The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: artificial light  (Read 1544 times)

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
artificial light
« on: Aug 25, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Has anyone heard of the possible changes coming up? Currently the law is a real grey law and pretty much at wardens digression. As of right now glow lures, under water cameras at night or even fishing with a lantern around the water is illegal. They are trying to make it that any use of light will be legal for fishing except for scuba divers taking game fish. I'm kinda looking forward to this may even look into an underwater drop light. Had anybody ever tried underwater lights for night fishing?  Do you think they make any sort of difference?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: artificial light
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2014, 09:38 PM »
fishingeorge:

The artificial light regulation will be considered at the Sept. WGFD Commission meeting.  If the Commission approves the regulation, and it looks like they will, it will become effective on January 1, 2015.

ClearCreek

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2014, 10:03 PM »
I claimed " possible change " :) I know that it still has to go through it's process but hey might be something to look forward too.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:10 PM »
I claimed " possible change " :) I know that it still has to go through it's process but hey might be something to look forward too.

fishingeorge:

The process for the artificial light regulation has, for the most part, been completed.  The public comment period ended on August 17, and it is my understanding there were no negative public comments regarding the artificial light regulation. Really the only thing that has to happen now is the Game and Fish Commission will discuss the proposed changes to the fishing regulations (there are several other regulation changes that will be considered along with the artificial light regulation) and vote to either accept or reject the proposals.  That G&F Commission meeting is scheduled for mid Sept. so we will know the results in a little over 2 weeks.  As I mentioned above, if the G&F Commission votes to accept the new fishing regs they will become effective on January 1, 2015.

ClearCreek

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2014, 11:06 AM »
UPDATE

Today (Sept. 18) the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission voted to pass the proposed fishiing regulations which included the artificial light regulation. The regulation changes will have to be approved and signed by the Gov. and it will become effective on January 1 2015.

ClearCreek

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM »
2 Questions:

Is this regulation only for lures or light that are under the water/ice surface either lit by a glow stick or battery operated light source?

Would a lure coated with glow paint continue to be legal as it is only charged above the water?   
So many fish, so little time.

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I believe if I understood right it will leagalize all lights above and below water but don't quote me yet.. but that is how I understand it so far

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I believe if I understood right it will leagalize all lights above and below water but don't quote me yet.. but that is how I understand it so far

fishingeorge:

You understand it correctly.  The artificial light regulation that was passed today by the Game and Fish Commission would allow both of the situations that doublehaul mentions.  As I mentioned above, the regulation will have to be approved and signed by the Governor and then it will become effective on January 1, 2015.

ClearCreek

Offline fishingeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Clear creek thank you so much on providing so much information. I sure appreciate it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2014, 01:50 PM »
This is good news  :thumbsup: opens up some different ways to fish at night for sure. I always like to try something new. Might help us put a bigger hurt on the burbot this year at the gorge. Hope the Gov passes on it   :bow: :bow: Thanks for the info clear creek
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I've used lanterns at night for Crappies ...last year started to drop a green light outside my flip over door ...caught a lot of fish using both methods ..hope your Governor signs it into law. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:41 PM »
Works great for Walleyes, with their super-sensitive light gathering eyes...at least here.  ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2014, 10:33 PM »
http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Departments/Hunting/pdfs/ARTIFICIAL_LIGHT_BROCHURE0000088.pdf

Dirty P:

The things listed in the "prohibited for fishing" section of the brochure you posted will become legal on January 1, 2015, if the Governor signs the regulation changes that were passed at the September 18 Game and Fish Commissioner's meeting in Pinedale.  It does not appear there will be a problem with the Gov. signing the regulations.

ClearCreek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.