and they sent one out to me the next day. I called them also because I wanted to know if I needed to update my software. They answered on the second ring and took care of me. I honestly can't figure out why all these people are having so many problems with C.S. Everything has worked great for me so far. And I've never been considered a lucky person.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:02 PM »
I've had my LX-5 for four years now ... always works perfectly! :thumbsup:
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:06 PM »
That is a great price

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Good to hear not every flasher has problems, fingers crossed. Don't want to deal with sending it in for repair. Ive had a showdown troller since the first year it came out and I don't think its ever worked quite right.

I'm interested to see how it compares to my fishing partners fl-18, bottom zoom specifically.
See you on the ice!

Offline fishngameguy2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:13 PM »
I had an LX5 for 6 years with no problems at all. Just sold for $300 and purchased the LX9!!!  Love the new one more! LOL

Offline dab65

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2015, 05:08 AM »
3 of us bought LX-5's. The father in law an I bought ours at least 5 years ago and a buddy of mine bought his a year late. Of the 3 I was the only one who had a minor problem(noisy motor) which Marcum promptly took care of. Had not had another problem since. Athough I did sell the father in laws after he died. I now have a 7 which other then a few minor glithes which the newest update took care of I haven't had any problems with either. I still own the 5 which I did take out and use just the other day. I don't know if things have changed as far as the CS at Marcum. I have seen quite a few people unhappy with not being able to get ahold of them. I am and always have been happy with Marcum's and would buy again if I had to.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2015, 06:08 AM »
I am curious to know if the motor issue came up when they switch from 2000w to 2500w  ???

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:11 AM »
I am curious to know if the motor issue came up when they switch from 2000w to 2500w  ???

That is what I gather. That's why I asked for users who have bought in the last couple years. The originals were rock solid.
See you on the ice!

Offline andrew229

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2015, 08:59 AM »
I got a vx-1p for christmas thats currently in for warranty repairs. Bad motor. The whole screen would jump in unison like the bottom of the lake was bouncing one foot in either direction. Tried swapping batteries and checked all my connections. I like the unit when its working but kind of annoying that theyre having issues, and it seems like the issues are across most all models. Guess ill go back to using the fl-8 for a while.

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:03 AM »
That is what I gather. That's why I asked for users who have bought in the last couple years. The originals were rock solid.

I really don't know why but you might be onto something . I still have the first year LX-3 and first year LX-5  . The cases are getting that lop eared well read  book look because they have been used so much , but never has there been an issue . My buds who all got Lx-5 's around then or the year after don't have issues either .

TD

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:04 AM »
I got a vx-1p for christmas thats currently in for warranty repairs. Bad motor. The whole screen would jump in unison like the bottom of the lake was bouncing one foot in either direction. Tried swapping batteries and checked all my connections. I like the unit when its working but kind of annoying that theyre having issues, and it seems like the issues are across most all models. Guess ill go back to using the fl-8 for a while.
come on.leave this guys thread alone and join us at the whose Marcum is in the shop right now thread.this thread is for people not having problems.haha.just kidding around.

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:58 AM »
come on.leave this guys thread alone and join us at the whose Marcum is in the shop right now thread.this thread is for people not having problems.haha.just kidding around.

Lol.  That's why I started this thread. Most people only come to the forum to complain about issues. Figured I'd start one for people without issues.

I think I might return it and jump to the Vex side. I really don't want to deal with warranty repair and downtime.
See you on the ice!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Lol.  That's why I started this thread. Most people only come to the forum to complain about issues. Figured I'd start one for people without issues.

I think I might return it and jump to the Vex side. I really don't want to deal with warranty repair and downtime.

I will be in that boat, if I have issues with my LX-6.  I am giving Marcum the benefit of the doubt, and chalking my experience with the Lx-5 up to "I got a lemon".  I really like the target separation, fine lines, and moveable zoom features on the Marcum's, but what good are they if I have to have them serviced all the time.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:22 AM »
I have a twelve year old FL18 and a four year old LX5. The only thing I have needed with either of them was a new battery.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Dirt_Guru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 AM »
I'm on year 2 with my LX5.  It works great.  The only problem it has given me is a dead battery after year 1. That was an easy fix.

Offline Cterp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2015, 10:57 AM »
3rd year with my LX3tc - no issues here......same battery too!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Bought a LX3tc last year. In twice last year for motor/screen rocking. Back in this year and they promptly replaced it with new/different head and all is fine. Has worked great since. Luckily I have back-up units that I could use during down time. Otherwise it would have been excruciating!...lol..I also had good luck with e-mailing the service department..always got a prompt response..
Paul

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Bought a LX3tc last year. In twice last year for motor/screen rocking. Back in this year and they promptly replaced it with new/different head and all is fine. Has worked great since. Luckily I have back-up units that I could use during down time. Otherwise it would have been excruciating!...lol..I also had good luck with e-mailing the service department..always got a prompt response..
Paul
X2
I bought an LX-3TC and love mine. I had this same issue and Marcum Customer service cant be beat. I got mine back after sending it in for the rocking issue, and got it back in a week. No issues since. ALSO....
Marcum units are made in the USA!
Chasing Ice

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Paul

3 times for service in not even 2 years is unacceptable, in my opinion. I would lose the feeling of dependability. If I cannot trust my locator, I might as well stay home.
See you on the ice!

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:04 PM »
3 times for service in not even 2 years is unacceptable, in my opinion. I would lose the feeling of dependability. If I cannot trust my locator, I might as well stay home.
The units still work fine. Its just annoying to watch your colors move up and down like your in a boat with high waves. Nonetheless, I get your point Tackle.

I am curious to know if Vex or Hum honors their product as well as Marcum.

Think about Toyota with the frame recalls. Most car manf. would never even think about honoring their product like Toyota did, and guess what, tacomas are still one of the highest rated and most dependable trucks out there.

Okay fellas, now that I have stirred the ford/Chevy/Yota pot, lets try to stay within the scope of this thread huh?
Chasing Ice

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:05 PM »
MARCUM - MADE.IN.THE.U.S.A (DID I MENTION THAT?)
Chasing Ice

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Marcum made in USA with Chinese parts?

Offline Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:25 PM »
Where it's made doesn't matter to me as long as it's reliable. My girlfriend wasn't made in the USA but she's perfect for me, very reliable.
See you on the ice!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:29 PM »
im the same way.i dont care where anything is made either as long as it works for many years.i do have a showdown troller 2.0 that has 2 years running with no problems.but the vx1pro and the lx3tc are a different story.i seem to like to try out and compare flashers and sell the weaker unit.i started with a vexilar fl8 and a Marcum vx1pro.the vexilar is still running going on its 7th years with same battery and the vx1 has been to the shop twice in the same amount of time.ended up selling them both.then the next comparison was the vexilar fl20 and the marcum lx3tc.after barely a year running both the vexilar keeps on running and the Marcum went to the shop already.i like the Marcum display and its quieter than the vexilar  but im not purchasing another Marcum.i will probably end up with the flx28 some day but im keeping the fl20 also.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2015, 12:42 PM »
Where it's made doesn't matter to me as long as it's reliable. My girlfriend wasn't made in the USA but she's perfect for me, very reliable.
:thumbsup:

That's perfect!!!
Good point.

Im still happy with my Marcum. The one issue I have had was honored by Marcum, so I stand by it. USA made or not :)

Chasing Ice

Offline CW3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2015, 02:56 PM »
LX-5

2 years old no problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.