The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: started auger today  (Read 1578 times)

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
started auger today
« on: Aug 17, 2014, 11:27 AM »
i bought a strikemaster auger this spring, its a 1997 and was used twice, it sure looks it too...brand new. i changed gas today and wonder about using saber oil in the gas..anyone have a pro or con to this?
I am haunted by waters...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: started auger today
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2014, 12:00 PM »
Lot of reading but a good informational thread       
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38599.0

I use Opti2 , Seafoam and 87 oct with 10% ethanol ...sometime  ago I read a little tip in In-fisherman magazine which stating using the gasoline that was available during the winter months in your Strikemaster auger as it was R&D with that in mind ( can't seem to find that knowledge/tip on the web though)....I also store it "wet" meaning don't run it dry at the end of the season...fill tank and periodically run it through the summer months....I did run it dry once in the first season ....what a bear to get started the next season ...also it may dry out some gaskets and diaphragm..so its wet for me

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aagv_prd/on/demandware.static/Sites-rapala-Site/Sites-rapala-Library/default/v1408016408688/downloads/strikemaster/2hp_operator_manual.pdf?id=11
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2014, 09:56 PM »
Many thanks, i believe i will use saber, as, people seem to like it very much. now its my turn to enjoy it. thanks for the help !

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2014, 11:01 PM »
I do the exact same thing as hardwater diehard. Store it wet and opti 2. Fire it up 3-4 times in the summer and let it run for a few minutes then put it back in the garage. Fires up in about 2-3 pulls every time.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2014, 10:06 AM »
The 3 S's have worked for me also.  I store it wet with Sabre (Amsoil product), Seafoam and Start it up periodically.  I do the same with my 2 stroke snowmobiles and everything seems to start and run good ! The oil costs a little more but with the 100 to 1 mix it cuts that cost in half.  Also, the synthetic oil doesn't foul the plugs near as bad, and everything starts good. Happy Trails

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Started mine up just now for the first time since march. 3rd pull! niiiiiiice
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2014, 06:37 PM »
The one good thing you have going for you  is odds are the gas doesn't have enthanol in it.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:24 AM »
yeah, no kidding. but i didn't trust it and switched it out already.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I run Stabil in all my small engines and have for over 20 years!! Good stuff!!!! My mower can sit all winter and always has started on the first or second pull every spring!! Many good additives out there, just use one!!!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Wyo Outdoorsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I run Stabil in all my small engines and have for over 20 years!! Good stuff!!!! My mower can sit all winter and always has started on the first or second pull every spring!! Many good additives out there, just use one!!!! :thumbsup:

I will second that on Stabil, I use it in everything that I have that I don't use that often or is seasonal and I forget to run in the off time, even in my 1979 Corvette.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I run Stabil  in the gas of all my small engines year round! It has a carb cleaner in it that really helps!! I don't let the family run anything unless I've added Stabil!! I've worn off the wheels and replaced them on my old mower and it always starts first or second pull!!!! (knock on wood!!)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2014, 02:18 PM »
i bought a strikemaster auger this spring, its a 1997 and was used twice, it sure looks it too...brand new. i changed gas today and wonder about using saber oil in the gas..anyone have a pro or con to this?

Black and white mag 2000? 
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I have an older Strikemaster auger.  All I feed it is Saber oil at 100 to 1.  Runs great, almost no odor, and no oil dripping out from the muffler.  I really like the Saber envelops that mix with one gallon of gas.  Oh, Seafoam in every tank, too.

Come on ice!
Keith

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:26 PM »
I have an older Strikemaster auger.  All I feed it is Saber oil at 100 to 1.  Runs great, almost no odor, and no oil dripping out from the muffler.  I really like the Saber envelops that mix with one gallon of gas.  Oh, Seafoam in every tank, too.

Come on ice!
Keith
I find no dealer around Fremont county, so how do you get it?
olefish

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:13 AM »
If you search "Amsoil dealers in Riverton, WY", you should find some. It seems like it goes for around $1.45 per packet (for one gallon of gas).  Sometimes they will sell it for less.

Keith

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.